Review of 2019 Chevrolet Malibu.

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Had a 2019 Chevy Malibu rental during the day on Monday when my recalls were being done. What a horrible car at 27K miles. First the decent. Great gas mileage, mid to upper 30's.

Now the not so decent, I could barely get in and out, the door openings were so small, especially the height. The transmission I think was a CVT with fake shifts. Slipped and jerked very harshly twice while I had it. The possible motor mount issue was confirmed by the Hertz pickup guy who took me back to the dealership after I dropped it off. The whole car kind of did the shimmy-shimmy-shake-shake whenever any throttle or steering input was used. Probably the car had the 1.4L turbo. It was fast enough 3 seconds after you mashed the throttle. The car was given to me with all tires except one 6 psi low. The mismatch was on the front. It was a rainy morning . Did I mention a rainy morning, the drivers side wiper was totally shot, smear city. Could not see after a swipe of the intermittent wipers for a second or two. Odd that the passenger side was perfect.

The sad part is this car is just about to be sold to someone at 35K miles. May God have mercy on their wallet.

I could barely get in and out, the door openings were so small, especially the height.
Sounds like a late-model Corolla. Is it just styling, or is it some sort of safety mandate that mandates the low roofline and squinty windows?

I'm not sure how there is any 2019 model year of vehicle in any rental fleet, with only 35,000 miles on it. One rental fleet sold off a bunch of inventory last December... mostly 2020's with around 60,000 miles on them (some pushing as much as 70,000).

My experience with rental cars is that the boring mid-size cars take the worst beating, as they are used the most for insurance company rentals.... and they tend to keep them on the road the longest. Minivans take a beating as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if it sat wrecked behind a body shop for a year, waiting on parts... to be such a low mileage example today.

Not likely. Rental Fleets have been keeping cars a lot longer now - sometimes past 80K.
No way that car makes it to 80K and still be rentable,. Especially with the poor maintenance it's receiving. The courtesy driver said they are getting all new rentals at this inner-city location in the summer. I only drove the car 38 miles as it was such a death trap.

Last edited:
No way that car makes it to 80K and still be rentable,. Especially with the poor maintenance it's receiving. The courtesy driver said they are getting all new rentals at this inner-city location in the summer. I only drove the car 38 miles is was such a death trap.
I suppose it varies by brand and by region, but I’ve gotten rentals from Enterprise with over 60K.

Edit: had one from Hertz with over 50K.

That car would have had the 1.5T and it drinks oil like so many other GM motors. I have already did an engine replacement on a 2017 due to no oil. The customer was warned that they use oil - didn't take heed and locked it up. My Autozone rep drives a '21 Malibu and when he was at the shop last time we were discussing the car and he was not satisfied - had to have a new transmission before 20k miles. I said I bet the oil is low too and says no way man I keep up with the maintenance.....yes oil changed 4k miles ago and 1.5qts low. This car only had 44k miles on in.

I suppose it varies by brand and by region, but I’ve gotten rentals from Enterprise with over 60K.

Edit: had one from Hertz with over 50K.
I doubt this vehicle ever leaves Kansas City. And as someone else said it may have been out of service for a while. Maybe the motor mounts are unobtanium? Three massive car dealers down the street and a couple of others H/K dealers, probably are their best customers. Its the "Miracle Mile Car Dealers" on Noland Road in Independence MO.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I felt exactly the same when I got to drive a 2019 Rav 4! What a piece of crap. Buzzy engine, rough ride, trashy looking dash, just horrible.
How anyone could put their body through that kind of punishment on a long trip is beyond me.

I suspect cars like this are almost solely responsible for road rage! :)

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I felt exactly the same when I got to drive a 2019 Rav 4! What a piece of crap. Buzzy engine, rough ride, trashy looking dash, just horrible.
How anyone could put their body through that kind of punishment on a long trip is beyond me.

I suspect cars like this are almost solely responsible for road rage! :)
Just rented one … it was definitely the R4 Appliance Edition 😷

No way that car makes it to 80K and still be rentable,. Especially with the poor maintenance it's receiving. The courtesy driver said they are getting all new rentals at this inner-city location in the summer. I only drove the car 38 miles as it was such a death trap.
could “inner-city location” be some kind of indication of something?

A 4 year old Hertz rental car is going to be a clapped out mess and not a good example of a review. Hertz is by far the most bottom feeding, lowest cost, worst rental car agency out there. I always get a filthy, high mileage, poorly maintained junk vehicle. I showed up at the airport Monday, I have "President's Circle :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: status" so I am supposed to get a nicer car when available. My choices were 2 Bolts (I have a lot of driving to do and unsure if I can charge) an Altima that had a piece of trim hanging down and an Odyssey with tape on the bumper.

fml I'm driving an old Odyssey with tape on the bumper that someone smoked a lot of weed in.

could “inner-city location” be some kind of indication of something?
Not really. It was where this Hertz was. Not even close to the worst part of the KC Metro. Just saying they are in the center of Independence away from where tourists rent cars.

A 4 year old Hertz rental car is going to be a clapped out mess and not a good example of a review. Hertz is by far the most bottom feeding, lowest cost, worst rental car agency out there. I always get a filthy, high mileage, poorly maintained junk vehicle.
But are they usually death traps like the one the OP got apparently was? Although he never did say what made it a death trap...

But are they usually death traps like the one the OP got apparently was? Although he never did say what made it a death trap...

No, just well used and generally gross vehicles to be in. I've had a couple with tires around 4/32" but nothing lower. 30k on a rental is a lot, by that point multiple people have had pets in it, smoked in it, spilled sodas in the center console and jumped or done neutral drops with the vehicle.

I think OP was being a bit dramatic.

No, just well used and generally gross vehicles to be in. I've had a couple with tires around 4/32" but nothing lower. 30k on a rental is a lot, by that point multiple people have had pets in it, smoked in it, spilled sodas in the center console and jumped or done neutral drops with the vehicle.

I think OP was being a bit dramatic
In 38 miles I discovered 4 safety issues. Loud clunking from under the car, transmission shudder , one tire 10psi higher than the others and totally shot wiper blades on a rainy day. That is why I only drove it 38 miles.

Had a 2019 Chevy Malibu rental during the day on Monday when my recalls were being done. What a horrible car at 27K miles. First the decent. Great gas mileage, mid to upper 30's.

Now the not so decent, I could barely get in and out, the door openings were so small, especially the height. The transmission I think was a CVT with fake shifts. Slipped and jerked very harshly twice while I had it. The possible motor mount issue was confirmed by the Hertz pickup guy who took me back to the dealership after I dropped it off. The whole car kind of did the shimmy-shimmy-shake-shake whenever any throttle or steering input was used. Probably the car had the 1.4L turbo. It was fast enough 3 seconds after you mashed the throttle. The car was given to me with all tires except one 6 psi low. The mismatch was on the front. It was a rainy morning . Did I mention a rainy morning, the drivers side wiper was totally shot, smear city. Could not see after a swipe of the intermittent wipers for a second or two. Odd that the passenger side was perfect.

The sad part is this car is just about to be sold to someone at 35K miles. May God have mercy on their wallet.

Not questioning your overall opinion, but I don’t think GM puts a CVT on gas models. Maybe not significant, but there’s enough CVT hate on this forum already.

Back