Rock Auto Outrageous Shipping

Prime is free ship on everything amazon sells. Prime is $149 per year. I just put mine on hold - not worth it anymore.

Without Prime its $35 minimum. Same as Walmart.

Difference between walmart / amazon and RA is you can add toilet paper or laundry soap or whatever to your order to make the cut pretty easily, so your buying stuff you would likely buy anyway.
Gotcha. I tried non prime and the 2+ week shipping was a no go. Prime is usually 7-10 day shipping.

Not sure on Walmart, haven't been there in years.

Gotcha. I tried non prime and the 2+ week shipping was a no go. Prime is usually 7-10 day shipping.

Not sure on Walmart, haven't been there in years.
Being in Alaska I understand. In 2009 we moved to a small town in South Carolina, so Prime was a godsend. It was either order Prime and wait 2 days, buy whatever small town walmart had, which at the time wasn't much, or drive 90 minutes to the next "big town".

Now that I live closer to a city, its not as big a deal - especially with many free shipping options. If they hadn't made there streaming unwatchable with commercials I might have been more likely to keep it.

Being in Alaska I understand. In 2009 we moved to a small town in South Carolina, so Prime was a godsend. It was either order Prime and wait 2 days, buy whatever small town walmart had, which at the time wasn't much, or drive 90 minutes to the next "big town".

Now that I live closer to a city, its not as big a deal - especially with many free shipping options. If they hadn't made there streaming unwatchable with commercials I might have been more likely to keep it.
Amazon has streaming? Didn't know that.

There are no secrets or hidden charges with RA. Black and White, full disclosure when shopping. If you don't think there is value from specific orders, move on. Buy somewhere else! Whining about something like RA's business practices is pathetic. Nobody is forcing you to use them. So don't!
nobody is whining, dude. Just stating experience. You can interpret it anyway you want, depending on your personal misery level

I still order from RA but had the recent experience:

Ordered two rotors from one warehouse. Shipping was $18.99. I enter my CC info like I always do and hit "pay".

RA churned away and came back to me, saying I had to enter another CC number for "the rest". Huh? So I entered the number again and got my order confirmation. They jacked my shipping up to $22.99 in the interim.

Huh.

So I retraced my steps and did everything again, and got offered the $18.99 shipping again. Cancelled my first order in another browser window, made my new order, and it went through properly.

They absolutely have a "moody" shipping estimator. I would pounce on a deal if you see it, and take careful notes throughout the process. They aren't your friend.

Prime is free ship on everything amazon sells. Prime is $149 per year. I just put mine on hold - not worth it anymore.

Without Prime its $35 minimum. Same as Walmart.

Difference between walmart / amazon and RA is you can add toilet paper or laundry soap or whatever to your order to make the cut pretty easily, so your buying stuff you would likely buy anyway.
I quit Prime too. My definition of "free" must be different than everyone else.

Shipping is insane right now. You can blame "inflation" or whatever they are calling it now. I recently replaced an engine in my grandfather's zero-turn lawn mower. The engine had been struggling for a few years, so I got him a quote last season. The shipping for the engine was $68. When I bought the engine this year, from the same company, with the exact same shipping options, the shipping was $142, over double.

I just purchased front pads and rotors for my VW Atlas via Rock Auto. Pricing was comparable to other online retailers even with shipping. Still came out to less per part than an auto parts store.

The ability to cross reference and compare multiple parts is hugely advantageous for me. Sometimes the trick is to make multiple smaller orders to get shipping reduced.

I wanted to buy a exhaust pipe from RA, the pipe was a WALKER 47839 and cost $119. I ended up buying it from Amazon for $135 and got free prime shipping. I see Walmart has the same deal. This is why I didn't buy it from RA.

View attachment 211137

What was the price locally?
I'm only asking since something that big and bulky shipping has the potential to kill the deal.

Last edited:
Wipers are the worst. Left and right are never in the same “warehouse”. I’ve watched it change parts “warehouse” every time the cart is refreshed. RA catalog is a great resource and most close outs can’t be beat. Generally search RA, Amazon, and eBay before ordering. I use Detroit Axle for beaters and broke people. A lot of their deals are impossible to beat.

Back