Results of Honda/Acura HTO-06 Test _ Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

.... THAT is EXACTLY what Mobil did. They paid for the test. They paid for the brochure. I think Mobil even helped develop the test. ....

ExxonMobil pays for its own advertising materials, ads, television spots, and so on.

No, you do when you buy ExxonMobil products.
nono.gif

Same could be said for Pennzoil, Castrol, Conoco-Phillips, etc, etc.

427ZO6,

If the market for replacement lubricants is large enough, Amsoil will go to the trouble to have the tests run that are necessary to qualify their 5w-30 to the HTO-06 standard. However since this captive Honda test is not part of the API or ACEA standard sequence tests, the test requirements would first have to be released. This is a very different situation from the VW 505.01 spec that Mickey cites, since there are many more vehicles that require that spec and dozens of VW 505.01 compliant lubes over in Europe. It was simple enough for Amsoil to go to a European additive supplier and purchase a VW 505.01/BMW-LL04/MB 229.51 additive chemistry and blend it with an SAE 5w-40 basestock.

Finally, I would like to respectfully point out that with exception of the ASTM 4172B Four Ball test, all the other ASTM tests on Amsoils engine oil spec sheets are tests required as part of API and/or ACEA testing.

TS

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

.... THAT is EXACTLY what Mobil did. They paid for the test. They paid for the brochure. I think Mobil even helped develop the test. ....

ExxonMobil pays for its own advertising materials, ads, television spots, and so on.

nono.gif

True,

But I'm not paying $6+ a quart for Pennzoil.
laugh.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

No matter how you look at this it is good business for both companies. I would argue other companies could learn a thing or two from Mobil.

No, I am not currently using any Mobil products.

Seems like Honda is a little nervous about their new forced induction engine. Theyre totally new to forced induction. Small, boosted 1.0L japanese keicars notwithstanding.

Quote:

....we are in the process of development of a product meeting this new specification.

Thanks for asking them. I'm surprised they are developing a product to meet the spec. I would think the current oils meet the spec. already.

Quote:

Seems like Honda is a little nervous about their new forced induction engine. Theyre totally new to forced induction. Small, boosted 1.0L japanese keicars notwithstanding.

In the late 80s early 90s Honda built F-1 engines with 1.5L displacement and 40 psi turbo pressure, the highest in use, even higher than BMW's four cylinder, it also was the first to use variable vane Warner Ishi turbos and PGMFI giving it 1500bhp in qualifying mode and fantastic fuel economy, Nigel Mansell took the Williams Honda to a record qualifying lap of 156.8mph around Silverstone so I guess Honda does know something about building turbos, that car also dominated F-I scene till turbos got banned. Honda is just taking extra precautions like a good company, Mercedes does the same, they went to Cosworth for their 4 valve DOHC head for 190E-2.3 16V when in the 30s they had pioneered DOHC 4 valves for their Silver Arrows, also imagine this, MB makes a 90bhp diesel with oil squirting pistons and huge oil cooler, kinda overkill if you think that way but guess what, MB wants that engine with turbo to last over 400,000 miles, guess in this field, a little cautiousness/paranoia pays off in the long run.

Quote:

427ZO6,

If the market for replacement lubricants is large enough, Amsoil will go to the trouble to have the tests run that are necessary to qualify their 5w-30 to the HTO-06 standard. However since this captive Honda test is not part of the API or ACEA standard sequence tests, the test requirements would first have to be released. This is a very different situation from the VW 505.01 spec that Mickey cites, since there are many more vehicles that require that spec and dozens of VW 505.01 compliant lubes over in Europe. It was simple enough for Amsoil to go to a European additive supplier and purchase a VW 505.01/BMW-LL04/MB 229.51 additive chemistry and blend it with an SAE 5w-40 basestock.

Finally, I would like to respectfully point out that with exception of the ASTM 4172B Four Ball test, all the other ASTM tests on Amsoils engine oil spec sheets are tests required as part of API and/or ACEA testing.

TS

Instead of blowing a lot of hot air, Pablo went and sought an answer to the question.

Pablo +1
Teddles 0

wink.gif
grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

nono.gif

True,

But I'm not paying $6+ a quart for Pennzoil.
laugh.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Well...between Pepboy calendars and Home Depots close-outs/rebates, I haven't paid more than $2/qt for M1 or Pennz Platinum for the past two years.

I don't think anyone said Amsoil IS Honda/Acura HTO-06 certified. Did they?

It does make me even MORE curious about this specification. Anyone up for a little industrial espionage?
crackmeup.gif
(JK)

Thanks guys.

Quote:

Quote:

In the late 80s early 90s Honda built F-1 engines with 1.5L displacement and 40 psi turbo pressure, the highest in use, even higher than BMW's four cylinder, it also was the first to use variable vane Warner Ishi turbos and PGMFI giving it 1500bhp in qualifying mode and fantastic fuel economy, Nigel Mansell took the Williams Honda to a record qualifying lap of 156.8mph around Silverstone so I guess Honda does know something about building turbos, that car also dominated F-I scene till turbos got banned. Honda is just taking extra precautions like a good company, Mercedes does the same, they went to Cosworth for their 4 valve DOHC head for 190E-2.3 16V when in the 30s they had pioneered DOHC 4 valves for their Silver Arrows, also imagine this, MB makes a 90bhp diesel with oil squirting pistons and huge oil cooler, kinda overkill if you think that way but guess what, MB wants that engine with turbo to last over 400,000 miles, guess in this field, a little cautiousness/paranoia pays off in the long run.

F1 and production engines are vastly different, from conception to market. For instance, one is designed with all-out performance in mind (rebuild after each race), and one is designed for longevity. If Honda wasnt nervous about delving into the consumer turbo market, then why cobble up a whole new oil spec?) The RDX seems to be quickly thrown together to compete with the likes of the CX-7. The RDX doesnt even produce 280ft/lbs of torque at 2500rpm, like the CX-7. If anything I would expect Mazda to come out with a new oil spec considering the seemingly excessive low-end grunt (probably the low-end torquiest 4-cyl non-commercial production gas engine out there). I'm not at all impressed with the K23A. They didnt even bother to source a new transmission, they simply re-used the V6 transmission and SH-AWD system and recast the engine block to mate to the V6 transmission. Add a turbo with a flap in the turbine side and call it variable volume turbo ?? Where's my money going? Personally, I would just use any quality A3 rated oil and call it a day. I would be peeved to have to spend a weekend trying to find a "qualified" oil and/or drop a ton of coin on an OC for warranty purposes. Hey Honda, turbo engines are nothing new.

Quote:

I think the RDX should have used a non turbo V6 instead. The reason given at the time the RDX was introduced for using a turbo 4 was engine weight, fuel economy and packaging, none of which appear to be particularly valid.

I have no doubts at all Amsoil already meets the spec. It's a matter of having it tested at this point. The Group III's are a different story and I think the test shows that.

Quote:

Quote:

I think the RDX should have used a non turbo V6 instead. The reason given at the time the RDX was introduced for using a turbo 4 was engine weight, fuel economy and packaging, none of which appear to be particularly valid.

It'll be much more fun to tune, though....

I can see the packaging concern. The 2.4l 4 cyl takes up enough room already.... I am nervous about this new spec, though. It's not very reassuring, but.....if you're going to pay for an RDX, why skimp?
dunno.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Thats true. I always understood it to be a directly aimed competitor to the CX-7 - almost identical. It really is an odd vehicle though, which leads to a lot of questions such as "why?". Perhaps a new CRV will be based on this ??

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thats true. I always understood it to be a directly aimed competitor to the CX-7 - almost identical. It really is an odd vehicle though, which leads to a lot of questions such as "why?". Perhaps a new CRV will be based on this ??

Nope, Honda says they have no plans to put this bad boy in the CR-V. With the latest redesign, Honda has removed any remaining testosterone circulating through the CR-V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back