Red Line/Ester based oils for engine cleaning?

I actually noticed that if you type in hpl oil there are two different companies. Digging deeper I see it's the second one with the greenish colored label not the red. But I find it hard to see how you order their products from their website.
You buy from here:

or Torco
or MPT 30k
or vegetable based RLI
or animal based G-oil
or Motul Estercore
or Belray
or Maxima
or HPL

Or run a pint of Rislone, Marvel, LubegardBiotech, STPsynthetic, AutoRX, Zmax...

Whatever happened to Lubecontrol LC20 that was overhyped here years ago.... no one remembered the secret formula whispered by someone on their deathbed to someone else's ear??

Want to clean an engine? Shorten the oil change intervals, vary the brands of oil, and use a quality oil filter. It'll take time but it'll clean itself out.
So, what's the hurry? Why does everyone need instant gratification cleaning with some overhype overpriced products?

Why is my ol' Toyota with 180k miles spotless without ANY of the ester products just using whatever synth oil on sale/rebate/discounted on the clearance rack at any autopart store or from walmart?

If you need cleaning, you're doing something wrong.

A prior post of mine had numerous comments about detergents not actually meant to clean but keep engines from getting dirty. Ester oils were mentioned as the true stars of cleaning. So would that mAke Red Line or another Ester oil based brand the go to oils for cleaning up a neglected engine?

Whatever you decide keep in mind that there are different types of esters.

I've had great experience with Red Line Oil, and the cleaning power is real for my BMWs. They run very smooth on their high performance oil line. My Z3 M52TUB25 engine had that red sludge when I bought it from the BMW stock oil, extended OCIs. After a few OCIs with RL it cleaned up nice at 52 k miles, as seen here when I had the VCG replaced.

The article above is very interesting and informative regarding ester oils. RL touts POE in theirs.

C575CFFC-56A2-4352-B4C8-4840B3165690.jpeg
A6C49ADA-F939-4A08-A8E0-5B48874E8491.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had great experience with Red Line Oil, and the cleaning power is real for my BMWs. They run very smooth on their high performance oil line. My Z3 M52TUB25 engine had that red sludge when I bought it from the BMW stock oil, extended OCIs. After a few OCIs with RL it cleaned up nice at 52 k miles, as seen here when I had the VCG replaced.

The article above is very interesting and informative regarding ester oils. RL touts POE in theirs.
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing this. Just wow!

Not saying this is a good idea... but.... Stihl Ultra 2 stroke oil contains 80% TMP Ester according to the MSDS.... Extremely concentrated, but with another 20% additive package of who knows what...

I personally use Marvel Mystery Oil, Redline, and then Rislone for solvents (MMO has Naphthenic Petroleum Distillates, Redline has PAO and Esters, and Rislone has 11% TMP ester according to a lab test I saw posted on BITOG). I dont usually run these for a full OCI just because I am not a chemist and I don't think I am smarter than the chemists at Shell or Mobil... but I get some nice sludge and varnish cleaned up with them... i use small amounts to avoid seal swelling.. but we'll see how it pans out long term.

I think I would trust the HPL Engine cleaner the most, just because of how well respected it is on here. It's my next purchase once i use up my Rislone. But I do own some of the Stihl Ultra oil (i use it for its intended purpose for my 2 stroke small engines) but i cannot say i am not tempted to dilute it to like 5% and run it iwith my PCMO for esters! (like a short term engine flush before an OCI)

1679093115614.png

Many years ago, when I first switched to Red Line for my 1984 Ford wagon (LTD, 3.8L v6) I noticed that after about two weeks with the new oil, it seemed to be changing color much sooner than I expected.

With some thought, my conclusion was that the engine had some sludge built up. I did some research and came upon an oil change prep (flush) chemical by Liqui Moly. In that time frame they had two different products. One was a 10 minute before oil change. The one I used then you left in for 200 miles.

Fresh dead dino oil, new filter, in goes the Liqui Moly sauce. 200 miles later the oil came out BLACK as a moonlesss night. Sludge-no-more.

Now Liqui Moly only offers one oil change prep product. LM 2037.

fat biker

Not saying this is a good idea... but.... Stihl Ultra 2 stroke oil contains 80% TMP Ester according to the MSDS.... Extremely concentrated, but with another 20% additive package of who knows what...

I personally use Marvel Mystery Oil, Redline, and then Rislone for solvents (MMO has Naphthenic Petroleum Distillates, Redline has PAO and Esters, and Rislone has 11% TMP ester according to a lab test I saw posted on BITOG). I dont usually run these for a full OCI just because I am not a chemist and I don't think I am smarter than the chemists at Shell or Mobil... but I get some nice sludge and varnish cleaned up with them... i use small amounts to avoid seal swelling.. but we'll see how it pans out long term.

I think I would trust the HPL Engine cleaner the most, just because of how well respected it is on here. It's my next purchase once i use up my Rislone. But I do own some of the Stihl Ultra oil (i use it for its intended purpose for my 2 stroke small engines) but i cannot say i am not tempted to dilute it to like 5% and run it iwith my PCMO for esters! (like a short term engine flush before an OCI)

View attachment 145458
Very interesting.

I have a feeling that people on this site have the cleanest engines no matter what. :ROFLMAO:

Scientifically speaking, cleaner engine has more to do with the presence of the OCD chemicals (as oppose to chemical compounds AN) resulting in shorter than average OCI.

Since Moly prolongs the engine life by reducing the friction and heat, some may argue:
Moly + Short OCI = Very Clean Engine :alien:

I know both Red Line and Amsoil have a good chunk of moly but if you are chasing moly, Valvoline EP has a good chunk of it with a much more reasonable price.

Back