Results of Honda/Acura HTO-06 Test _ Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people do you think would/will put the wrong oil in this SUV? How many will sludge up the engine and complain about it? How many will think any synthetic will be fine for this SUV?

They clearly state that any oil can be used if it meets the spec. It's not rocket science here. (A Kublinism)

I doubt the engine will "sludge up" with any of the top tier synthetics out there - approved or not. I'm sure some level of folks will dump conventional oil in these engines, and more likely have turbo issues than sludge.

The minute Honda actually publishes this magic specification, then I will freely admit this is not a Honda-M1 sales gimmick.

Why doesn't Honda tell us who else passed the test?

Quote:

Why doesn't Honda tell us who else passed the test?

Because Mobil paid for the test?
laugh.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

To me this appears to be pure joint markteting that benifits the two partys to not metion the names of others or the test procedures it can be nothing else.

Buster, I sure do check for deposit formation in UOA, both combustion chamber,CCV/PCV, and ring. One of the most important aspects of UOA work.

I'm sure it's a joint marketing deal of some sort. I'm also sure many other oils will meet this spec. The test, IMO, confirms what I knew already A) use a good synthetic in a Turbo B)M1 is very good at keeping an engine clean.

"Terry is big on using AutoRx and LC."

Buster, just to clarify my position on those products use; motor oil alone will allow too much deposit formation over time, can't clean deeply.

If you were to run say a 100% ester formula and change it often you might be able to maintain cleanliness to the level I use those products to clean, Only after UOA tells me that it is needed.

I don't just arbitrarily recommend them. I would recommend other correction fluids if they were easily obtained,safe, reasonably priced, and most importantly effective.

The 0w20 Fuchs Titan GT1 oil could perform cleaning for short intervals of use. VPRS oils ( now discontinued) may be able to do some cleaning. Redline to lesser extent,most of my redline users must clean periodically and many use LC with the formula.

M1 as we currently know it would be low in deposit formation but stinks in wear control in the more extreme situations.

A healthy well sealing engine will cause less deposit issues than a poorly performing one.

TD

Buster,

The issue with any (high boost pressure), gas engine turbo are the varnish/carbon deposits formed as the oil thermally decomposes - particularly with a full heat soak condition after shutdown. My 1.8L, 225 Hp Audi turbo actually has an electrical coolant pump that circulates coolant through the water jacket of the turbo housing for about 5-10 minutes after shutdown to keep the oil from coking. Turbocharger housings will glow red with hard use and the EGT's can easily be up in the 1000F-1200F range - far higher than even the best oil can take.

FWIW, I would specifically NOT recommend the Group III based, Amsoil XL Series oils for turbocharged gas engine applications. If you were hard over on a licensed product, I'd tell you to look somewhere else.

TS

Quote:

M1 as we currently know it would be low in deposit formation but stinks in wear control in the more extreme situation

You may be right, but I've yet to see anyone wear out an engine using M1 or any oil for that matter.
smirk.gif

Quote:

Quote:

So...when is Amsoil going to have an oil that meets the Acura HTO-06 standard?

Maybe when everyone know's what the standard is?
wink.gif

Why? Seems to me that all they would have to do is sign a non-disclosure agreement to find out what the Acura HTO-06 standard entails.

Quote:

.... THAT is EXACTLY what Mobil did. They paid for the test. They paid for the brochure. I think Mobil even helped develop the test. ....

The first mention of the HTO-06 standard I see is in the July, 2006, "Acura Service News" which indicates that Honda R&D developed the standard, and that they developed it for the new RDX.

Sounds much like the Corvette spec some years ago when heat was killing engines and the current VW 505.1 spec for their finicky diesel with a special pump.

As an OEM, ExxonMobil had a shot to qualify its oil to meet the standard at its own expense, much as it did for the Corvette, the Viper, Porsche, and some of the other high-performance manufacturers that use Mobil 1 as factory fill.

It is my understanding that one other major oil company has since qualified a synthetic under the HTO-06 requirements and will be so labeling their packaging.

ExxonMobil clearly labels its products when it meets a standard, and in common with other major oil companies pays out-of-pocket for the testing to accomplish that certification.

In the rare case where ExxonMobil recommends the use of a product but does not certify a product to a standard, such as the Chrysler ATF+4 certification process, it is clearly labeled as a "recommendation".

An example is Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, which is marked as certified to a number of standards, and then bears the legend "Also recommended by ExxonMobil for Chrysler automatic transmissions".

In that case ExxonMobil has conducted its own tests in its sizeable test fleet and laboratories and fully stands behind its recommendation.

ExxonMobil does not cite non-standard specifications and tests, such as using the ASTM D-4172 Four Ball Wear test for motor oils, in its literature. The ultimate test for a motor oil is use in the crankcase of actual motor vehicles, not in gaming spec sheets.

ExxonMobil pays for its own advertising materials, ads, television spots, and so on.

Quote:

.... M1 as we currently know it would be low in deposit formation but stinks in wear control in the more extreme situations. ....

In the more extreme situations, such as racing, ExxonMobil provides non-standard lubricants and engineering assistance either as a sponsor or at some cost to those with the interest and the wherewithal.

As numerous used oil analyses on this board demonstrate, in a wide range of vehicles and uses Mobil 1 provides competitive or superior results at competitive prices.

Quote:

Quote:

.... THAT is EXACTLY what Mobil did. They paid for the test. They paid for the brochure. I think Mobil even helped develop the test. ....

ExxonMobil pays for its own advertising materials, ads, television spots, and so on.

No, you do when you buy ExxonMobil products.
nono.gif

Quote:

I doubt the Honda standard is even on Amsoil's radar. I should ask them, though.

Don't worry, Pabs...as soon as Amsoil hears about the HTO-06 spec they'll add it to the plethora of other OEM specs that they "recommend" their oil for.
wink.gif

hide.gif

Quote:

Quote:

There is no way Honda (same as Acura) could make RL, Amsoil or RP THE approved oil for the RDX even if they met all their test requirements because of their limited distribution network. Customers would not be happy trying to find these boutique oils. I wish Honda released data on the other oils tested and the results of their tests.

Not true. Saab, for years, distributed/bottled Elf Evolution 0w30 under the brand name "Saab LongLife oil," and was sold exclusively at dealership parts counters. If a product truly met their needs like no other product would, the OEM would find a way for it to be catered to meet service fill's demand. Think of BMW's special High Performance Synthetic Oil...the only approved product with no OTC equivalent.

I don't know if that is totally a valid comparison, Elf is a pretty big Euro oil company...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back