Don't junkyards know about U.S. Postal Service?

I’m just sayin that standards overall have suffered. I was in a convenience store the other day. In walks a t shirted sandal wearing individual with waist length hair. No I’d shown of any kind. ”Here’s your mail” as he throws a couple of junk mail postcards on the counter. Then proceeds to walk out with a stack of first class. When the less than interested clerk returns after selling lottery tickets at the next register I asked him “who was that guy?” His reply,” dunno, the mailman I guess. There’s somebody different every day.” Wonder where your mail goes?

Psychologically, people feel better when the item they are buying comes with free shipping.
Clearly this is a shock to you, but there's no such thing as free shipping. A smart buyer knows this.

Given these two sale scenarios

Item $15, shipping $0, total = $15
Item $2.50, shipping $10, total = $12.50

you'd pick the first option, wouldn't you ? I mean, what a rip-off charging $10 for shipping when the item fits in a 1st-class envelope and costs 50 cents to ship !

Most junkyards don't want to deal with packaging and shipping low cost parts so they need to price the shipping to make it worth it.
I bought some parts needed to convert our Ford's infotainment system from "Sync 2" to "Sync 3" and got the parts from a salvage yard. They clearly have a proper shipping operation set up and ship a lot of parts based on the fact that they use quality boxes (branded with their company's name/logo) and even use form-fitting, expanding foam packing material.

I bought some parts needed to convert our Ford's infotainment system from "Sync 2" to "Sync 3" and got the parts from a salvage yard. They clearly have a proper shipping operation set up and ship a lot of parts based on the fact that they use quality boxes (branded with their company's name/logo) and even use form-fitting, expanding foam packing material.

Some of the bigger corporate operations, sure. Outstanding customer service generally isn't something I associate with salvage yards.

I’m just sayin that standards overall have suffered. I was in a convenience store the other day. In walks a t shirted sandal wearing individual with waist length hair. No I’d shown of any kind. ”Here’s your mail” as he throws a couple of junk mail postcards on the counter. Then proceeds to walk out with a stack of first class. When the less than interested clerk returns after selling lottery tickets at the next register I asked him “who was that guy?” His reply,” dunno, the mailman I guess. There’s somebody different every day.” Wonder where your mail goes?
That would be a rural carrier and probably an RCA who is a part time employee. Rural carriers have no uniform requirements, unlike City carriers.

Thanks Jason. But like I said any kind of standards these days are out the window. I worked part time for NJT for five years before I got promoted to full time. Had to wear full uniform all that time so that passengers boarding my bus didn’t have to worry that I had just hi-jacked it. Would it kill rural carriers to at least have to carry a lanyard with postal ID around their necks?? Nobody gives a (censored) anymore.

Thanks Jason. But like I said any kind of standards these days are out the window. I worked part time for NJT for five years before I got promoted to full time. Had to wear full uniform all that time so that passengers boarding my bus didn’t have to worry that I had just hi-jacked it. Would it kill rural carriers to at least have to carry a lanyard with postal ID around their necks?? Nobody gives a (censored) anymore.
It's not required per the union contract.

Attachments

• FB428FDD-F213-4131-BD95-08650A79C926.jpeg
    FB428FDD-F213-4131-BD95-08650A79C926.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2
I've seen sellers on eBay mark up and profit on shipping. The reputable sellers only charge what the usps charges them (and they'll mention that in their ad).
Sort, shipping and supplies are time and materials. You can get compensation. I just dump the item on eBay at packing/mailing services as occasional seller and pass cost to buyer.

That’s summer help, most likely a temporary employment position. They don’t give them uniforms, etc. They’re there to cover for the regulars that are on vacation during the summer. Usually a PO will hire 2-3 of them for the summer...college kids, whatever. Then they’re gone late august.

That’s summer help, most likely a temporary employment position. They don’t give them uniforms, etc. They’re there to cover for the regulars that are on vacation during the summer. Usually a PO will hire 2-3 of them for the summer...college kids, whatever. Then they’re gone late august.
I see. Makes sense. On to my next ☁️

Agree with the hit or miss. It shouldn’t be that way. We’ve had the same carrier for 6 years and she’s great. We’re definitely spoiled. But she should be the norm, not the exception. I can remember as a kid the mailman marching up the street. Mail bag, spotless top to bottom uniform. Looked like a Marine in the Memorial Day parade. What happened to that?
I have wondered the exact same thing.
Some of the carriers I see don't even seem to have much in the way of a uniform.
Saw an older carrier yesterday in uniform complete with pith helmet, actually caught my attention.

I have wondered the exact same thing.
Some of the carriers I see don't even seem to have much in the way of a uniform.
Saw an older carrier yesterday in uniform complete with pith helmet, actually caught my attention.
And after re-reading missed posts, now I know.
But...I live in the biggest city in the state

Need a seat belt buckle and a few places have it for $30. It's about 6 or 7 inches long and easily fits in a Priority Mail $8 flat rate padded envelope and includes tracking. One place wanted to charge $30 to ship UPS. Another said $20. No thanks. Might as well get new from a dealer for $66.

Ive had many junkyards refuse to ship or insist on a $300 independent courier

Most junkyards don't want to deal with packaging and shipping low cost parts so they need to price the shipping to make it worth it.

Not just junkyards, or the fancier "salvage" yards.

In the past, I've purchased from more than one dealer which eventually discontinued their online/mail order parts business because it wasn't worth it. To do it right, they have to dedicate a person to handle the orders, customer service, and shipping, and when that specific business is selling parts at reduced margins to begin with, it becomes more hassle than it's worth.

Usually, they use a specific shipper and either charge quoted rates, or if lucky, a flat or maybe tiered rate. That's how they do it; they don't need or want any more complications. Don't like it, feel free to order from elsewhere.

But, the bottom line can still pencil out, to pay 20-35% off true MSRP for genuine parts, whatever the shipping cost, versus the local inflated matrix pricing, and whatever small discount a club affiliation might confer. The biggest cost is time.

Not just junkyards, or the fancier "salvage" yards.

In the past, I've purchased from more than one dealer which eventually discontinued their online/mail order parts business because it wasn't worth it. To do it right, they have to dedicate a person to handle the orders, customer service, and shipping, and when that specific business is selling parts at reduced margins to begin with, it becomes more hassle than it's worth.

Usually, they use a specific shipper and either charge quoted rates, or if lucky, a flat or maybe tiered rate. That's how they do it; they don't need or want any more complications. Don't like it, feel free to order from elsewhere.

But, the bottom line can still pencil out, to pay 20-35% off true MSRP for genuine parts, whatever the shipping cost, versus the local inflated matrix pricing, and whatever small discount a club affiliation might confer. The biggest cost is time.
We have no real online parts presence because of a lack of personnel. There are 4 total in parts and we are all running around like chickens with our heads cut off all day keeping up with what we have. I get calls from places trying to get us to do more online selling. As much as I don't like turning away business, I don't have the resources to dedicate to something that has an even smaller profit margin than wholesale and collision sales.

A little update on the “why USPS is terrible…”
My sister mailed me a package a week before my birthday in July. USPS basically went “🤷🏻‍♂️ Not our problem!” till yesterday where I get an informed delivery email that I have a package coming. They didn’t even acknowledge receipt of it till August 10th. So it’s been a month for something they claim takes 2-8 days.

Back