Removing a bypass just as easy, but in reverse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided to install a non-TP oil bypass on my 2004 Honda CR-V. Either an OilGuard or Amsoil BK-11.

Are both systems reversible? I've found plenty on OilGuard on this site, but little about the Amsoil BK-11. I would like to hear some feedback from any BK-11 owners too.

Thanks in advance!

You have to drill a hole in the valve cover or oil pan for the return line so that's not reversable short of replacing the cover/pan. You'd have to find a way to plug the return hole somehow, it shouldn't be very difficult.

If you use a sandwich adapter then it's easily reversable with no remaining signs of modifications.

If the oil pan is metal, you use a STHB (self tapping hollow bolt) and when you take off the filter, you leave the STHB in the pan and use a 1/8" NPT plug to plug the hole where you took out the return line.

If the pan is aluminum, it is drilled and tapped. When you take the return line out, you also use a 1/8" NPT plug.

If you use the oil fill cap for return, just replace the cap.

If you use the valve cover, just remove the fitting and put a double washer/in/out with a nut and bolt.

cheers.gif

Both systems install the same way. There is a pressurized line going into the filter system and a return line going back to your engine.

The systems are identical in the way that you install them. The option lye the return line. You can put your return line to a valve cover, self tapping bolt in the oil pan, you can drill a hole in your oil cap, you can find a banjo bolt and replace your drain plug with that.

another option would be to use the sandwich adapter on your full flow filter.
 -
sadwich adapter

This would be the easiest to remove should you decide to do so. It will work with either the oil guard or the Amsoil BMK11 filter.

Hope this helps

Thanks all. Very useful information. I checked out the Perma-Cool site and now want an oil cooler too! Is it possible to use the oil filter "sandwich" adapter to run the bypass and the oil cooler or is the flow just to low?

I have the feeling that my option is either a) self tapping bypass with a permacool sandwich oil cooler or B) Perma-Cool sandwich adapter bypass only.

quote:

Originally posted by Razl:
Thanks all. Very useful information. I checked out the Perma-Cool site and now want an oil cooler too! Is it possible to use the oil filter "sandwich" adapter to run the bypass and the oil cooler or is the flow just to low?

I have the feeling that my option is either a) self tapping bypass with a permacool sandwich oil cooler or B) Perma-Cool sandwich adapter bypass only.

In this case you would "T" off the hose that is going to the oil cooler. The By-pass filter would allow enought restiction where most of the oil would flow through the cooler and back to the engine and some of the oil on that "T" would be filters.

Should work no problem, matter of fact this is what most folks do when they install a by-pass filter on their Automatic transmissions.

quote:

Originally posted by Razl:
...I mounted it with some brackets I made out of flat iron and it's very solid.

The ATF enters on the left and exits on the right via 90 degree barbed hose fittings. The "T" for the bypass filter is spliced into the return line.

So this is where I would substitute the ATF for an oil cooler instead (Sorry, still a newbie with this stuff so just checking).

Yes, you will have 2 hoses coming off of the sandwich adapter going to the oil cooler. You will use the hose going INTO the oil cooler to "T" off. Since this will be pressurized oil some of the oil will automatically go into the by-pass filter. Since the "AMsoil" bypass filter has a restrictor device in it only a little will be going throught it at any one time. You can do a return line back into the oil pan.

...I mounted it with some brackets I made out of flat iron and it's very solid.

The ATF enters on the left and exits on the right via 90 degree barbed hose fittings. The "T" for the bypass filter is spliced into the return line.

So this is where I would substitute the ATF for an oil cooler instead (Sorry, still a newbie with this stuff so just checking).

Would it work to install the bp filter in "series" in the pressure line going to the cooler?

As in oil going from the adaptor to the bp filter, out the bp filter and on to the cooler, then that goes back to the adaptor?

The adaptor has 2 holes for hoses. This I still don't understand. One sends oil TO the cooler, the other is the oil comimg back from the cooler? Seems that won't work unless there is a big pressure differential, or am I still too dense to use one of those things! LOL

[ June 25, 2004, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: 1977c10phxdriver ]

quote:

Originally posted by 1977c10phxdriver:
Would it work to install the bp filter in "series" in the pressure line going to the cooler?

No that won't work because the by-pass filter is very restrictive. It is only supposed to flow a few quarts per minute. This is the reason it is out of the main stream of the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back