Rental Car .....good times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 09 Tahoe from Enterprise. Has 10k kms on it, OLM is at 10%, I checked the oil and it is halfway down the stick, so I threw some old waste 5w20 in it from my oil change on the weekend. It had about 8800kms on it and was synthetic so better than what was in there.

Never buy a used rental car.

Originally Posted By: cyclic
so I threw some old waste 5w20 in it from my oil change on the weekend.....

that was driven or rented by you?

This my friend is what integrity is all about. What would it have cost you to buy a cheap quart of oil?

I really really really do not understand people...

Never buy a car from Enterprise. My Grandmother bought one when I was a kid and it really was a clunker.

I bought a '02 Taurus from Hertz in 2004 with 25k miles on it. I still have my '02 Taurus and it now has 133,000 miles and is still going.

At one point in time my family had 5 Ford Tauruses. All of the Hertz rentals at one point in time. All of them were daily drivers for my parents, and brother and sister. The only problems we had were known issues with early high mileage Taurses.

Different rental companies treat their cars differently, and also different rental companies attract different types of people who rent their cars. What is their demographic?

I don't work for Hertz, but all the cars we bought and have rented have been in good working order. The only problem I have with renting cars is that you soon learn what you want to buy, and what should have never made it off an assembly line.

I rented a '08 Toyota Corolla on my Honeymoon, and with both my wife and I and a BUNCH of luggage that thing had some get up and go! I went around 400 miles on 3/4 tank, and that thing has a 13 gallon tank. Alas... my car is almost paid off.

And someone asked on another thread "should I buy a rental or not?"

Question answered I hope

Just picked up a 09 Tahoe from Enterprise. Has 10k kms on it, OLM is at 10%, I checked the oil and it is halfway down the stick, so I threw some old waste 5w20 in it from my oil change on the weekend. It had about 8800kms on it and was synthetic so better than what was in there.

Most rental car companies will pay you back for oil you added while renting the car. Just produce a receipt.

Why should I pay for a quart of oil ?

The oil I added was better than what was in there.

Integrity ....gimme a break.

Why should I pay for a quart of oil ?

Save the receipt. Get reimbursed. No big deal.

The oil I added was better than what was in there.

In whose dreams? How clean was that catch pan, anyway?

Integrity ....gimme a break.

Sounds like you need a definition of integrity.

Cyclic, adding used oil is better than the vehicle being low on oil. Most would not add a thing! You did a good thing.

Jim5- Good info! I never knew rental companies would reimburse you for oil you've bought at the store as make up oil.

I agree most people would not have even checked the oil. How did you like the Tahoe anyway? Was it the 5.3?

Wonder what they'd do if you said "I topped it up with Synlube. Now you'll never have to change it again! Now pay me my $200."

I guess Enterprise's maintenance practices vary from region to region.

Here in Santa Cruz, they take their vehicles to the local Firestone for oil changes every 3-4k, according to the Firestone assistant manager. That's better than me!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Spartuss

Jim5- Good info! I never knew rental companies would reimburse you for oil you've bought at the store as make up oil.

I have been reimbursed for an oil change I had done to a Budget rental vehicle on a long trip. I cleared it in advance - they said just present the receipt at closeout and they will deduct it off the bill, which is what happened.

Did you not have some extra "clean oil" on the shelf ?

So... you actually opened the oil cap and poured in old, black, dirty, oil ???

wow.

ok, I will give you credit for at least checking the oil, but to use used oil is simply not acceptable and in my opinion negates your good deed.

Guys, give the guy a break. Most would not have bothered to check oil, let alone add any oil in the correct viscosity.

The oil I put in there was still clean it was out of My Accord that is spotless.

You guys need to Lighten up, no I had no new oil otherwise I would have used it. That oil will be changed very soon I am sure anyway, so why waste new oil when it is going to be changed in a few hundred kms. That's an even a bigger oil sin in my books.
The New 09 Tahoe is nice, new 6 speed auto is better than the old 4 speed, the 5.3L is a nice V8.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back