Relevance of changing the oil filter every OCI

Both points seem valid although I have experience ONE seepage (very minor) from a defect, subaru oem oil filter but never a dripping drain plug(s), including one fumoto valve (knock, knock). I guess one can remove the filter to dump the old oil in the filter then reuse but in the grand scheme of things, that amount doesn't make any difference and not worth taking the risk of breaking the seal and or weakening the rubber gasket - of a canister type

I guess one can remove the filter to dump the old oil in the filter then reuse but in the grand scheme of things, that amount doesn't make any difference and not worth taking the risk of breaking the seal and or weakening the rubber gasket - of a canister type
The gasket on a used spin-on is also permanently deformed from being crushed for so long ... so if it's removed and reinstalled, the base gasket does not not the same elasticity as when it was new. And the "3/4 to 1 turn" for installation doesn't apply any longer.

The gasket on a used spin-on is also permanently deformed from being crushed for so long ... so if it's removed and reinstalled, the base gasket does not not the same elasticity as when it was new. And the "3/4 to 1 turn" for installation doesn't apply
Yeah...it would be tough to put on a used rubber once "used" and taken off ;-)

And the "3/4 to 1 turn" for installation doesn't apply any longer.

Lots of filters (at least the ones I buy) still say that on the can. Do you suppose that will go away soon? Perhaps I missed something in the thread. Are we talking about a specific filter, or in general?

Lots of filters (at least the ones I buy) still say that on the can. Do you suppose that will go away soon? Perhaps I missed something in the thread. Are we talking about a specific filter, or in general?
I'm talking about reinstalling a used removed filter for another run. How do you what the "turns" should be on a crushed/deformed base gasket. The "3/4 to 1 turn" install instructions on the can are based on a new unused base gasket.

They also like and recommend 0W-16 oil. I don't use that either. 👎
LoL ... not really apples-to-apples. CAFE doesn't make car manufactures suggest to changing the oil filter every oil change.

Some people like to exaggerate the hypothetical risk of leaks from re-installed filters. None of the many I re-installed leaked, except when I didn't tighten them sufficiently.

At approx 8 years and 35k miles, I took off mann filter off my BMW X1 that ran 17k miles, and discovered that most oil runs back down into sump.

The filter was clean enough, so I'll go 20k filter, and 10k oil.

I needed to know that since car needs 5.5 quarts with filter, and 5 quarts if you don't change filter.

I need to measure what comes out because it's electronic gauge that I don't trust.

I've never caught it a quart low on gauge or measure even after 11k miles.

^^^ That's another reason why the oil filter shouldn't be disturbed if running it for another OCI.

Last edited:
Seriously though, here's the part I'm having trouble with. Leaving the same oil filter on for another go is one thing. I wouldn't do it, but that's me. I like everything as clean as possible, if I'm going to go through all the trouble, work, and mess of doing an oil change.

But if you're going to unscrew the thing, why not change it and be done with it? What are you saving, $5.00 if that? A party size bag of Doritos. 1-1/2 gallons of gas.... If that.

Plus, as was mentioned, you're risking a much greater possibility of a leak. What's the big reward here? I'm not seeing it. This is like using the toilet twice before you flush it, in order to save water.

^^^ If you are doing OCIs that are less than the manual states, leaving an oil filter on for a 2nd run really isn't going to hurt anything - as long as the filter is rated for the total mileage it's used. The 8 to 12 oz left in the filter and gallery isn't going to make any real difference, especially if the oil is ran less than recommended. Honda engineers don't seem to have any issue recommending it in their service schedule. Some motorcycle manuals also show the filter being used for more than one OCI. My Suzuki Hayabusa manual calls out every 3rd oil change, but the OCIs are pretty short. Guess they think changing the oil filter every time under certain use conditions is a waste of an oil filter ... what other reason would they do it.

1645345414806.png

Back