Red Line 5W Racing Oil, 2019 Lincoln Navigator 3.5L Turbo, 1,059mi - Oil, 29,000mi - Truck.

Also that repair order you posted does not look like a repair order I have ever seen and I have worked at a whole lot of stores.

Customers do not get a "repair order" they get an "invoice" and that one looks like just about everyone i've ever gotten Ford/GM/VW. Honda is more like a Repair order and generally has blue on it.

Here is an infinitely easier view of the FSA:

Why does it even matter?

Back to the oil and results. Errr... I would not continue...

This comparison between labs shows the limitations of Blackstone's method for measuring water and fuel dilution. Synthetic Advantage and Polaris found more accurate measurements using GC. Blackstone stated 0.0% for water while Synthetic Advantage found 851 ppm (0.0851%) in line with Polaris's
Yes there is a reporting tolerance for the ASTM method of estimating fuel from flash point. I no longer have access to all the ASTM tests so I don't know what it is, but given that flash point in and of itself is relatively imprecise it may be as you say.

The finding of some elements by some labs and not buy others is a concern - is there lead or not?

Nickel/Cadmium/Chromium? Is the there something plated in this engine?

Do we have any UOA from this engine running a more mainstream oil?

Blackstone averages for This Engine on the right hand column ? :

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 11.27.22 AM.jpg

Customers do not get a "repair order" they get an "invoice" and that one looks like just about everyone i've ever gotten Ford/GM/VW. Honda is more like a Repair order and generally has blue on it.

Here is an infinitely easier view of the FSA:

Why does it even matter?

Back to the oil and results. Errr... I would not continue...
Why does it matter. Bc to educate people what is actually replaced when you get recall 21N03 performed. The only components that gets replaced is the actual 4 cam phasers and the TTY bolts that hold the cam phasers nothing else. I’ve done thousands of these. Parts have to be saved bc when ford wants them back and you didn’t replace a bolt and or you have timing chains that were in the repair order, the claim gets kicked back and ford does not pay for that job. The dealer eats it. I have had some kicked back due to not providing parts.

I am waiting for all the VOA results to come in, probably next week. When I get those I will update the data base and add in the comments from all sources. That will be Post #2 in this series. As I replaced the 5W Red Line with your basic 0W20 PZ, that will come out some day and then that will be replaced by a 0W16 oil. A lot happening here.

Coincidently I have a previous (OEM) and current (RLI) UOA on the 812 Superfast as well as a VOA on the current running oil to post. Seems as everything is happening at the same time. Oh well...

Last edited:
Funny, I just came across this article, now on the internet, that is a little embellished but will give some people more reasons to throw stones. What the heck!

On the other hand it may help people understand why I stretch the envelope...

Ali

TestOil has a fancy little OA explanation handbook that may still be available for free. Notes all the metals and their likely sources. I have one buried somewhere…

I will try to look that up.

Blackstone also has a write up, i guess im looking more specifically for the Ecoboost engine. Things like ring pack makeup and bearing construction seem to be surprisingly difficult to ascertain.

"Things like ring pack makeup and bearing construction seem to be surprisingly difficult to ascertain."

Impossible is another good word. I tried to find the same OEM information and cannot. Maybe it is one of those secrets they do not want others to know about, proprietary ?

ali

"Things like ring pack makeup and bearing construction seem to be surprisingly difficult to ascertain."

Impossible is another good word. I tried to find the same OEM information and cannot. Maybe it is one of those secrets they do not want others to know about, proprietary ?

ali
OEMs are obviously more difficult, especially when combined with coatings used on some parts can cloud the source.

If one was determined enough to search down part numbers and suppliers, one could then ask the manufacturer. This is obviously easier on engines that have been rebuilt because the manufacturer of each part is known. If you wanted to go super deep into this, while rebuilding the engine a handheld XRF could be used to ascertain what materials are where, and then dissect a UOA or a ferrographic analysis using this information to determine what is wearing.

Since we have to standardize to ppm per 1,000 miles for these results to be put into perspective, this is a worrying report. 14ppm/1,000 miles of iron is extremely high. Here is another Ecoboost 3.5L UOA:

He has 12ppm/6,100 miles; 2ppm/1,000 miles; 7x less iron per 1,000 miles than in this report.

Iron tracks with mileage, so at 6,000 miles your iron would have been 84ppm. 😬

I'm used to Ford using Alumisil (bi-metal) bearings, silicon is really high, but aluminum isn't, which would lead one to conclude it isn't bearing material. I also don't see enough lead/tin for it to be a tri-metal bearing to explain the copper, so that's likely coming from something else (chelation), but where is the question! Also, your metal particles didn't look like copper, though if they are big enough to see, they are too big for the UOA to see them. Silicon is probably coming from silicone sealant from your timing set job if I had to guess.

Zinc and Phos are insanely high! WOW. Like @RDY4WAR I am surprised that phosphorous is higher than zinc. Unlike him however, I don't think this is a good report, lol. That's primarily based on what I previously noted about the iron.

Back