Recommendations for Tow Vehicle

2,000 lbs. is nothing. Anything with a > 2,000 lbs rating will be fine. You don’t need something with a higher rating as a “buffer”. The buffer is built into the factory rating already.

I towed my 5x8 enclosed aluminum trailer at 1,400 lbs total with my 3-cylinder Ford Focus for over 7,000 miles 5+ years and it was a breeze. 123HP was plenty.

Last edited:
leaving a saab 9-5.... youll be hard pressed to find the same beautiful cabin ergonomics in many of these vehicles. Saabs were pretty incredible when running. will this be your daily driver when not towing? since 2000 lbs is pretty small on the towing spectrum, I’d focus more on finding something you want to drive and live with, first. I’ve towed up to 4,000 lbs in fwd minivans and found them to be excellent ... my early 2000s Chrysler town and country was 3 times the tow vehicle of our 4x4 1997 pathfinder, due to a longer wheelbase and stiffer suspension in the van. FWD was not an issue. For that reason, even the newer Ford explorers make for a comfortable vehicle which would be quite doable as a daily, for towing, even with the 4 cylinder turbo.

I would not want to tow regularly with a sedan, unless it was a full-size. An accord, I wouldn’t want to put the rear suspension through that beating. If you found a crown Vic, it would do that all day long in comfort and style and simplicity of a RWD platform the way it was meant to be.

i would shy away from short wheelbase vehicles if you tow over any distance with any regularity. The wheelbase means so much for stability.

I towed some with a couple of keep grand Cherokee’s, though neither as long as a vehicle trailer. Solid rear axle means for better towing, in the older ones. At the weight of your trailer, any of the GCs would be fine, if you like the vehicle itself. I think the v6 pentastar is a great motor.

if you like the Saab and can handle European ownership, you might consider some of the Volvo suvs, though there’s some concern that the I6 is more engine than the transverse transmission can handle, opinions seem to vary, from guaranteed to fail, to original at 250k miles....

Hi
If you are on a budget, take a look at a 3.0crd WK Grand Cherokee. Find one that has been looked after and it will serve you well. In UK they are rated to tow 3500kg. The 5 speed transmission is a strong mercedes unit. It is found in many high power vehicles like the Mclaren Mercedes.

The latter WK2 Diesel engines were somewhat delicate.

leaving a saab 9-5.... youll be hard pressed to find the same beautiful cabin ergonomics in many of these vehicles. Saabs were pretty incredible when running. will this be your daily driver when not towing? since 2000 lbs is pretty small on the towing spectrum, I’d focus more on finding something you want to drive and live with, first. I’ve towed up to 4,000 lbs in fwd minivans and found them to be excellent ... my early 2000s Chrysler town and country was 3 times the tow vehicle of our 4x4 1997 pathfinder, due to a longer wheelbase and stiffer suspension in the van. FWD was not an issue. For that reason, even the newer Ford explorers make for a comfortable vehicle which would be quite doable as a daily, for towing, even with the 4 cylinder turbo.

I would not want to tow regularly with a sedan, unless it was a full-size. An accord, I wouldn’t want to put the rear suspension through that beating. If you found a crown Vic, it would do that all day long in comfort and style and simplicity of a RWD platform the way it was meant to be.

i would shy away from short wheelbase vehicles if you tow over any distance with any regularity. The wheelbase means so much for stability.

I towed some with a couple of keep grand Cherokee’s, though neither as long as a vehicle trailer. Solid rear axle means for better towing, in the older ones. At the weight of your trailer, any of the GCs would be fine, if you like the vehicle itself. I think the v6 pentastar is a great motor.

if you like the Saab and can handle European ownership, you might consider some of the Volvo suvs, though there’s some concern that the I6 is more engine than the transverse transmission can handle, opinions seem to vary, from guaranteed to fail, to original at 250k miles....
Yes, that will be a real bummer. I have had a 9-5 as my daily driver for 21 years now. Flat land towing was fine, climbing the hills in North Central PA on two lane twisty roads was no fun. Manually shifting down and dropping speed to keep RPM's under 3500 and temp gage in middle of the scale.

I will only be towing it long distance a couple times per year. Yes, the general consensus seems to be the 2.0 liter Volvo engine is under powered for their larger SUV's, they need a bigger engine for their largest vehicles.

Below are two photos of the Formula Car on my 12 foot trailer, and one of the car with my Viggen 'vert at my work space. Car not yet restored in these photos.

Attachments

• on the trailer headed home.jpg
    on the trailer headed home.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Tow vehicle and Quantum.jpg
    Tow vehicle and Quantum.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 45440.jpg
    45440.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Ok, I’m going to go out on a limb here... 21 years driving a 9-5, unless you are ready for a total change, a lot of these offerings are outside of your preferred daily driver. i don’t know the capacities, but consider a used Lexus LS.... these are rear wheel drive vehicles with a 4.7 v8 up front. Provided they can accept a hitch on the back, it would be a solid, heavy platform, stable enough for the load, and a very nice commuter car during the week.

or are you keeping the 9-5 for daily use and just looking for a tow vehicle? I had a 2008 grand Cherokee with the base 3.7 v6 and the same above mentioned wr580 (or nag1) transmission. While the shorter wheelbase isn’t great for towing, i pulled similar loads with it and it was fine. And grand Cherokee ownership, while not Honda-reliable, is probably easier than saab ownership.

Ok, I’m going to go out on a limb here... 21 years driving a 9-5, unless you are ready for a total change, a lot of these offerings are outside of your preferred daily driver. i don’t know the capacities, but consider a used Lexus LS.... these are rear wheel drive vehicles with a 4.7 v8 up front. Provided they can accept a hitch on the back, it would be a solid, heavy platform, stable enough for the load, and a very nice commuter car during the week.

or are you keeping the 9-5 for daily use and just looking for a tow vehicle? I had a 2008 grand Cherokee with the base 3.7 v6 and the same above mentioned wr580 (or nag1) transmission. While the shorter wheelbase isn’t great for towing, i pulled similar loads with it and it was fine. And grand Cherokee ownership, while not Honda-reliable, is probably easier than saab ownership.
225K miles on the current 9-5. I need to replace it with something. I prefer to buy used low mileage vehicles as they are half the cost of new, and I own for a long time. The 21 years of 9-5 ownership is only two cars. I put 318K miles on the first one. Service and parts availability is a concern too. No problems yet being a SAAB owner but I don't have my head in the sand re: these issues for the future.
I love the Genesis cars but closest dealer is 30 miles away! Not many used ones yet either.

A really nice and well regarded vehicle is Subaru Outback that fits the bill. I believe 2700 lb capacity at least.

It can be better then a 2wd pickup if the towing involves boats/ramps.

@MI-Roger, Can you give us some more to work with? Most vehicles will tow 2k lbs. Is there a certain vehicle type that you would like to stick with (car, suv, truck)? Do you have a general budget that you would like to stay within. Any preferences towards brand, aside from Saab. (I love pre-GM Saab's, btw)
Do you have a list of vehicles already on your short list?

Back