Rip-off junkyard shipping prices

I do a lot of shopping that requires shipping and have just learned to look at the all inclusive price rather than cherry picking. It is what it is and if you need it- maybe cheapest isn't the best if you need a warranty.

Need a control module that's about the size of a cell phone so I went to Car-part.com and contacted half a dozen sellers that had them listed for $25. The module can easily ship in an $8 Priority Mail padded envelope or go UPS Ground for $10-$12. Most of them said $25 for shipping. One quoted $20, still a rip-off, so I went with that, but now I see my card was charged for $50 total. No wonder their reputation is worse than car dealers.
You've posted this same complaint before. You don't dictate what shipping service they use, their "handling" charges, etc.

Your wild guess on UPS rates, shipping to a residential address, are incorrect too.

Here are some tips for anyone who orders a part from a salvage yard, or auto dismantler that is not local to you.

After verifying that they have the part in question in their inventory, ask them if the part is ready to ship or if it has to be pulled from the donor vehicle. Also ask them to provide a breakdown of the total cost estimate. Most yards will only provide an estimate especially on parts they have that are ready to ship. Parts that are still on the vehicle may not have cost estimates as complications can obviously arise when removing said part.

Shipping these days seems to be all over the board. Yes USPS prices might be stable, but you never know when you are going to get the shipment. My experience with USPS next day mail has not been great. Lastly get a copy of the yard's warranty on all part types......electrical, mechanical, body and trim. Some yards will not provide any warranty on electrical items, and most only offer an exchange or credit on the original purchase. For trim and decorative items, shipping damage waivers are usually stated in terms and conditions.
USPS prices for Priority Mail packages have increased dramatically. FedEx Ground often is a cheaper and faster option. Even UPS Ground beats Priority Mail delivery times, which are not so "priority" these days.

Are these junkyard prices really any different than say... Asking $6000 (or was it $7000?) for a Toyota Sequoia with 500,000 miles on it?
Some people ***** and moan when they have to pay too much.... To buy an item, or to have it shipped, etc. But when they're the vendor, the sky's the limit! Price it like gold!

There was a guy on another forum..... It wasn't Atikovi (although he is a member there also). He'd sell stuff occasionally in the "For Sale" section, and he always priced it like it had come off the Queen's personal Rolls-Royce. No negotiating! But when someone else posted an item that HE wanted, he'd nickel-and-dime the guy to no end, even resorting to trashing the guy and suggesting the parts were broken or unusable. A total bully.

Usually there are handling fees involved. Someone has to go to the shelf to get the part and take it to shipping, shipping has to package the part and deal with the shipping company when they come pick up out going packages.

How much would the part cost at a dealership?
Local salvage yard has a $60 off if you don't need a receipt! Heh heh!

USPS flat rate for their smallest box is $10 from me to Washington DC, UPS is $14. Tack on $6-$15 for handling/convenience and I don’t see the problem

Padded flat rate envelope is $8. If I tack on $6-$15 for handling/convenience on everything I list on Ebay, I wouldn't get any sales. Handling stuff is part of the cost of doing business. That's like a restaurant adding a cooking charging if you want your food cooked.

The big advantage of car-part.com is it list parts by location. I drive and get it. Plus with junkyard parts I want to see and inspect it before I claim it.

Back