Response from Mobil....Hurricane formulations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long will oil companies have to use the "Katrina" formulas before they can return to their normal brews?

Just for information I sent a virgin sample of the M1 5W30 synthetic "hurricane blend" to Blackstone today. I suppose this will be the new formula after API certification. Will post results ASAP.

Yes that should be interesting Sully.
Was thinking about doing that myself,
now I won't have to.

grin.gif

take care.........Lukey

The hurricanes did affect the supply of one of the additives used in the Mobil1 motor oil formulation thus, we had to reformulate using different additive technology.

Mobil has tested the new formulation on many different platforms and is extremely confident that the new formulation will offer at least the same protection and performance you have come to expect from Mobil1 motor oils.

The reason the API verbage is not used is because anytime a petroleum marketer changes the chemistry of a product you must retest with the API to have this language on the bottle which is a long process and we should have it completed in 2-3 months.

Mobil stands behind our product 100% just like we always have and we do not believe it is inferior in anyway compared to the older formulation.

-Matt

Thanks and that is good to know.
I was just out at lunchtime and I noticed the
label markings for M1 5w-30 EP were different however I did not buy any yet.

Lukey

Now the question is, is the new formulation temporary or permanent?

My very wild unsubstantiated guess, it could be using the type of add pack more similar to Mobil 5000/7500. A bunch of Na. VOA should tell soon. Thanks Sully.

Tim,
Look a few threads down, you will see a thread called M1 labeling which should help you.
I for one am going to study up on all these specifications and markings and such. It would be good knowledge when buying an oil.

Lukey

I searched 3 SprawlMarts yesterday for pre-Katrina qt bottles of M1 10w-30 and it was all without the starburst and donut. Seems to be plenty of jugs though. Other oils seem not to be affected or at least do not admit it !

Thanks buster.

It's interesting. If it's permanent, we may still want to study hard on it. Now it's temporary, most people probably will just avoid it altogether if they know the difference.

I guess there is always a chance that it could still turn out to be something magical. I'm not counting on it though.

FYI, for anyone interested....

In my location, Northern Virginia [Western Fairfax], I bought the last three quarts of Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 from the Advance Auto parts in Herndon. I also checked Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Fairfax Auto Parts (in Chantilly), and Walmart (in Fair Lakes). All were completely out of Mobil 1 EP 5W-30. I did find plenty of Mobil 1 EP 10W-30, but no one has EP 5W-30. I also noticed the "suitable for" label on the regular Mobil 1 5W-30.....

For some reason, 5W-30 EP is hard to find....

TC8 hit it right on the head. A one line summary for BITOG ...." I guess there is always the chance it could turn out to be something magical".
worshippy.gif

Yesterday, took a swing down the oil aisle of one of my normal motor oil sources, a local Farm & Fleet store, and, except for a few stray bottles, the Mobil 1 shelf area was empty!

A sign announced that "the manufacturer was unable to ship this product" and gave rain check instructions regarding the sale price listed in a recent flyer.

Don't know if this touches on a "bait & switch" advertising issue, if the flyer identified the M1 synthetic as API SL/SM and the "suitable for" does not qualify as the same product?

My Pep Boys always is low on M1. I bought two cases of 5W-30 last week before i knew of a "Katrina Formulation". I checked the bottles last night and it's the pre-hurricane formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back