LKQ Pick-A-Part rip-off fee for taking tires off wheels

All my lkq yards have a sign up saying how much a tire dismount is. They used to have manual tire changers but they said people about killed themselves on them so they took them out. When I bought wheels with good tires on them a couple of weeks ago they had no people to take them off. They normally got $18 for a good used 14" tire, they charged me $5 for each of them since I really didn't want them. I'll get that from Craigslist easy.

My last junkyard rip-off post was about shipping charges at regular junkyards. This one is about u pull it yards, LKQ specifically. I've bought many wheels and tires from them before and was never charged a fee for getting just the wheel or just the tire. Someone would just dismount the tire from the wheel and I would take whichever one I wanted. Today I went to an LKQ to get some wheels, and they charged me an extra $5 each to remove the junk tire. No where in price list does it ever mention this. What is the $3.15 "environmental fee" they also charged if not for this? Do other junkyards charge extra to remove a tire if you just want the wheel?
Labor costs money. If you weren't charged before, consider it was a gift. Now you know to ask for the bottom line out the door.

I bought an OE BMW X3 wheel with tire mounted for my niece's X3 at my local LKQ. At check-out they gave me the $5 fee tire dismount talk. I said I didn't even want the tire. Guy took a drill with a 3/8 bit, put a hole in the sidewall, done.

Labor costs money. If you weren't charged before, consider it was a gift.
+2

Come to think of it, if I was the one buying a wheel and they had a guy drop whatever else he was doing to take the tire off of it for free, I'd probably slip him a $5 bill just for the effort.

+2

Come to think of it, if I was the one buying a wheel and they had a guy drop whatever else he was doing to take the tire off of it for free, I'd probably slip him a $5 bill just for the effort.
And while the guy was dismounting the tires, he was constantly hawking for tips. "Were glad to serve you here", "tips are appreciated", etc.

Nonsense. I buy more stuff often cheaper on Ebay, Amazon, Rock Auto.
So why do you go to LKQ then since you feel there are much better options.

I don't go often, but I personally have found it a great deal. The people at my local yard are friendly, and prices are reasonable. In today's age where liability is the biggest concern for most companies I am happy to have a pick a part that still exists.

Which LKQ was this. I want to make sure that I accidentally go to that one.
Edgewood

So why do you go to LKQ then since you feel there are much better options.

I don't go often, but I personally have found it a great deal. The people at my local yard are friendly, and prices are reasonable. In today's age where liability is the biggest concern for most companies I am happy to have a pick a part that still exists.
Wheels are one of things best bought in person.

They are a chain of full service junkyards that branched out into self-service junkyards buying up the mom and pop businesses to eliminate competition and raise prices.

I needed a taillight assy for a mustang cobra II I was fixing up. They had one semi-crushed and strapped to a hauler ready to go to the coastal shredder along with 5 other cars. I said Ill get it, they said you better hurry up. I risked life nd limb and clambered up there with some basic tools and my nice snap-on 1/4" drive set. after some struggle and some lost sockets(Dang!), got the lens off, and went back to the office expecting maybe 5 bucks.

The Junk guy took it from me, looked at it and said, Mustang huh? 20 bucks!. I said, it was going off for scrap. He put it under his desk and said, I guess you don't want it then.
So I said o.k. and reluctantly pulled 20 bucks out of my moth-eaten wallet, handed it to him took the light and headed off home.

I was disgusted at that transaction. But I need the light and already put in the effort.

Jill's Mustang, not mine

cobra II.jpg

I was disgusted at that transaction. But I need the light and already put in the effort.
Same thoughts here. Already drove an hour to get there and spent another hour pulling the wheels in 90 degree heat. The cashier seems like this is the last place in the world she would rather be and that I'm inconveniencing her when I'm ready to bend over and pay. And the security guard with his tattoos and piercings looks like he just got out of prison and seems annoyed when I ask for a ticket to re-enter. Customer service at it's finest.

Another reason I like LKQ is they have a full price list online. You don't have to pay for the 90 day guarantee, but they put it on by default so you need to tell them you don't want it.

Maybe there prices are high - but there published. You can also ask - which I have before I pulled something that was going to take a while.

1663943668747.jpg

Another reason I like LKQ is they have a full price list online. You don't have to pay for the 90 day guarantee, but they put it on by default so you need to tell them you don't want it.

Maybe there prices are high - but there published. You can also ask - which I have before I pulled something that was going to take a while.

View attachment 118096
Before LKQ bought out the previous owners, tail lamps were $15 not long ago. So 26.99 plus maybe $2 env. fee and $2 tax and $3 admission. That's $34 right there not including gas to get there and your time. Cheaper on eBay without the travel, https://www.ebay.com/itm/2658968033...exMUq5YD8M4Q8Q%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675

Back