Review of 2019 Chevrolet Malibu.

Some years of the Malibu with the 1.5T have a CVT.
Yup. I rented a '22 Malibu with the 1.5T and CVT from Enterprise recently. Mine was obviously newer than OP's, and it drove just fine. I haven't experienced any of the issues that the OP noted. It was a decent drive. Nothing to get excited about, but not horrible either.

Malibu went CVT only at some point in time. The few CVT 1.5T Malibu's I have had have driven about as well as an Altima 2.5/CVT combo. Not bad but nothing terribly exciting. Both Altima 2.5/CVT and Malibu 1.5T/CVT still feel quicker than Ford Fusion 1.5T with its 6 speed auto.

Getting a neighborhood rental versus airport is always going to be a much worse experience (at least in my experience). I honestly think they get the hand me downs from the airport fleet once they hit a certain age or mileage, not to mention the neighborhood rentals are more likely to be used for things like Uber, Lyft, Doordash, etc. so get beat to hell. National has always been very positive for me and colleagues on airport rentals, their sister company Enterprise have rented us some real trash from neighborhood locations. It got to the point when I would have to rent locally for work I would take the train to the airport and get a car from National there instead of getting one from a neighborhood Enterprise location.

Last edited:
Malibu went CVT only at some point in time. he few CVT 1.5T Malibu's I have had have driven about as well as an Altima 2.5/CVT combo. Not bad but nothing terribly exciting. Both Altima 2.5/CVT and Malibu 1.5T/CVT still feel quicker than Ford Fusion 1.5T with its 6 speed auto.

Getting a neighborhood rental versus airport is always going to be a much worse experience (at least in my experience). I honestly think they get the hand me downs from the airport fleet once they hit a certain age or mileage, not to mention the neighborhood rentals are more likely to be used for things like Uber, Lyft, Doordash, etc. so get beat to hell. National has always been very positive for me and colleagues on airport rentals, their sister company Enterprise have rented us some real trash from neighborhood locations. It got to the point when I would have to rent locally for work I would take the train to the airport and get a car from National there instead of getting one from a neighborhood Enterprise location.

National hands down has the best vehicles. Avis isn't bad either. Hertz is the bottom of the barrel.

National hands down has the best vehicles. Avis isn't bad either. Hertz is the bottom of the barrel.
This is very true. I was only loyal to them when I traveled for work and our contract was with them so I could use my Emerald Executive status on personal rentals. I don't travel for work any longer so no status. I just go cheapest available now so have rented from pretty much everyone, have been pretty lucky so far except for a very clapped out 2 year old Malibu which now looking back at my receipts was from Hertz at Ft. Myers Airport (RSW). :ROFLMAO:

I've rented the Malibu many times, including a 1250 mile highway trip.

I see it as an economy car, a touch too small in every dimension, with nice big wheels and tires, in an attempt to make it look better than the cheapster it is.

Of all the mid sized sedans on the market, this quite possibly would be in the running for last place.

In 2.0T Premier trim they're really nice. Rented one (from National) with the 2.0T and ventilated seats in Maui, it had a ton of power and was really comfortable, no way that configuration would put it in last place.

Of all the mid sized sedans on the market, this quite possibly would be in the running for last place.
It's also possibly the oldest model of the midsize group, it was competitive when comparing to the last gen of everything else. Doesn't forgive it but take that into account. I don't believe GM is going to do another one so I think this Malibu is the final swan song for the American midsize sedan. Once Malibu dies I think all you have left are the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger.

It's also possibly the oldest model of the midsize group, it was competitive when comparing to the last gen of everything else. Doesn't forgive it but take that into account. I don't believe GM is going to do another one so I think this Malibu is the final swan song for the American midsize sedan. Once Malibu dies I think all you have left are the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger.
Maybe so, but build quality is lacking as well. I see so many locally with failed clear coat and peeling black plastic trim. Not old enough for these type of issues.

In 2.0T Premier trim they're really nice. Rented one (from National) with the 2.0T and ventilated seats in Maui, it had a ton of power and was really comfortable, no way that configuration would put it in last place.
Good point. That drive train would be a hoot in a mid sized sedan. Then again the Accord 2.0 from it's generation would whoop it's behind.

You've had your own paint issues with your Hondas and VWs, I've found all cars to have their issues. I've owned at least a dozen new GMs and Chryslers, 3-4 new VWs and this Acura. None have been perfect but all have been very good.
Come to think of it, I can’t think of a perfect car manufacturer besides Porsche?

You've had your own paint issues with your Hondas and VWs, I've found all cars to have their issues. I've owned at least a dozen new GMs and Chryslers, 3-4 new VWs and this Acura. None have been perfect but all have been very good.
Oh certainly. My point was simply that on the whole, the Malibu ranks low compared to its rivals.

Back