My brain hurts c5 Z06 oil

What started as a simple internet search is now full blow down the rabbit hole.
I was looking online for what may be an upgrade from Mobil 1 5w30 in my 03 C5 Z06. I ended up here looking at opinions on Motul 8100 and now my head hurts. I will probably spend the entire weekend educating myself on the finer details of oil.
As far as the car goes. It’s a weekend toy and gets driven very spirited up and down the mountains in WNC. I am also doing some Autocross. Car is NA and making about 440rwhp and my rpm redline has been bumped to 6800.
64K on odometer.
I’m sure the M1 is just fine, but better is well better right ;) Is there extra protection to be had by switching to a group 4 oil or to change viscosity? I’m not concerned about extended changes only benefit. From some reading I’m not sure the extra expense is worth it for someone who charges oil often.

BTW I did do some searching before posting. Lots of good info but a lot of very old posts for anything C5/LS related.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you have good oil pressure throughout the rpm range, then it's hard to beat what you're already using. If you want something a little extra, Mobil 1 in the European 0w-40 flavor is very popular with knowledge members on the site.
I appreciate the reply. I’ll take a look at the euro 0w40. I’ve seen the Euro spec on lots of threads from this site.

What started as a simple internet search is now full blow down the rabbit hole.
I was looking online for what may be an upgrade from Mobil 1 5w30 in my 03 C5 Z06. I ended up here looking at opinions on Motul 8100 and now my head hurts. I will probably spend the entire weekend educating myself on the finer details of oil.
As far as the car goes. It’s a weekend toy and gets driven very spirited up and down the mountains in WNC. I am also doing some Autocross. Car is NA and making about 440rwhp and my rpm redline has been bumped to 6800.
64K on odometer.
I’m sure the M1 is just fine, but better is well better right ;) Is there extra protection to be had by switching to a group 4 oil or to change viscosity? I’m not concerned about extended changes only benefit. From some reading I’m not sure the extra expense is worth it for someone who charges oil often.

BTW I did do some searching before posting. Lots of good info but a lot of very old posts for anything C5/LS related.

What ripcord stated is a very good call here…

Look up Porsche A40 testing… If a oil like Mobil 1 0w40 is able to pass that extremely tough test… Then it’s more than good enough for your C6…

By the way… Have you driven over Rte 276 up and over where it crosses the Blue Ridge parkway ? That’s a tough and beautiful drive.

Or Rte 215 up and over the Blue Ridge parkway. Amazingly tough curvy drive up and down that same area… The southeast downhill side of that road heading to Brevard is amazing. A 3,000 foot drop of in elevation from Beech pass down to Rte 64.

Those 2 passes are the highest in elevation all of the major roads crossing the Appalachian Mountains. Off the top of my head the only other 5,000 ft plus pass on a major road is Newfound Gap on Rte 441 into Tennessee from Cherokee NC.?

Last edited:
What ripcord stated is a very good call here…

Look up Porsche A40 testing… If a oil like Mobil 1 0w40 is able to pass that extremely tough test… Then it’s more than good enough for your C6…

By the way… Have you driven over Rte 276 up and over where it crosses the Blue Ridge parkway ? That’s a tough and beautiful drive.

Or Rte 215 up and over the Blue Ridge parkway. Amazingly tough curvy drive up and down that same area… The southeast downhill side of that road heading to Brevard is amazing. A 3,000 foot drop of in elevation from Beech pass down to Rte 64.

Those 2 passes are the highest in elevation all of the major roads crossing the Appalachian Mountains. Off the top of my head the only other 5,000 ft plus pass on a major road is Newfound Gap on Rte 441 into Tennessee from Cherokee NC.?

276, 215 and 281 are all fun drives. Traffic is normally minimal unlike the better known places like Deals Gap.
Plenty of other roads east of that area as well near Little Switzerland. I’m not sure elevations.

I’ve already bought some.
Dare I ask what the current Apex oil filter is these days? I’ve always used WIX or the Mobile 1.
That Mobil you got is likely the absolute best oil you can buy for $30. Since you’re out of warranty and want “the best” you may waltz over to hplubricants.com or PM @High Performance Lubricants to see what he’d recommend for your next oil change.

There are some really successful racers that could buy any oil money can create (NHRA Pro Stock, Street Outlaws, World of Outlaws, Pro Stock Motorcycle… the list goes on), and they use HPL.

I’ll probably stick with the Mobil 1, but it’s nice to know what is out there. Normally I wouldn’t nitpick so much, but with heads, cam, intake work etc the motor has quite a bit of money in it.

276, 215 and 281 are all fun drives. Traffic is normally minimal unlike the better known places like Deals Gap.
Plenty of other roads east of that area as well near Little Switzerland. I’m not sure elevations.

came here to suggest M1 0W-40 as well - sounds like it would be a perfect fit, you can find it at any walmart in the country, and the price is unbeatable. i use it in both my vehicles that are specced in the US for 20 and 30 weights but internationally for 40 weights, and its a great oil to beat on and run a good distance between changes.

speaking of which, i ran from my home in E. GA up 28 to 281, across the BRP and then down 215 to 178 a few years back on the way to a cabin and had M1 0W-40 in the sump of my Si. spent a lot of that trip between 6-8k RPM, and my oil analysis afterwards was just about as good as i could ever ask. absolutely love that area, if we're lucky someday we'll get some land up there. i go up to the Blood Mt. area often as well and never think twice about my oil holding up.

love the Z. its on my short list of cars to own next. buddy of mine had one, mostly stock, that i got to test drive and the experience is still fresh in my mind of how capable they are.

Back