Chrystler Sebring Exhaust Rot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
I was driving my cousins Chrysler Sebring convertible today and all of a sudden I heard the exhaust get deep and throaty (sounded like an import with the huge [censored] canon on the back). I pulled over and didnt see anything right away. I got back in and kept driving and just figure it was a hole in the exhaust or something. I got home and got under the car to look. Im not sure what it is called but I will explain it the best way I can:
The exhaust comes off the header then comes the Cat and then the pipe goes to what looks to be a mini muffler in the center of the car and then the exhaust pipe goes to the muffler/exhaust tips. Well the pipe between the mini muffler and the muffler/exhaust tips was rusted and rotted and it snapped off at the seem.
Does anyone know what a repair like this would cost ballpark?
Do I have to replace the muffler and everything or just the pipe leading to the muffler. I could get pictures if needed. Thanks guys.

the (mini muffler) is called the resonator lol.
So basically the pipe between the resonator and the muffler rusted and rotted and snapped at the seem where it meets the resonator. Anyone know if I can replace just the pipe or will I have to replace the resonator and muffler as well?

any good muffler shop will weld some pipe on there and get it fixed, but if your want to replace the unit it wont cost that much

So the assumption then is that the resonator and muffler don't have the same rot that the pipe between them has?

A lot of shops will still have someone competent to weld the exhaust. That's way to close to the fuel tank for any sort of DIY, besides just replacing the whole thing. Really, though, assuming the Cat is fine everything after that is probably a couple hundred bucks. So worst case still isn't that bad.

yeah everything from the headers to the resonator is good, but right after the resonator, the pipe leading the the muffler broke at the seem where the pipe meets the resonator. I was gonna take it to midas or some place to see if I can get it welded for a cheaper price. Think it is a good idea to just get it welded or just replace it? Its not my car it is my cousins car and he is in active military. Im surprised this happened because the car only has like 41,000 miles.

get more than one quote. suprisingly enough, I had an idependant shop come in hundreds less than the big muffler chains on my sebring. of course, mine is a 96 with a gazillion miles on it so it needed from the cat back....

Last edited:
anybody know how thick the exhaust tubing is from the resonator to the muffler is? 2.5" bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back