Reliable Vehicles- what engines/trannys are best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine is looking for a reliable used minivan, station wagon, van or SUV, 2004 or newer. Her next preference would be a large sedan. She wants something largish and safe, but not a pickup truck. It has to have an automatic transmission.

I offered to ask around to get her a list of reliable vehicles to consider, and vehicles to avoid. By 'reliable' I mean you can put a lot of miles on it by following routine maintenance, easy on oil, easy to work on, cooling system plays a part as well- hopefully it never had Dexcool in it... what else should she consider?

In your opinion, what vehicles have the best engines, transmissions, etc? What years are especially good, or bad? The only thing I can recommend from personal experience is the Panther platform with the 4.6.

She and I appreciate your advice.

Most Toyota powertrain combos are amazingly long-lived when properly maintained. The Sienna one from 04-09 uses basically the same combination we have in a slightly earlier Lexus ("X"mz-fe and Aisin U151 5-speed transmission), and they can easily go very far with routine maintenance. We have 250k miles on ours so far and it runs like new, and uses no make-up oil between 7.5k OCIs with quality synthetic oil. The transmissions rarely have any issues unless abused. I recently had to replace the PS pump, alternator, and oil control valves, but after 1/4 million miles that is pretty small maintenance (other than timing belts of course).

You can also get this powertrain combo in V6 Camrys, Avalons, and Lexus ES series.

Here's a one owner 2005 Sienna with maintenance records for sale locally:

http://www.coultertempe.com/VehicleDetails/used-2005-Toyota-Sienna-5dr_XLE_FWD_7_Passenger_%28Natl%29-Tempe-AZ/2667473083

I've tended to favor the Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Lincolns and Caddies...rear wheel drive, no funky air suspensions, etc. These cars can be found easily fairly cheap and with lower miles. Old folks don't drive a lot. The 4.6L modular engines and the Auto Transmissions can easily get you to 200K+...as long as you buy it from an original owner that can show routine servicing of engine/trans fluids, etc.

Last time I looked at a Crown Vic was in 2008. I was surprised I could buy a 6-8 yr old vehicle with 30K-40K miles for around $6K. Probably similar today. They have big trunks....big enough where I routinely haul bags of leaves and other stuff in them. Less bells and whistles on a standard CV or GM means less stuff to fail on you later. Old folks typically buy these cars and don't beat on them. That's who I've always bought mine from...someone 55-75 yrs old.

I've owned several of those cars in the past 15 yrs taking 2 of them over 200K miles with highway miles. Everyone does love the Toyotas, Nissans, Lexus, etc. Those seem to cost more though because of the stronger demand. Even high mileage cars seem to cost a lot. GM 3800 is a good choice too...bullet proof. I've liked the bigger sedans so those have been V8's. MPG on the 2004-2009's is probably only around 18-22 mpg overall.

How big? A CRV type thing with a 4 cyl would do well. And when work is needed it'll be much easier than V6 minivan.

One of the later Saturn VUEs with the 4 cyl and multispeed (not CVT) auto trans should do ok. The early ones ate timing chains but they say 04+ are ok.

Originally Posted By: shiny
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
GM 3800.

Series I? Series II? ...?

Non-series III and non-supercharged. Also, avoid Series II with any possible LIMG issues. Series 1 is a good one.

I vote late 80s to early 90s Nissan as well. Back when Nissan V6 was a 3.0L not 3.5. Maxima 4DSC, Sentra, etc.

Here's a real dark horse. Check out the 2008 and newer Mitsubishi Outlanders. Very reliable, top safety rating and because Outlanders are not big sellers they cost much less on the used market than the big names CUV's (RAV 4, CR-V) they compete with.

Our 2005 Highlander is now our granddaughter's daily driver. Been trouble free for 10 years. Don't know about vans.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BreakerBreaker
Series 1 is a good one.

^^My fave 3800 and the best one imo.

Originally Posted By: BreakerBreaker
I vote late 80s to early 90s Nissan as well. Back when Nissan V6 was a 3.0L not 3.5. Maxima 4DSC, Sentra, etc.

These too.

Rav4 or CRV; obviously be prepared to pay.

FWD V6's can be easy or a creation of the devil to work on. So inspect carefully.

I looked @ a mazda 6 wagon recently and wore out my shoes running away.

Last edited:
I don't care for opinions. I want facts. The best place for accurate information is still:

www.truedelta.com

Sign up, do a bit of reliability research and make your mind up. It should be exceedingly clear which vehicles will likely be troublefree.

You will hear opinions that GM, Ford or Dodge make the best trucks. Yet, when compared objectively, Toyota has, by far, the lowest, large pickup truck repair rate.

Subaru Outbacks
Volvo Wagons

Shoot even old 4.0L Cherokees, as long as you keep it topped with oil, they're normally good to go.

Others may disagree, but I've known several people with several of these cars get to 300k when maintained

Toyota Sienna or Camry hands down.

The 3.8L engines are great in GMs, but they're coupled to a junky transmission.

They tore apart a 500k mile Ford Escape Hybrid that did taxi duty in NYC and the engine was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back