Results of Honda/Acura HTO-06 Test _ Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Amsoil responded today:

Quote:

....we are in the process of development of a product meeting this new specification.

Translation: Mobil 1 meets this spec. Current Amsoil doesn't (else why would they need to develop a product to meet it?) Ergo, Mobil 1 is better than Amsoil.

ooo.gif

hide.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Seems like Honda is a little nervous about their new forced induction engine. Theyre totally new to forced induction. Small, boosted 1.0L japanese keicars notwithstanding.

I think the RDX should have used a non turbo V6 instead. The reason given at the time the RDX was introduced for using a turbo 4 was engine weight, fuel economy and packaging, none of which appear to be particularly valid.

Thats true. I always understood it to be a directly aimed competitor to the CX-7 - almost identical. It really is an odd vehicle though, which leads to a lot of questions such as "why?". Perhaps a new CRV will be based on this ??

Nope, Honda says they have no plans to put this bad boy in the CR-V. With the latest redesign, Honda has removed any remaining testosterone circulating through the CR-V.

Ouch! Well i guess they need to distinguish between the Acura and the Honda

>> When will Amsoil have an Acura HTO-06 oil?

When they print their next batch of bottles and throw "Recommended for Acura HTO-06 Applications" on it?

Quote:

When they print their next batch of bottles and throw "Recommended for Acura HTO-06 Applications" on it?

Quote:

Just put "recommended for" on the bottle and save big $$$ doing certifications.

Ah, funny guys! Better to believe weblore than facts. I'm not exactly sure where the whole "Amsoil doesn't test their oils" garbage started, but how about a thought process check?

G-man - "better" is a multidimensional feature.
wink.gif

Quote:

Ah, funny guys! Better to believe weblore than facts. I'm not exactly sure where the whole "Amsoil doesn't test their oils" garbage started, but how about a thought process check?

No one said Amsoil doesn't test their oils. But the fact remains that on the web site, Amsoil doesn't say that their oils actually "meet" the requirements of any of these OEM specs. They merely state that their oils are "recommended for" applications that require them.

I'm quite certain that Amsoil does some internal testing and they are confident they can "recommend" their oils for these specs. That's not the same thing as actually putting your oils through the OEM-approved battery of tests in order to carry the OEM certification.

You can check to see who is really certified here.

http://eolcs.api.org/

Unless I spelled it wrong Amsoil does not make it. It is kind of like, "I test for my pilot's license all the time at home and pass every time". I'll take the FAA certified pilots any day.

Amazing that Redline isn't there........and we know how good that oil is.

The pilot's license analogy was use once before, didn't work then either. It just makes no sense when you are talking about a minimum oil standard.

Quote:

Amazing that Redline isn't there........and we know how good that oil is.

The pilot's license analogy was use once before, didn't work then either. It just makes no sense when you are talking about a minimum oil standard.

Actually it worked just as well this time. Do you fly often?

Yes I fly often. And there is a HUGE difference between "certifying" that a human can perform a very critical task and a blended physical product being certified to a set of minimum standards. The thing that you and others seem to forget is that Amsoil's oils are tested by outside labs as well as inside labs.

Answer me this: Do you REALLY think if Amsoil failed any of the performance parameters they would sell their oil?

PS I'm still waiting for you to apologize for your mistake above.

Quote:

Yes I fly often. And there is a HUGE difference between "certifying" that a human can perform a very critical task and a blended physical product being certified to a set of minimum standards. The thing that you and others seem to forget is that Amsoil's oils are tested by outside labs as well as inside labs.

Answer me this: Do you REALLY think if Amsoil failed any of the performance parameters they would sell their oil?

PS I'm still waiting for you to apologize for your mistake above.

Apology was posted even before you requested. But 5 oils total, and 4 to SM? I won't mention how many oils "fly by night" companies like Petro Canada and Amalie have qualified.

I really take exception to the minimum standards scam. Sure it is easy for a manufacturer to say, "why should we test our oil to a silly basic MINIMUM standards when we produce such great oils?". I say test it and this is an not even an item to discuss. Amsoil says they test more than any other manufacturer of oils. So obviously they have no problem with the concept. Just do it to a recognized standard, or admit there is a problem.

I have to agree with the above. I have never used AMSOIL but if there was an oil change of AMSOIL and Mobil 1 side by side equally ready for an oil change I would use AMSOIL before the Mobil 1.
Mobil 1 is overhyped Synmarketing. It does well because of massive advertising and availability through discount outlets.
Although many my find the Marketing of AMSOIL as undesireable I have never seen evidence that it is the inferior product. Usually it's the contrary.

FAA "licensing" is not required for military pilots. Many military pilots eventually become commercial FAA licensed pilots. One small paper change. The basic skills are still the exceptionally high quality military ones, whether you have a piece of paper to prove it or flew for it while using your aircraft as a weapon system AND flying. I know I was one.

I know oil and Amsoil pretty well too.

Amsoil does not sit,pay,submit for API licensing most of the time but the lubricants are rarely a problem formulation quality wise.

Now the marketing and corporate side is a whole different argument. If it was not for the high quality BITOG/Amsoil dealers that support and contribute to this site I doubt the product would see the light of day here. FOR MARKETING REASONS. Do I love Amsoil marketing NO, do I respect the oil analysis results from those who use it properly, yes. It performs well with quality oil analysis ( sadly not Amsoils own ) that is used to employ the product safely and effectively.

Terry

From the Honda test, none of the oils on the shelf did all that well passing the test. All are group III products except M1 which could contain some Grp III. ??

I read on a recent article that PP is the other oil that has met the HTO-06 spec. I just wrote them a quick email to see if they are in fact the other mystery oil. I will let you know what I find out.

Here is the response I got from Pennzoil.

Dear Mr. *****; Thank you for your interest in our product. The certification for the Pennzoil Platinum was received from Honda in August , 2006 this is why it does not appear on our Technical Data Sheet for the product. The Technical Data Sheets will have this information the next time they are revised which should occur within the next 2 months.
Sincerely
Product Technical Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back