Cheapest and the best way to repair exhaust leak

As a 96-00 Civic owner I'm guessing it is leaking before the muffler in the spot every civic exhaust rusts out in. Last one I had a muffler shop do was under a $150 including replacing the muffler. I had another shop on another civic just replace the pipe for $80. It's less than you'd expect.

As a 96-00 Civic owner I'm guessing it is leaking before the muffler in the spot every civic exhaust rusts out in. Last one I had a muffler shop do was under a $150 including replacing the muffler. I had another shop on another civic just replace the pipe for $80. It's less than you'd expect.
Yeah, I know. For myself, I have no problem to replace the pipe by myself and I did this before. But this time, I just feel cheap and too lazy to do this again. Furthermore, the car has now full of geriatric illness and I don't want to spend too much energy and money on it. I'm going to abuse it as much as I can until it dies (Yes, I'm a son of b...). It's also a challenge and a curiosity for me to find out which DIY is the best to fix an exhaust leak, so I can use this method for my next beater.

Here are some exhaust “repairs” using mild steel sheet metal and sheet metal screws from Home Depot. Make sure you use High Temperature sealant if you try this repair route.

IMG_9877.jpeg

IMG_9876.jpeg

IMG_9875.jpeg

IMG_9874.jpeg

IMG_9873.jpeg

IMG_9871.jpeg

IMG_9872.jpeg

Find an independent muffler shop, not a chain shop.
Explain exactly what you want. They can probably weld in a section for not too much.
I'm in Florida right now and my 2008 Corolla condo car was making noise for the last 2 years and finally the exhaust gave out last week. The break was right past the flange where the center pipe meets the muffler (on the muffler side so a new muffler would have fixed the problem). The Walker muffler listed for $122 at O'Reilly and $131 at AA but I didn't have tools or a lift so I brought it to an indie muffler shop which had very good reviews.
He quoted me $200 for the muffler and $75 to install it or $80 to weld in a piece. Knowing the rest of the exhaust system was original I opted for the latter and my car is now quiet. I totally agree that an independent shop is the way to go.

Back