Recommendations of oil for my Prelude?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LewdLude
That's what I was thinking... I'm honestly concerned as to whether these oils are genuine or not.

Especially considering the fact that they were so cheap for being "imported oils", and that the owners weren't native English speakers either...

Can you take a pic of the bottles and the relative levels and post it ?

It sounds suss on the face of it for sure.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Can you take a pic of the bottles and the relative levels and post it ?

It sounds suss on the face of it for sure.

Sure thing, internet is being a little difficult at the moment so the upload might take awhile.
frown.gif

Here they are. They were all placed on a flat even surface. I also had to move the camera to the side on the last image to clearly show the oil level of that particular bottle:

r1mvix.jpg

j9aslk.jpg

254zc68.jpg

2vxitl4.jpg

I'd use the cheapest HM oil you can find - 10W-30 or 40 is fine. If you use that M1 HM, put a drip pan under the car and get a funnel to re-add it every morning.

I had a 94. Loved that car. Twenty years in this climate was all the body could handle. There's plenty of 90s Preludes out west that are going over 300,000 miles with no real issues.
I always used an inexpensive high mileage oil. It ran until 220,000 with only a tiny leak and no mechanical issues.

I had a 1997 prelude during high school back in 2000. I loved that car and I drove it hard. I raced everything I could and often upset the Mustang GT guys. That thing was faster than most people realized. I ran M1 5-30 for its life and never had issue. One day I got an itch for something else and I sold it to a friend of mine. One day we were talking and he said he had switched to 10-40 or something like that because it was older. I don't remember exactly the grade but I remember it being thicker than what was called for. Now my buddy would put that thing to redline all the time just like I did for years it was just that much fun to do. Anyway long story short I remember hearing he blew the motor up. Now I'm not saying it was due to the thicker oill as we beat on that motor for years even overheated it once at a track event (mostly overheating brakes that raised engine compartment temp). But the point is I never forget feeling like he should have stuck with 5/30 M1. I say try Maxlife 5-30 it's Dexos so it's better than conventional and it will help any leaks. Enjoy that classic V-tech. They don't make it like that anymore.

Originally Posted By: Jake777
I had a 1997 prelude during high school back in 2000. I loved that car and I drove it hard. ... Enjoy that classic V-tech. They don't make it like that anymore.

Thanks I will, I really do love the feeling of the V-tec kicking in... It's actually my first sporty car I've ever owned so you can probably imagine how excited I was when I first drove it.
smile.gif
I hope it lasts me for a long time.

On the other hand, does anyone have any experience with the issue I'm facing on pg. 3 of this thread? Because if the oil I got is fake, then I doubt my car will last very long if I use it.

Originally Posted By: LewdLude
Hi again guys, I just wanted to quickly clear something up.

Is it normal for bottles of oil (exact same brand / type) to have varying amounts of oil in them?

Say for example the bottles are supposed to be "1 Quart bottles of oil", except some bottles have a little less and some have a little more (for example 100ml give or take).

I purchased some Mobil 1 10w-40 HM oil from GLLubricants which is the place that B320i recommended (thought I'd play it safe before I switched to the 5w-30 HM version). However, it seems each bottle of oil isn't filled at a reasonably consistent amount. I'd honestly assume a big company like Mobil 1 would be more consistent with their portions per bottle...?

I'm sure at least Americans could help clear this issue right up, seeing as though you guys have M1 10w-40 HM quart bottles of oil being sold in your actual local stores if I'm not mistaken. I've also uploaded pictures of the differences in oil fill levels.

Maybe I should make a new thread about this issue since it's different to my OP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back