Repairing Rusty Exhaust/Frame on '02 4Runner

Is this the one that you recently spent a fortune on the rear diff?
That is unfortunate. I'd have inspected the undercarriage and more, before proceeding with a high ticket repair on a 275K mi. vehicle this age. I don't know the vehicle history (a lot can happen in 20+ years) but I'd at least take a close look at the brake lines if they're still originals.

It's all good. I was just trying to find any other companies that make those frame repair kits. My Toyota dealer has already got me hooked up with someone to make the repair. Just trying to get some options and more info before I go out and get estimates.

My brother told me there were some class action law suits about the 4-Runner rust working their way through the court. That was a few years ago. Hold onto any receipts.

My brother told me there were some class action law suits about the 4-Runner rust working their way through the court. That was a few years ago. Hold onto any receipts.
Thanks for the tip.

I think all of this flows back to frames manufactured by Dana used by Toyota that must have not been treated properly or had pockets that held salt and other corrosion contaminats.

Remember several years ago Toyota had issues with rust damaged frames on pickups. Toyota swapped the components to a new frame. I'd bet Toyota forced Dana to foot the bill. Otherwise I would have expected Toyota to push new pickups giving credits for the old pickups.

I think the problems with the 4-Runners are similar.

What I read was Toyota could not keep up with the demand do they farmed out the frames and got inferior frames. Probably the cheapest bidder?

Well, it is much better than I anticipated. Only the inside rail on the passenger side has holes in it. About a 2 foot section right beside the muffler. Outer rail and bottom rail is ok. Entire driver side is fine. Welder was recommended by my Parts Mgr at Toyota (great Christian brother). Welder showed me about 10 pics of some he had done. HIs work looked clean and neat. His experience makes me feel much better. He said it most often this same spot on the Gen 3's. Right beside the muffler. He said mine wasn't so bad. He recommended I not buy a kit as that metal is usually thinner than what he would use in his repair. He showed me He said to clean out the trash inside the frame and it would be about a 6 foot weld. Would keep the 4Runner 2 days. I'll post some pics but it is hard to see with the muffler in the way. Approx $1000.

But...he said he doesn't mess with exhaust. That's on me to remove it. I live 30 miles away. I can remove the exhaust but I may not get the thrill I did when I dropped the exhaust on my '69 Mustang at 18 years of age. LOL At least I can turn off my hearing aids......

Attachments

• IMG_7163.jpeg
    IMG_7163.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7162.jpeg
    IMG_7162.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7160.jpeg
    IMG_7160.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7159.jpeg
    IMG_7159.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7156.jpeg
    IMG_7156.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7155.jpeg
    IMG_7155.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7153.jpeg
    IMG_7153.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 31
Dana does make high quality automotive parts but this must have been an exception.
The welder said he believed the inner rail was thinner on the Gen 3's. On the ones he has repaired.

Man, those pics suck. The last dark one is the best shot of the extent of the rust.

Back