BILLBOARD : 100 Greatest Car Songs Of All Time ...

Syd era or Gilmour era? I'm a Syd-era guy (y)
Both. Although I favor Gilmore. His music, and the Bands, became much more "Listenable", after Gilmore joined.
I liked Syd a lot but, the psychedelic of his music was a bit over the top. For me anyway.
Imho, Gilmore is a musical genius. His guitar talent is literally out of this world. And, he was always a great vocalist as well.

Both. Although I favor Gilmore. His music, and the Bands, became much more "Listenable", after Gilmore joined.
I liked Syd a lot but, the psychedelic of his music was a bit over the top. For me anyway.
Imho, Gilmore is a musical genius. His guitar talent is literally out of this world. And, he was always a great vocalist as well.
Ever hear the songs "On An Island" by David Gilmour? Such an awesome song!!

I guess I’m getting old as I don’t recognize a lot of those songs and artists.

Who ranks Kraftwerk’s Autobahn ahead of Highway Star and Dead Mans Curve? The nincompoops making this list didn’t even include Hot Rod Lincoln. That in of itself renders the whole thing a waste.
Whose Bruce Springsteen?

Understandably, as mentioned previously, everyone's list will be a bit different. Given the broad definition they allowed in "car songs" in the article I offer these notable mentions to a few which didn't make it, and could probably replace of few on there ....
- Hey Little Cobra,
- Little Honda, (it's about a motorcycle and not a car ... but still, it's way better than some of the garbage on the published list)
- Green Onions (impossible to hear it without thinking of the famous intro into the drag race scene in American Graffiti)
- One piece at a time (love me come Cash)
- Uneasy rider (can't believe this didn't make the list in the top 20, let along didn't make it at all)
- Hot Rod Lincoln
- When the bullet hits the Bone
- Pink Cadillac
- Get out of Denver
- Makin' Thunderbirds
- Cadillac Ranch
- Sharp Dressed Man (or about any other song off the Eliminator album; yes - it was vinyl when I first purchased it)

My vociferous and vehement objection culminates into near fury-driven rage on #2. Fast Car? Seriously? I'm supposed to be excited about driving by listening to some melodramatic regurgitation of boredom and escape manifesting into a really s-l-o-w, emotionally draining ballad??????? Come on now; that's just terrible. It's not a terrible song, but it's not a good "car song". And it sure as Hades doesn't merit being number 2.

I hereby denounce that entire Billboard list, insert my own superior selections, and challenge each and every one of the "staffers" to a good ol' fashioned race for pinks.

Last edited:
My vociferous and vehement objection culminates into near fury-driven rage on #2. Fast Car? Seriously? I'm supposed to be excited about driving by listening to some melodramatic regurgitation of boredom and escape manifesting into a really s-l-o-w, emotionally draining ballad??????? Come on now; that's just terrible. It's not a terrible song, but it's not a good "car song". And it sure as Hades doesn't merit being number 2.
I agree! (y)

And #1,Springsteen?? I wonder who paid the publisher enough $$ to put that one in🤮.

I agree! (y)

And #1,Springsteen?? I wonder who paid the publisher enough $$ to put that one in🤮.

Little Deuce Coupe-Beach Boys
409-Beach Boys
Ballad of ol Betsy-Beach Boys
Hey Little Cobra-Rip Chords
Three Window Coupe-Rip Chords

A few of my fave car songs.
I find the Beach Boys a little wimpy in this category. Need some good Deep Purple 💜 Born to Run makes those goody two shoes B Boys tunes sound like lullabies. You wanna run with the devil or hang around with Potsy?

Last edited:
I find the Beach Boys a little wimpy in this category. Need some good Deep Purple 💜 Born to Run makes those goody two shoes B Boys tunes sound like lullabies. You wanna run with the devil or hang around with Potsy?
My fave Deep Purple song:

Haha Potsy!! :ROFLMAO:

Back