Rem 870 vs. Moss 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it matters for you, the Mossberg 20ga autos are imported. The 12ga autos are made in USA. The 12ga guns are probably one of the best values in auto loaders and are seriously overlooked. They are very soft shooters, and the stock can be shortened.

For pump guns, I can't help you much. I do prefer the browning/Mossberg saftey location. But that's what I'm used to with double guns. I have a BPS, Ithaca, and Winchester model 12. They don't get shot very much. Sometimes the Ithaca comes out to play.

Only real way to tell which is best is settle on the configuration of each you like and shoot them both. If there is negligible difference in results, buy the cheaper/easier one.

I owned a 500 Persuader for several years, sold it to get a 590A1. I have also used 870's frequently for years. Both are fine guns and will do exactly what you need them to do. As pointed out before but what I really liked on the Mossy: tang safety, location and ease of use for the slide release, two extractors claws, the elevator sits flush with the bolt for loading and with the 590A1, one great set of ghost rings.

The Mossy is just easier to use and less dicking around with the safety and slide release. My hand does not leave the firing position.

With the 500 I disliked the endcap/barrel retaining bolt that did not allow a true take down of the mag for cleaning. It also backed out slowly during high round count shoots (perhaps it was just my shotgun that did this). Finally the 500 had a plastic trigger mech.

The low end 870's I believe had a plastic trigger mech as well.

Regardless they all worked as good as needed. Both have a simplistic design and operation and rarely fail.

I am still a big Mossy fan.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
The Mossy is just easier to use and less dicking around with the safety and slide release. My hand does not leave the firing position.

I like this about the Mossberg as well. That crossbolt safety sucks on a combat shotgun. For hunting and clay targets it's fine because it never gets used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back