Review: 2019 VW Passat Wolfsburg 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Very nice. I like silver cars. Two things about these Passats; rear seat legroom is incredible and the truck is huge. We really enjoy ours.

Scott

HMMM....

OP/Wemay, is it kid approved and blessed?

Originally Posted by pandus13
Very nice. I like silver cars. Two things about these Passats; rear seat legroom is incredible and the truck is huge. We really enjoy ours.

Scott

HMMM....

Haha, yes. But my kid has his own ideas...

20200125_082303.jpg

The 1st to 2nd shift programing is ridiculously quick. Your into 2nd gear at 10mph.

Yup, my Golf is the same thing. Same transmission. The only time it downshifts from 2nd to 1st is when I go from 5mph to 0mph. It's nuts. Otherwise I can be in 5th gear at 40mph and 6th at 50. Very tall 6th gear.

Holagen lights on a 2019 is a weak spot. HID or LED should be mandatory on every vehicle now. Just my opinion.

Yep, it irritates me to no end that other manufacturers have LED headlights standard (or at least offer a lower end trim with them) and yet VW makes you buy the top trims to get them. The halogens are terrible. Look into an HID kit or maybe upgrade to Ed's replica's for a newer look and safer driving experience.

The fuel filler door needs a few wacks to finally lock after fueling up.

It's interesting you say that because a relative of mine also has the same issue with her 19' passat. Sometimes it's a real bear to make it stay in, other times it doesn't want to come out. The one on my Golf is flawless so it must be a manufacturing issue with the Passat line.

I will need to get used to the plastic oil drain plug.

It's not that bad! If you suck the oil out through the dipstick tube using oil extractors you'll never have to worry about it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by pandus13

Scott

HMMM....

Haha, yes. But my kid has his own ideas...

Yup, definitely the case for hide the keys...

Small suggestion: you need better/bigger sunshades for the back seat

Nice car no doubt. Mine is at 23k now and like the others here has not had a single issue. Solid, and just glides down the roadway, which tends to get me in trouble as 90 doesn't feel much different than 60.

Thanks Wemay for your overview. I bought a '16 Passat new a couple years ago and share most of your thoughts that you wrote.

I change oil by vacuuming through dipstick. First time I changed it that way, I then pulled the drain plug and was happy to see only a couple ounces came out. I am very comfortable using the dipstick method. Coincidentally I just did it last night pulled out 5.75 quarts and replaced with 6 qts Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 and a Mann filter. Car has 47,000 miles and was last changed at 39,500 so it used only 8ish ounces in ~7500 miles.

Car had to go the dealer for warranty work once to have them reprogram one of the remote keys. I had new tires put on the car recently and change oil and ATF and that's it. Very low maintenance.

I feel the electric steering is a bit numb, but I'm used to driving older BMWs and a Porsche with hydraulic steering so I'm a little spoiled I suppose. But overall it's a well built, solid car.

Glad to see all the good experiences with VW's, the quality of build and happy owners consistent through the various models. I've seen more than a few comments related to "what car to buy?" end up being a VW b-fest by some that seem a bit overstated or dramatic with blanket statements or not citing details.
The Passat is a great looking car for anything in that size category and silver is classy look on it. Must be close to a class leader for mpg too. Good write up with helpful info!

I got a bit giddy when I finally figured out what I thought to be the next car for me. Thinking a VW hit the mark and not just looking for an excuse to get one like trying to fit a square peg through a round hole.
blush.gif

VW's have been in my early driving history and later, an '89 Fox Wagen GL that was our Do-All car at times from miles 39,000 to 185,000. My dad was a VW mech in the 60's - 'Autohaus' in Michigan and he had one or two 60's Bugs before the 68, 71 convertible and a 74. Now a 99 Turbo.

For me, the 'S' SportWagen as 4Motion didn't need the luxury trim or even the Alltrack version to impress me. The 2017 'S' seemed the perfect balance of simple and utility with some nice touches. Gas lift strut for the hood ? Hardly anyone incorporates those any more. Seats are firm, almost infinitely adjustable and prove long range comfort.
Solid, Stable and inspires confidence.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back