Rislone High Mileage Oil Treatment - Contents ?

The Rislone smells very fruity (esters ?) and is very slick between the fingers ... I'm trying with my Hyundai Theta II 2.4L engine as I use about a quart of oil over a 4K mile OCI . Although I use latest synthetic oils from M1 , Pennzoil , Valvoline , etc. I may have a little ring sludge that the Rislone may help clean up .

In looking at the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) it appears that Rislone Engine Treatment is little more than ZDDP (also known as Zinc diakyldithiophophates - which is a "mixture" of zinc containing compounds that are soluble in nonpolar solvents such as oils) and petroleum based ingredients.

In other word, it is ZDDP (a standard zinc containing additive found in most automotive motor oils) and a petroleum based carrier fluid (most likely a light oil).

Based on the fruity smell, I would say that the carrier fluid contains esters which to me indicates that it is custom blended to provide a pleasant odor.

As we know, the ZDDP provides zinc which is an anti-wear additive. Are there any detergents or other active additives present? Perhaps in the carrier fluid, but if present, they are likely not disclosed under the guise of being a trade secret.

Rislone claims to clean rings , quiet lifters and reduce wear ... I suppose the makeup of the liquid has ingredients to perform those tasks ... On the other hand a short 3K mile to 4K mile of M1 High Mileage 5W30 (with increased detergents) may perform nearly the same cleaning tasks ? For average grocery getters - running a synthetic D1 / Gen 3 oil with a clean filter for shorter (<5K mile OCI) is about as close to a magic oil elixir as I will find for my DI engine (lol !)

Rislone claims to clean rings , quiet lifters and reduce wear ... I suppose the makeup of the liquid has ingredients to perform those tasks ... On the other hand a short 3K mile to 4K mile of M1 High Mileage 5W30 (with increased detergents) may perform nearly the same cleaning tasks ? For average grocery getters - running a synthetic D1 / Gen 3 oil with a clean filter for shorter (
I've been warned about using HM M1 as Drew and a few others on the customer service help desk admit using that oil could swell seals and such but after using it a time or two then it becomes the case of the seals could have unfortunate consequences.
You could spray a pea based gdi cleaning product on the top side, use techron in the tank and try a detergent(not solvent) oil flush to hit it from all sides. There are also the areas of running HPL EC30 a few thousand miles prior to change and then do the listed above.

I have no analysis for the High Mileage Version, but here is an earlier analysis for the regular engine treatment:

Here is the latest summary Analysis I have from June 2018: Rislone Engine Treatment from quart bottle (32 oz.) version.
Physical Tests: Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.0
Additives (ppm):
Magnesium (Mg) 3
Calcium (Ca) 1935
Phosphorus (P) 422
Zinc (Zn) 503
Boron (B) 8
TMP Ester 11% by weight.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...reatment-solvent-naphtha.291942/#post-4800231 Post #16.

No lubegard biotech tech ester is different than rislone both as far I know both made using different materials. Both products made to used different biotech is protector and rislone is cleaner.

I'm sure there is some overlap, though composition is at least likely somewhat different. The HPL Engine Cleaner uses esters and I asked their rep here if it could positively effect seals by conditioning them as they do not explicitly state this and he unequivocally stated that yes, that was the case. There is definitely overlap even if a product has a differently advertised intent IMHO...

Rislone is now basically a "High Mileage" Engine Treatment, so I may contact their reps regarding this. They list it as a HM-centric engine cleaning product but state nothing about seal conditioning as HM oils do...

I've been warned about using HM M1 as Drew and a few others on the customer service help desk admit using that oil could swell seals and such but after using it a time or two then it becomes the case of the seals could have unfortunate consequences...

Did you ask Drew if he graduated yet? Never "swelled" seals but did condition my fathers Taurus' seals so that it stopped leaking during the OCI...

I'm sure there is some overlap, though composition is at least likely somewhat different. The HPL Engine Cleaner uses esters and I asked their rep here if it could positively effect seals by conditioning them as they do not explicitly state this and he unequivocally stated that yes, that was the case. There is definitely overlap even if a product has a differently advertised intent IMHO...

Rislone is now basically a "High Mileage" Engine Treatment, so I may contact their reps regarding this. They list it as a HM-centric engine cleaning product but state nothing about seal conditioning as HM oils do...
Hopefully , not much if any seal conditioning going on with Rislone High Mileage Engine Treatment ... I bought to see if lifter tick could be quieted down a bit along with some moderate oil consumption taking place in a vehicle under 50K miles . Now perhaps better just to run a D1 / Gen 3 rated synthetic oil for lower OCI's and call it a day ... Rislone sure does smell good though (lol !)

Rislone have three products that appear to be similar. Is this one the best for ring cleaning?

I'm using this with a $25 Walmart blend oil change because it's $20-$30 more for a full syn. Five bucks for the Rislone Hi-Mi seems to lessen oil burning and make things (prolly mind over matter) run a bit quieter. Were I changing my own oil (too old and they'll throw me out of the condo), I'd just pay the extra dollar a quart for full group 3.

Back