Repairing the hole in the engine block with iron blocks by a Pakistani craftsman

I enjoy watching these YouTube videos. Quite often, they use a nickel arc welding rod to repair cast iron. With that in mind, I've successfully used high nickel 316 stainless TIG rod and my TIG welder to weld cast iron, without torch preheating. Instead, starting very slowly until the temp climbs, then stitching the weld bead in different locations, to avoid concentrating excess heat.

It's a good thing the damage was a clean hole in mere "wall".
No oil lines or water jacket was involved.

I love how the narrator called him "The Master".
I'd love to know the scrap metal man's rates for different metal scraps.
Did you notice that the purchase was weighed?

I watched the entire video like this: O_O

OSEA would simultaneously have a heart attack and a field day over there. Sometimes, these repairs last just about as long as it took to slap them together.

That engine met its demise via bearing failure, likely overheated the nearby mains too, but nobody thought to check if the caps were still cozy. Oh well...

In a lot of the western world we're really only a few generations beyond doing this type of repair, but sadly today, it's hard to find somebody to repair a pair of shoes, and those that do weren't born here.
I'm already fixing everything I can at home, and I don't mean changing the oil. We're one generation away from that, not a few.

I'm already fixing everything I can at home, and I don't mean changing the oil. We're one generation away from that, not a few.
I don't mean fixing things around the home, your car or changing oil. I meant fixing "unfixable" things like this block with simple tools and procedures by the common man. A site like this is loaded with DIY'ers, but I don't think society in general is as much as it once was.

I don't think society in general is as much as it once was.
I'd love to know what this sounds like in Latin or anyone's favorite "old, sage expression" language. (edited as necessary).
I recently heard the following Yogi Berra quote for the first time. "The future, it ain't what it used to be". (same sentiment)

Last edited:
In a lot of the western world we're really only a few generations beyond doing this type of repair, but sadly today, it's hard to find somebody to repair a pair of shoes, and those that do weren't born here.
We've become a very disposable/consumerist society, one focused on growth/expansion/money. Because of modern manufacturing, it's simply become easier and often cheaper for us to throw it away and buy another (which isn't an endorsement from me)... it can be needlessly wasteful and a drain on finite resources, as well as a brain drain. Those folks don't have our money and resources, so they have to rely on skills and knowledge. As with pretty much all modern society, we head for "easy" - if those folks ever attain economic success in the same way other societies have, it's almost certain that they'll do it too.

In some ways, I think the more primitive societies were better than us and we're the ones who fall woefully short.

When the labor is dirt cheap, amazing things can be accomplished. Slave labor is even better.

Many lamenting at our throw away society, well would you like to be like this “skilled laborer”?
Yes, I am skilled labor. Why would I pay another to do work I can do for myself and my family? Would I want to do this kind of work for a living? Probably not, but I've fixed all sorts of "unfixable" things for myself and my family saving a ton of money while enjoying the journey.

Yes, I am skilled labor. Why would I pay another to do work I can do for myself and my family? Would I want to do this kind of work for a living? Probably not, but I've fixed all sorts of "unfixable" things for myself and my family saving a ton of money while enjoying the journey.
It all depends on how much you value your time, and what you enjoy. I get satisfaction from fixing stuff, but if I were a lawyer who bills at $300/hour my time would be better spent at the office while I pay someone else to fix my stuff.

Similarly, I can pay a Chinese slave less to make a new widget than I can pay an American to repair it. When was the last time you saw a TV repairman?

It is due to cost of labour vs. the cost of the thing that is being repaired.

There are shoe repairmen here, but they generally repair very expensive luxury shoes.

Back