Repairing Rusty Exhaust/Frame on '02 4Runner

My mechanic was replacing the O2 sensor on my '02 4Runner and noticed my frame had a few holes in it. She also noticed the flanges on the catalytic converter pipes were really rusted out. When you block the exhaust, you can feel air exhausting at the connection between the manifold pipe and the catalytic pipe. I have a "new" OEM muffler and pipe from muffler back.

I am thinking of having a muffler shop cut out that connection mentioned above and weld a section of pipe in its place. By the way, you cannot unbolt that section. Too rusty and bolt heads have disappeared. I'm not in a financial position to buy those 2 front pipes.

Also, I have done some googling and found there are shops that make repair frame kits for 4Runners. Do you have a suggestion or multiple suggestions?

I would like to have some ideas before I carry the car to my local exhaust guy.

Wow that’s pretty bad if the frame is rusted.

If it was cracked, I believe there are repair processes.

The thing with perforation rust is that you don’t know how much material is left that is solid metal along the whole length. Anyplace could be a failure waiting to happen.

I think I’d be looking to scrap that thing or harvest it for parts. Toyota trucks from this timeframe seem to be a major liability.

4runners and tacomas among others of that time were known for frame rot, Toyota actually had to replace frames on some for free.

With that being said if the rot is too bad and the holes are too big then it is time for the scrap yard or a new frame. You can get away with patching a few holes here and there but the rot on these things can get so bad they becomes death traps.

Share some pictures so we can see how bad it is to even see if it looks savable.

Going to need some pictures of the rust/rot. The 2003+ 4Runners had a recall to repair or replace the frame. The third gen, 96-02 is also known for rust/rot but the class action lawsuit was recently thrown out.

If the rot is localized it can be repaired. Rust can be treated if it is just surface rust. Unfortunately if the rot is extensive it may cost significantly more than the vehicle is worth to repair it. Need pictures :)

Thank you! I found them already. I’m trying to find someone with experience using a company.

Have you used their products?
I had a friend weld in one of their safe-t-caps on my Ranger because the frame had rusted away next to the gas tank. I think it was a good quality part and it made a safe repair.

My Ranger frame was fairly solid overall, but I guess that was one place where salt could build up.

I had a friend weld in one of their safe-t-caps on my Ranger because the frame had rusted away next to the gas tank. I think it was a good quality part and it made a safe repair.

My Ranger frame was fairly solid overall, but I guess that was one place where salt could build up.
Did he have to cut out the frame in that area or did this safe-t-cap go around it?

Those Safe-T-Caps (and their are others) are still not cheap in the long run. You can't weld good metal to bad metal. The rotted scale needs to be removed so that the plates can fit properly. You don't necessarily have to cut away the bad parts of the frame, a de-scaler will knock off the junk. If it just a few spots that isn't a big deal...just a bit time consuming and somewhat labor intensive.

Hopefully it is a few small spots that can be patched with pieces of sheet metal by a good welder. Either way, depending on the severity of the pictures... this could be the beginning of the end for that poor frame. Rot is like cancer and the cost to chase it down far enough is not worth the value of the vehicle.

I'll look forward to the pictures. I've been down this road before.

As for the exhaust pipe, absolutely do the cut & weld idea as proposed.

For the frame, cobble something together to get another year then go car shopping.

Rusted frame along with other issues, it's time to start looking to replace your 21 year old vehicle. I wouldn't fix it.

My brother had the same year 4-Runner. He brought it in for an oil change and the mechanic said was not worth doing the oil change. Too much rust. Not safe to drive. Tow it to the bone yard.

I suggested the frame repair kit but he decided to go with another 4-Runner that was only a year or two old.

A 21 year old car probably has a lot of miles on the engine and transmission. Inside worn along with suspension.

With the frame fixed, what's it worth? Time for a new vehicle.

Did he have to cut out the frame in that area or did this safe-t-cap go around it?
The safe t cap went over the frame.

The cab mount and front shackle were bolted through the safe t cap. I had to modify it because the cap was for a 98 and I have a 97.
IMG_20200517_143811441.jpg

Make the effort to talk to toyota- I was surprised at a 20 year old recall they performed on my old 4runner- center link. If the truck is otherwise in great shape see about a southern frame. My 1990 is in perfect shape.

Still pouring rain when I am able. Supposed to rain buckets through the weekend. My garage if full of yard sale stuff waiting for July 1st.

Back