Rhino line the whole truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother is thinking of repainting his old beater truck. It's a 1998 Nissan Frontier. It's a 4 wheel drive and in rough shape. He uses it for deer hunting and small trips. I told him just to patch the rust and Rino line the whole thing. It would save a lot of labor instead of sanding, primering , sanding, painting, sanding and clear coating. He could just sand, primer and shoot the Rino lining. What do you think?

I have actually seen this done on a few beater trucks. I think you have the right idea for an old trail beast, it can get slapped up by brush, rocks and mud without chipping up. Keep in mind it will look terrible, both bed-liner paint jobs I've seen have been eye sores. Another option that may not look half bad would be to sand and spray the entire truck with black primer, than mask and rhino line a large border around the bottom of the body panels/bumpers.

Last edited:
If its a beater why bother with the rhino liner? I'd give it a little prep and spray it with some flat black spray paint.

Someone around here did that with an old Montero or Trooper. Actually I couldn't make out which model it was, it was so shabby!

It'd really look trashy if silver-dollar sized chips of the stuff fell off, exposing the original paint.

I like bvance554's idea, just spend an hour or two getting the worst of it then slap new paint on. It'll look a little Mad Max but that's the look he's probably going for. If you don't have a paint gun, google " $50 Rustoleum paint job" and roll it on.

We just started lining the entire rear portion of our service vans. Pretty expensive but seems like a great idea, quiet and HEAVY!

Facilities in the ocean in the seventies were coated with coal tar epoxy to prolong life. I had a new Toyota pickup coated inside and out with coal tar epoxy as soon as it came off the ship. In the seventies, those pickups imported to the Caroline Islands would fall apart from the rust in 18 months. Warm, right next to the ocean, unpaved roads constructed of salt laden coral dredged from the ocean, limited fresh water to wash, etc.

The results were great. Issue was the weight. The hood weighed a ton. Front fenders had to be reinforced after about a year because they were pulling loose some connectors to the frame/body. It didn't catch on with the locals however. I was back through the area once and didn't see any coated vehicles. Just a lot of rust.

I know where there are 350 brand new completely rusted Japanese cars.

I missed Christmas with my team in 1971 because I was on a Micronesian vessel diverted to rescue the crew of the Solar Trader that went aground on uninhabited West Fayu Atoll in the Caroline Islands. 350 brand new Japanese cars aboard. The all Korean crew were rescued safe and aboard on Christmas eve. That night in the very crowed mess deck we had a huge sea turtle the Micronesians caught in the lagoon. Someone had a guitar. The assembly had at least five or six different languages plus the Korean.

The guitar guy tried Silent Night in Ulithian. I figured this was going to be a solo. Then amazingly the voices started in all the different languages. I sang in English, but was the only one. Everyone was singing. It was a transcendent moment. At the end of the song there was absolute silence as we just looked at each other. Reliving makes the hair stand up on my neck.

I heard the vessel ringing dead stop and the engine and bridge crew soon joined. We were dead in the water under a brilliant night sky. The guitar player was like a man who had seen a ghost. Then he smiled and started trying all the Christmas songs he knew. Some were well known and some not. He kept going back to Silent Night. The Korean crew up until that time had been shell shocked as you might imagine. After they sang they were different people. We all were.

It took us a couple three days to get back to Colonia, Yap. Every night I stayed on the flying bridge sleeping and looking at the stars. If you have to spend Christmas away from friend, family, and acquaintances, this was the best way. My life experiences span the spectrum, but this was one of the most spiritual.

This year thousands of military men and women are spending Christmas away from home. Remember them as you celebrate.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
What's Rhino lining? Some kind of spray?

It's a thick polyurethane based coating that is commonly used to line the beds of pick up trucks instead of a separate plastic piece.

If properly done it is nearly indestructible...

Yep...I have used it in three different trucks, used it in my sand spreader, and will use it in my Dakota. My friend had his snowplow coated and it looks new after four years!

Originally Posted By: DoiInthanon
Facilities in the ocean in the seventies were coated with coal tar epoxy to prolong life. I had a new Toyota pickup coated inside and out with coal tar epoxy as soon as it came off the ship. In the seventies, those pickups imported to the Caroline Islands would fall apart from the rust in 18 months. Warm, right next to the ocean, unpaved roads constructed of salt laden coral dredged from the ocean, limited fresh water to wash, etc.

The results were great. Issue was the weight. The hood weighed a ton. Front fenders had to be reinforced after about a year because they were pulling loose some connectors to the frame/body. It didn't catch on with the locals however. I was back through the area once and didn't see any coated vehicles. Just a lot of rust.

I know where there are 350 brand new completely rusted Japanese cars.

I missed Christmas with my team in 1971 because I was on a Micronesian vessel diverted to rescue the crew of the Solar Trader that went aground on uninhabited West Fayu Atoll in the Caroline Islands. 350 brand new Japanese cars aboard. The all Korean crew were rescued safe and aboard on Christmas eve. That night in the very crowed mess deck we had a huge sea turtle the Micronesians caught in the lagoon. Someone had a guitar. The assembly had at least five or six different languages plus the Korean.

The guitar guy tried Silent Night in Ulithian. I figured this was going to be a solo. Then amazingly the voices started in all the different languages. I sang in English, but was the only one. Everyone was singing. It was a transcendent moment. At the end of the song there was absolute silence as we just looked at each other. Reliving makes the hair stand up on my neck.

I heard the vessel ringing dead stop and the engine and bridge crew soon joined. We were dead in the water under a brilliant night sky. The guitar player was like a man who had seen a ghost. Then he smiled and started trying all the Christmas songs he knew. Some were well known and some not. He kept going back to Silent Night. The Korean crew up until that time had been shell shocked as you might imagine. After they sang they were different people. We all were.

It took us a couple three days to get back to Colonia, Yap. Every night I stayed on the flying bridge sleeping and looking at the stars. If you have to spend Christmas away from friend, family, and acquaintances, this was the best way. My life experiences span the spectrum, but this was one of the most spiritual.

This year thousands of military men and women are spending Christmas away from home. Remember them as you celebrate.

Thanks for sharing. It's wonderful, and rare, when we get to experience something like that.

The rednecks around here try all sorts of things to improve the swamp trucks. I've seen a couple coated in bedliner. Seems to hold up very well.

My co-worker (hunter type guy) has a 1980's Toyota 4x4 that is quite rusted. He's "camo" d it with palm leaves and spray paint. Does not hold up well and the red color shows up through the scratches. Not ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back