Review of 2019 Chevrolet Malibu.

Well played :)

By C&D testing, the 'bu earns a solid 6/10!
I mean, it's certainly better than walking, taking the bus, carpooling etc.
https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/malibu-2022
Can't compare C&D ratings to JD Power's Initial Quality Study results though - two completely different animals looking at different things.

My point was that if you look hard enough, you're going to find some data point/study that makes your product look good or you're going to pay someone to produce that data. :)

A 4 year old Hertz rental car is going to be a clapped out mess and not a good example of a review. Hertz is by far the most bottom feeding, lowest cost, worst rental car agency out there. I always get a filthy, high mileage, poorly maintained junk vehicle. I showed up at the airport Monday, I have "President's Circle :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: status" so I am supposed to get a nicer car when available. My choices were 2 Bolts (I have a lot of driving to do and unsure if I can charge) an Altima that had a piece of trim hanging down and an Odyssey with tape on the bumper.

fml I'm driving an old Odyssey with tape on the bumper that someone smoked a lot of weed in.
Should've tried a different isle, like the 5-star for more options. Maybe not better but 4 cars to pick from is rough. With all things though, YMMV. Rental agencies are very date/time/location dependent.

Wow the Malibu gets a ton of shade around here. If there is ever a BITOG gathering I'm hitting up the rental agency and rolling up in a 'Bu.

That is INITIAL quality - as in owners are surveyed after 90 days of ownership. Its after the 1st year that typical problems show up.
Previous poster was talking about build quality. To me, 90 days of ownership should be plenty to figure out build quality. 1yr+ we're starting to talk about reliability.

Does the Malibu have any well known common issues? All the Malibu rentals I have had seemed to be pretty solid and well screwed together outside some typical rental fleet wear and tear. Even the high mileage ones (one nearing 40k miles) while cosmetically beat to hell thanks to rental duty did not display any odd mechanical behavior or noises and hit EPA fuel economy numbers.

Edit: I have had a number of Hyundai rentals (Elantra and Sonata) that couldn't hit their EPA highway numbers that were easily hit or exceeded with other maker cars on same route and driving pattern. On my typical work travel route (Orlando to Ft. Myers or vice versa) the GM and Chrysler would typically meet EPA estimates (odd man out Grand Caravans easily outperformed their estimates), Nissan and Infiniti easily outperformed, and the Hyundais would typically underperform.

Altima 2.5 is king of rental cars as far as fuel economy goes. 38-40 MPG is not hard to achieve, it really moves if you need and the comfort cannot be beat. Of all my rentals (including multiple last gen Sentra) my best all time rental fuel economy has been with an Altima 2.5 somewhere in the mid 38 MPG range.

Last edited:
Back