Cheapest and the best way to repair exhaust leak

Hi all,

The exhaust pipe of my beater is starting to leak. The hole is located few inches near the flange of the muffler pipe. I usually replace myself the whole pipe when it starts to leak. But since I don't think the car is able to last for another two years, so this time I plan to just make some "quick" fix until it goes south. I already tried some repair kits in the past. But they don't last. It started to leak again after one or two months because heat cycles and vibrations. So if you have a positive experience with some exhaust repair kits or repair methods with positive results, please share :).

What is the make, model, and year of your beater?

We have a guy on here who has installed used exhaust systems on cars he flips…but I’m not a fan of that option.

Cut a soup can down the side and wrap it around the pipe. Secure with some hose clamps lol

rl45j1q5udp31.jpg

I want a cheap fix so that I am not breathing poisonous fumes.....OK....sure.

Reactions: hrv
It sounds like you have already tried the kits, but many, many years ago when I was poor and cheap (ok, I'm still cheap), I have used the exhaust repair tape with good success. The key is surface prep. Put it on a muffler covered in rust and 200,000 miles of road dirt, and none of the repairs are going to work.

Clean the area to be repaired of all rust and dirt. Then clean it with some alcohol, or some other solvent type cleaner. Then apply the exhaust repair tape. And let it fully cure per the instructions.

I want a cheap fix so that I am not breathing poisonous fumes.....OK....sure.
The hole is located in the rear, near the muffler. The manifold and the front pipe are still in a good shape. So I'm OK with the fumes

If you're wanting it to work more than a couple months, probably best to go to an exhaust shop on the bad side of town and tell them to put the cheapest thing they got on there.

But RockAuto/eBay/Amazon should have something that fits for cheap, that car has a ton of aftermarket support. Not like trying to get these parts for an Oldsmobile Firenza

Might be worth visiting your local auto parts store to see if you can get a foot of exhaust pipe and two clamps. Sawzall the old pipe, saving enough of a nub to slip the new pipe over, and clamp both ends down.

If it turns out the muffler itself is shot, you can get a universal "Thrush Turbo" from Advance Auto for cheap after coupons.

Back