Redline...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched to Redline oil in my rebuilt 454 as soon as breakin was established..Only around 1,000 miles so far n all is well but I would like some input from others who have been using Redline for awhile and tell me how they liked it....Thanx...Jerrylee///

This is the wrong forum for this, but I've used it for three OCIs so far and my LS1 seems to LOVE the stuff!!
In fact, the only other oils I would consider for it are; the Amsoil Series 3000/ASL 5W-30 or Euro 5W-40, Pennzoil Platinum or one of the Schaeffer's fine products.

Last edited:
Redline is great oil . Unless you are doing NASCAR or running on the autobahn or towing a heavy trailer or on an offshore boat without an oil cooler can you ever have your foot into it long enough to overheat the oil as to benefit a syn oil? Hdeos will give you all the protection needed.

What's the cost on Red Line like?

I haven't even seen it available at a store around me in the south 'burbs of Chicago.

It's worth every penny. Good oil. We have had our best dyno results with Red Line. You don't need to add anything to it, just run it. We have a customer that has a sponsorship from another oil company. He has asked and asked for tech help and received nothing. Now he takes the money, wears the logos, puts them on his car and runs Red Line. They know about it and don't care, they want the exposure and he wants the best oil. He has been running if for 10 years or so with no surprises. It is expensive but it's also good.

Excellent racing oils in a variety of grades. Very shear stable.

1. Ran it in a saab turbo until 318k miles when I sold the car. Ran like new when sold and no mechanical issues except wear items such as clutch.

2. Just started running it (5W40) in my boxster and after 1k miles the car is much more quiet and smooth (engine noise is pronounced on boxster as it is 12" behind your ears and you notice any difference). This is a totally subjective thing though and may not indicate anything about wear/cleanliness/sludge buildup, etc.

3. Just started running it (10W30) in my volvo 2.4l turbo. Oil consumption is high and the car seems to run noisy/has vibration with any oil. Just bought this car and I put redline in it thinking it would smooth it out somewhat but it has not and oil consumption is high (5k on oil). Will run redline one more run and then switch to amsoil to see how it behaves.

An excellent oil particulary with an engine prone to sludge like the Toyota engines put out previously. I had the model/year that was supposedly having sludge problems and I ran nothing but Redline. When it was opened up it was clean as new. Very shear stable too.

I can get it for about $9 a quart around Detroit.

I run Redline ATF and rear end lube, but normally not their oil, just because I can't justify it. I would use it in an air cooled engine and it is in my motorhome generator engine right now (though the gen will next get the Amsoil PAO that is sitting on my shelf looking for a use).

Small 4 banger cars probably would do well with Redline if you like to wring them out (which is necessary to get anywhere with a 4 banger).

Redline would be really nice with a turbo.

REDLINE is excellent oil and a group V. I place it at the top of the list of all oils - the best of the best. Their Fuel system cleaners are great too.

Originally Posted By: Edmond
What's the cost on Red Line like?

I haven't even seen it available at a store around me in the south 'burbs of Chicago.

You are only going to find it 'on the shelf' in a speed/specialty shop. I doubt that the chains/mass marketers will EVER carry this 'boutique oil' (as some like to call it).

BTW; at these shops I have seen it for $8.50-$12.00 a quart.

I have Red Line products in my drivetrain (transmision, transfer case, rear end), but haven't tried it in the engine itself. I have a bunch of Free After Rebate stuff to go through first.

Baxter auto parts is a chain store that sells redline for $7.58 /qt. I think this is a northwest/CA chain? but maybe they would do the free shipping on a case also.?

I would like to try redline in my 2001 S4 however it does not meet any of the VW specs (502.00, 505.01) that are required. I emailed them and they said that it it's not certified but it will do fine. With the Audi warranty, I just can't take the chance of using it. Amsoil European formula meets both.

I do use Redline MT-90 in mt pathfinder trans but the rest of the truck is all Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Baxter auto parts is a chain store that sells redline for $7.58 /qt. I think this is a northwest/CA chain? but maybe they would do the free shipping on a case also.?

WOW!! I have NEVER seen it that inexpensive!! That is getting down into the 'off-the-shelf' oil prices!! In fact, I've seen M1 EP, Synpower, and domestic Castrol Syntec for MORE than that!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back