Rock Auto Outrageous Shipping

Like said, you're not going to save money buying oil filters through RA unless you're bundling them into a larger order, or it's a case of 12 close-out filters, etc.

RA is a better choice for electronic parts vs Amazon, eBay, etc. Less chance of getting counterfeit parts.

In terms of RA brake part purchases, I find I save nearly 50% vs buying brake parts at a local store.

I usyally buy local unless there'sa huge price differenceand I have a week or more to wait for it.

Keeps the guys working there working plus if it's holding up a job, it's done now and not a week or two later.

I usyally buy local unless there'sa huge price differenceand I have a week or more to wait for it.

Keeps the guys working there working plus if it's holding up a job, it's done now and not a week or two later.
Plus if you buy it local you can inspect it so you don't get ripped off like @KCJeep did. Poor guy

Amazon isn't much different. You often have to buy $35 worth of parts to get the free shipping. So that $15 air filter becomes an additional $20 worth of parts you may not need but buy to get the free shipping. And unless you have the prime membership, they often wait days before shipping it, even though the actual shipping time is the same. On RA I often get the part in 2 days, sometimes the next day even with the cheapest shipping.

I bet they are shipping from multiple locations. The trick with RA is to pick parts that will ship from the same location, then your shipping cost will be decent.

A lot of times, I notice RA has a much lower price for an item, but when you factor in their shipping vs Amazon's shipping, the shipped cost is about the same. Then you gotta look at how fast it will get to you as another variable. Just like for any item, if you want the best deal you gotta do a little legwork. Jumping on here and complaining isn't going to lower the shipping cost and likely will have someone like @kschachn bomb you with dozens of links to other similar posts.
I try to play the part's warehouse game- but their grouping makes no sense to me.

There are no secrets or hidden charges with RA. Black and White, full disclosure when shopping. If you don't think there is value from specific orders, move on. Buy somewhere else! Whining about something like RA's business practices is pathetic. Nobody is forcing you to use them. So don't!

Amazon isn't much different. You often have to buy $35 worth of parts to get the free shipping. So that $15 air filter becomes an additional $20 worth of parts you may not need but buy to get the free shipping. And unless you have the prime membership, they often wait days before shipping it, even though the actual shipping time is the same. On RA I often get the part in 2 days, sometimes the next day even with the cheapest shipping.
Must be something for wherever you are. I can buy a $2 item if I want.

Must be something for wherever you are. I can buy a $2 item if I want.
Prime is free ship on everything amazon sells. Prime is $149 per year. I just put mine on hold - not worth it anymore.

Without Prime its $35 minimum. Same as Walmart.

Difference between walmart / amazon and RA is you can add toilet paper or laundry soap or whatever to your order to make the cut pretty easily, so your buying stuff you would likely buy anyway.

WARNING: This has been mentioned before.
I've described in detail how, when selecting parts from the same warehouse to minimize shipping costs, the warehouses are changed such that shipping charges are compounded.
I have not fabricated nor exaggerated this occurrence. Others here have experienced this.
Added warehouses boosts costs by quite a bit. This is what people here post complaints about.

This proves the shipping method used on RA is dishonest.

The real kicker has come from members here who defend this dishonest practice by basically saying, "Hey man, they're in business to make money". What kind of childish belligerence is that? This view point as wildly detached from reality.
How does one brush aside such plainly dishonest practices?

All I can think of is that this insane dismissiveness is just part of the new world.
Even sloinker's post above is dismissive; RA's warehouse game is covered by, "Just shop elsewhere".
Pointing out blatant dishonesty isn't whining.

I pre-plan vehicle maintenance as much as I can and order through RA. I only order "from one warehouse".
I inspect what's delivered and jump on any needed returns.
I've been sent dented oil filters with paper strips stating that these known damaged filters are not returnable.
Oh, and sloinker, including paper slips which forbid me from returning known damaged items is in NO WAY "full disclosure".
Decide to play their game or not but don't lose sight of the plain and proven fact that they do dishonest things.
You can't blanketly defend them.....unless you're a stockholder and you're lying to enrich yourself.

And yes, there's still lots of stuff I'll only buy locally.

Yes, 2024 is a dishonest world to be sure.

I can buy from RA and deal with as described above, all of it true. I'll add warranty is often a pain or denied.

I can buy from Amazon and get counterfeit on many things.

I can buy from Walmart but my selection is very limited.

I can buy from the local parts place and pay double on many things.

You can have good, fast, or cheap. On a really lucky day you might find 2. Takes your picks. My orders depend on what it is - except the parts place. I would rather just order OEM if available than buy from the local retail boxes.

WARNING: This has been mentioned before.
I've described in detail how, when selecting parts from the same warehouse to minimize shipping costs, the warehouses are changed such that shipping charges are compounded.
I have not fabricated nor exaggerated this occurrence. Others here have experienced this.
Added warehouses boosts costs by quite a bit. This is what people here post complaints about.

The real kicker has come from members here who defend this dishonest practice by basically saying, "Hey man, they're in business to make money". What kind of childish belligerence is that? This view point as wildly detached from reality.
How does one brush aside such plainly dishonest practices?

All I can think of is that this insane dismissiveness is just part of the new world.
Even sloinker's post above is dismissive; RA's warehouse game is covered by, "Just shop elsewhere".
Pointing out blatant dishonesty isn't whining.

I pre-plan vehicle maintenance as much as I can and order through RA. I only order "from one warehouse".
I inspect what's delivered and jump on any needed returns.
I've been sent dented oil filters with paper strips stating that these known damaged filters are not returnable.
Oh, and sloinker, including paper slips which forbid me from returning known damaged items is in NO WAY "full disclosure".
Decide to play their game or not but don't lose sight of the plain and proven fact that they do dishonest things.
You can't blanketly defend them.....unless you're a stockholder and you're lying to enrich yourself.

And yes, there's still lots of stuff I'll only buy locally.
It's not dishonest. You just don't like it. I am only talking about the ordering process. You know up front the cost, irrespective of the process which you don't like. There are no secrets, utilize them as a part source or don't. Choose someone else if it makes you happy. The after purchase debate is fair game. I have gotten enough fake parts from other vendors that I am hesitant to use them. I find myself more and more using the dealership to source parts. Talk about price shock! I just gulp and pay. I don't get online and shame Toyota for their outrageous OEM replacement part prices.

Well don't say we American's never gave you anything 🙃
You mean Tim Hortons? Or is that the other way around.

IMG_8596.JPG

Back