Redline...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
If you know the HTHS vis of an oil, the KV100 spec' has no useful meaning in terms of how thick or thin an oil is terms of it's operational viscosity.

Some of the Comp Eliminator guys would disagree, as oil drain-back is a big part of the reason they run 10-weights instead of 20-weights. I read an interview with John Mihovetz some years ago where he described the oiling issues with his high high-rpm Ford 4.6 4V 2500 HP drag car. He installed glass windows on the timing chain cover and cam cover to observe oil flow, and at high rpm the timing chain was acting as an escalator from the pan to the right cylinder where the oil was backing up in that cylinder head, simultaneously causing oil starvation concerns and a frothy mess (parasitic losses) in that cylinder head's valve-train. A big part of the fix here was to use a 0W-10 oil.

In drag racing the oil rarely if ever gets anywhere near 100C oil temperatures. Heck, you're often lucky to see 40C, hence the popularity of RL's 5wt (KV40 22cSt) and 2wt (KV40 11cSt) drag race oils. Or better still RP's XPR 3.6 (KV40 3.6cSt) which is virtually kerosene I suspect with a boat load of anti-wear additives.

Thanks shpankey! Yes, I was talking about RL and 300V not GC.

19.gif

-Dennis

Jeff, I live in CA too. I order 5W-30 Redline by the case/12 from Amazon.com for a few pennies less than $10 per quart and that's delivered to my front door, and no stinkin' 8.75% tax for the bums in Sacramento.
I have a Nissan 370Z, a high strung engine and one that runs hot and feel that Redline is a good choice for it.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
No Local dealers in my area. I live in a rural area in the SoCal desert. Closest retailer is in San Diego, which is 130 miles away. Redline is in the Bay area of CA and shipping to me was not bad. We will see how the Redline does in my Evo. I will get bashed all over the Evo boards for using a 5/30 in the Evo, but then again, the guys on the Evo forums really dont get oil, thats why I come here.
smile.gif

Jeff

Just realized something:

I can't stand Amsoils "our oil walks on water" approach

Technically, it does....

12.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Just realized something:

I can't stand Amsoils "our oil walks on water" approach

Technically, it does....
Yes, it does! All oils walk, or rather float on water.
I don't understand the "ANTI-AMSOIL" attitude by so many here. Fact is, AMSOIL Inc. INVENTED the World's First-Ever Synthetic Motor Oil. (Then known as :"AMZOIL") Everyone else, i.e. RL, RP, M1, etc. have simply followed in their footsteps. Also, if you look at their on-line product catalog, you'll see that they have the most extensive line of Products currently available. As for myself, I have ran nothing else in all of my vehicles & equipment for over 25 years & have NEVER had to replace ANY internal parts in anything! I'm not saying the others are not good, they are. But my choice of Synthetics (& realted Products) are AMSOIL.

12.gif

Originally Posted By: DAB1123
Fact is, AMSOIL Inc. INVENTED the World's First-Ever Synthetic Motor Oil.

crackmeup2.gif
Not only did Amsoil not invent anything (Hatco supplied Amsoil's motor oils until the late 70s), they didn't even market the first synthetic automotive motor oil. NEO, Synlube, and I believe All-Proof and Chevron offered synthetic motor oils before Amsoil. Synthetic oils can be traced back to the 1930s. Amsoil's claim to fame is they they offered the first synthetic motor oil that was tested against all of the API's engine sequence tests, passed the SAE SE/CC specs, and was MIL-L-46152 approved.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!! WHY do you make a FOOL out of yourself??!! I guess I'll have to give you the exact quote:
"In 1972 AMSOIL became THE FIRST SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL IN THE WORLD to meet API certeria...." And as for another company supplying their oil into the late 70s' you're out of your fool mind! AMSOIL has ALWAYS made their own. It's IGNORANT FOOLS LIKE YOU which make me sick! Do research & get the FACTS before posting such LIES, or at least your own MADE-UP "Facts"!!!

Whoa there buddy. Talking like this to a well established member is not a good idea. It's fine to disagree but you need to be civil, o.k.?

Lies, fibs, propaganda. It's all the same. It's the disciples that bother me...

BTW, if you had enough time here to have a point of reference you'd know that Ben99GT isn't "anti-Amsoil". He's just anti-bull.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!! WHY do you make a FOOL out of yourself??!! I guess I'll have to give you the exact quote:
"In 1972 AMSOIL became THE FIRST SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL IN THE WORLD to meet API certeria...." And as for another company supplying their oil into the late 70s' you're out of your fool mind! AMSOIL has ALWAYS made their own. It's IGNORANT FOOLS LIKE YOU which make me sick! Do research & get the FACTS before posting such LIES, or at least your own MADE-UP "Facts"!!!

First off, you started by stating that Amsoil invested synthetic oil. That is inaccurate. Synthetic oil was first produced in World War II, and had absolutely nothing to do with Amsoil.

Secondly, the mention that Amsoil had the first API certified oil may or may not be accurate. I don't know. However, I do know that is different than what you posted originally. Inventing synthetic oil and creating the first API certified synthetic oil are two different things. ExxonMobil and SOPUS were probably the first companies to have Dexos certified synthetic motor oil. That doesn't mean they invented synthetic motor oil.

As for going bonkers at the mention of Hatco, I suggest you do some reading and find out who Hatco actually is and what their role was. Ben99GT did not pull that name out of thin air.

DAB1123 - man listen to me. Al Amatuzio is truly a great man. He was WAY ahead of all the big conventional oil companies. He was right and the same oil companies prove it every day with their synthetic offerings. The thing is, synthetic oils existed before Amsoil. Not necessarily street car oils in the USA. Amsoil was indeed the first API synthetic oil. (which is kind of ironic when you think about it.) Did Amsoil help put synthetic oil on the map? Heck yes, just like Mobil did. You don't need to force the issue. Especially on this site, you just bring the haters out and reinforce the stereotype - when you don't get the facts perfectly correct - because trust me, many people will just pounce on any tiny error.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
DAB1123 - man listen to me. Al Amatuzio is truly a great man. He was WAY ahead of all the big conventional oil companies. He was right and the same oil companies prove it every day with their synthetic offerings. The thing is, synthetic oils existed before Amsoil. Not necessarily street car oils in the USA. Amsoil was indeed the first API synthetic oil. (which is kind of ironic when you think about it.) Did Amsoil help put synthetic oil on the map? Heck yes, just like Mobil did. You don't need to force the issue. Especially on this site, you just bring the haters out and reinforce the stereotype - when you don't get the facts perfectly correct - because trust me, many people will just pounce on any tiny error.

Thanks for a no-bull post by an Amsoil advocate. Which is just what I always expect, and see, from you...

Originally Posted By: dparm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

History is right here (as much as I hate quoting Wikipedia). There is some truth to the Amsoil "first synthetic claim".

Some of that is a little dubious, but not bad. The thing is - Al went to Hatco, Hatco didn't come to Al. Why? Because they had the diesters that Al knew from jet engines. Al knew he would have a winner - plus he also found out, stores didn't want to carry it.

Like I said though, it's Wikipedia and definitely shouldn't be authoritative or the only source you use.

Thursday night passions.. There was also some significant work on poly-alpha olefins done at Amoco (Standard Oil of Indiana) in 1920s.

dparm, calm down man, this is a civil site and insults are not tolerated.

What Ben said is correct. I worked for Hatco for 38 years and was there in 1972. Trust me, the oil was formulated and manufactured by Hatco. However, as Pablo said, Al Amatuzio came to Hatco, and he was the driving force behind the project. While Amsoil was not the "first in synthetics" by far, they were the first company to market an API certified motor oil and put synthetics on the map, and that deserves credit.

TomNJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back