RockAuto slipping up on inventory control?

OMG! so they shipped it right from the return department!
So, I guess it was wrong for whoever sent it back, and I'm guessing it's wrong for you too?
Maybe, or the return department wrote that and it still got thrown back into circulation. They may just look at a parts number on the side of the box and don't see the sharpie writing.

That sucks… I know that type of stuff happens with Amazon a lot but never would’ve thought it would be an issue at RA..
How would they be any different? Most people wouldn't recognize a correct bearing if you smacked them in the head with one.

How would they be any different? Most people wouldn't recognize a correct bearing if you smacked them in the head with one.

Because I assumed that warehouses that RA uses are more familiar with car parts than Amazon whom sells pretty much everything.

Because I assumed that warehouses that RA uses are more familiar with car parts than Amazon whom sells pretty much everything.
How different does the correct bearing look from the ones received?

How would folks working the job in returns know the difference? Honest question, its a bearing that fits in the box - box may have had “wrong bearing” written on it, but I can assure you they have seen all manners of returns, right or wrong.

How would folks working the job in returns know the difference? Honest question, its a bearing that fits in the box - box may have had “wrong bearing” written on it, but I can assure you they have seen all manners of returns, right or wrong.
The bearing/race is going to have its number printed or etched onto it. Should match the box. Probably giving the employees inspecting it too much credit I suppose.

The place that fulfilled the order is United Auto Supply, a parts wholesaler, so one might expect so.

However, a warehouse full of auto parts is still mostly bunch of stuff in boxes, and the people being paid to pick the orders or process the returns probably don't care any more than those inside Amazon's, while trying not to pee themselves until they're allowed go to the bathroom or take their break.

Based on others who have chimed in, it just might be the way they do business.

First Maxlife reformulation, now RockAuto…

I don’t know if my heart can handle it …

I doubt that RA has the resources to check every returned item for correct part-to-part number. The returns department wouldn't have a stock of parts to compare the returned parts with. Especially if the return address is on every shipping label regardless of where the package is shipped from.

If a box had a hand written "wrong part" on it I wouldn't just ship it back out. Obviously, RA need some improvement in this area.

The place that fulfilled the order is United Auto Supply, a parts wholesaler, so one might expect so.

However, a warehouse full of auto parts is still mostly bunch of stuff in boxes, and the people being paid to pick the orders or process the returns probably don't care any more than those inside Amazon's, while trying not to pee themselves until they're allowed go to the bathroom or take their break.

Based on others who have chimed in, it just might be the way they do business.

I read through the reviews and they look pretty sad.. This particular review about United Auto Supply (if it’s true) is rather concerning

Attachments

• IMG_5177.jpeg
    IMG_5177.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 21
Rock Auto sells for a network of independent wholesale parts jobbers. Some of the parts I've ordered in the recent years seem to come from the Syracuse location. No problems with any of them. I've done hundreds of orders over what must be about 20 years. There had been a location in the Bronx that shipped damaged parts to me on several occasions. Likely returns. Each time, it was "keep the part" and replacement or refund made. That was 5-10 years ago. I haven't seen anything from that source for some years.

Rock Auto sells for a network of independent wholesale parts jobbers. Some of the parts I've ordered in the recent years seem to come from the Syracuse location. No problems with any of them. I've done hundreds of orders over what must be about 20 years. There had been a location in the Bronx that shipped damaged parts to me on several occasions. Likely returns. Each time, it was "keep the part" and replacement or refund made. That was 5-10 years ago. I haven't seen anything from that source for some years.
I got a returned damaged power steering pump from a RA location in Port Washington, NY. The hose barb on the plastic reservoir was broken off and missing. It was packed in the original ACDelco box that was mangled. This box was put in another box that was too small and the flaps were just bent over and the opening was just taped over.

I kept the pump thinking I would just get a reservoir down the road. The car is now gone and I have no use for the pump. Most of the cars that this pump fits have either committed suicide or their owners murdered them (drove them off cliffs).

And the hits just keep on coming… (Another order) After sending an email about an order I placed last Friday, RA’s CS rep stated today that their warehouse confirmed that my order from last Friday had already been shipped out and UPS is the one not updating their systems.. Well, I’ve had this tracking number since Friday and just about 15 mins ago this finally updated as I refresh the page every 30 mins hoping for an update... Do these reps think we are just plain stupid and won’t look into the tracking details? Lol

Attachments

• IMG_5179.jpeg
    IMG_5179.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5180.jpg
    IMG_5180.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 15
Knock on wood, I have bought quite a lot over the years and haven't had a wrong part/used part yet/defective part yet.

Knock on wood, I have bought quite a lot over the years and haven't had a wrong part/used part yet/defective part yet.

I’m hoping for the best but so far all of my parts have been coming from the United Auto Supply warehouse in NY… I’m in California

I’m hoping for the best but so far all of my parts have been coming from the United Auto Supply warehouse in NY… I’m in California
just wow.. are you sure you can't find these parts at summit racing or even amazon (shipped/sold by them)? I read the reviews of that place in NY, just wow.. This whole thing that you've been going through mirrors what happened to me a couple years ago. I finally just gave up with RA completely. The hassle wasn't worth it anymore.

And the hits just keep on coming… (Another order) After sending an email about an order I placed last Friday, RA’s CS rep stated today that their warehouse confirmed that my order from last Friday had already been shipped out and UPS is the one not updating their systems.. Well, I’ve had this tracking number since Friday and just about 15 mins ago this finally updated as I refresh the page every 30 mins hoping for an update... Do these reps think we are just plain stupid and won’t look into the tracking details? Lol
when have I even seen UPS not update their tracking? Now the post office, yes.. But UPS or even Fedex, no, they're usually on it. I'm wondering if RA is doing that ebay trick, where the seller says "oh yes it's been shipped" only to meet performance standards/metrics so they can claim they're shipping on-time!? Sounds like it.

The only time I've seen something odd was when a shipper sends all the day's orders out on a truck and let the shipping company scan it at the sorting center. Then the tracking shows up in the middle of the night, I still get it on time though.

just wow.. are you sure you can't find these parts at summit racing or even amazon (shipped/sold by them)? I read the reviews of that place in NY, just wow.. This whole thing that you've been going through mirrors what happened to me a couple years ago. I finally just gave up with RA completely. The hassle wasn't worth it anymore.

I am definitely going to start shopping elsewhere.. Summit has always been good to me and being they their Nevada location is 2 hours northeast of me makes shipping fast.

Back