Recommendation for Subaru Outback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: harrydog
I know for a fact that the A/S tires available today are more than adequate for the vast majority of drivers out there. There may be a bit of a trade off, but it isn't nearly as much as you're trying to make us believe.

Now that's a ridiculous statement! Do even know what a fact means?? It means it is true. Ok then, show me some real unbiased tests that prove your "fact"? You just generalising everybody. Well I've seen way too many stuck cars and way many in the ditches. Last winter alone we had more than 200 accidents. What does that tell you? A/S still good for everybody. I don't think so! If you can't prove your statements then you just talking the talk. And no there is "A LOT OF TRADE OFF" not "A BIT". You appear not knowing what are you talking about. If you drive like a grandma on dry and sit home when it seriously snows that doesn't mean all season tires are more than adequate. Come to any state with real winter and see for yourself.

Which ones A/S exactly would outperform winter tires? Links on some tests please?

No ads for A/S tires? Open Car and Driver for once:)

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I'm happy with them. Guess I'm lucky.

No, Bill, you're not lucky. Regardless of what some think, you and a lot of us know that all-season tires have come a long way from where they used to be. Of course they're still a compromise, but the delta between true winter tires and all-season tires has closed dramatically. There will still be folks who tell us we're wrong, though.

A buddy of mine lives in New Hampshire. He used to run winter tires, but quit doing so when the TripleTreds came out in the 2002-2003 time frame. He said the TripleTreds' grip and general snow traction was on-par with the winter tires he had, and didn't see the need for a dedicated set of winter tires. Another friend of mine lives in Wisconsin, and RAVES about the Cooper CS4. He said that they have VERY good winter traction in his opinion, and is better than the Michelin X-Ices that he used to use during the winter. He sold the X-Ices and now uses the Coopers year-round.

There will always be doubters. I know that's a new concept here at BITOG, but we'll muddle through.
wink.gif

I seriously doubt you know what the [censored] you talking about. Which is the case with most all season tire users. My "buddy" said this, my another "buddy" said that and all my "buddies" on TireRack confirmed it. In the end every"buddy" is in the friggin ditch. Are you [censored] kidding me??!You can't be serious! My buddy said he seeing aliens:) Yeah that must be true! North Carolina eh? Yeah I'm sure you get some killer blizzards there.

Just like a human faucet you pour words that have no true meaning. It's a very simple test. Go where it really snows and try 2 cars one with winter tires and one with A/S tires of your choice. That's it.

Originally Posted By: oilnoob425
Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
I'm happy with them. Guess I'm lucky.

No, Bill, you're not lucky. Regardless of what some think, you and a lot of us know that all-season tires have come a long way from where they used to be. Of course they're still a compromise, but the delta between true winter tires and all-season tires has closed dramatically. There will still be folks who tell us we're wrong, though.

A buddy of mine lives in New Hampshire. He used to run winter tires, but quit doing so when the TripleTreds came out in the 2002-2003 time frame. He said the TripleTreds' grip and general snow traction was on-par with the winter tires he had, and didn't see the need for a dedicated set of winter tires. Another friend of mine lives in Wisconsin, and RAVES about the Cooper CS4. He said that they have VERY good winter traction in his opinion, and is better than the Michelin X-Ices that he used to use during the winter. He sold the X-Ices and now uses the Coopers year-round.

There will always be doubters. I know that's a new concept here at BITOG, but we'll muddle through.
wink.gif

I seriously doubt you know what the [censored] you talking about. Which is the case with most all season tire users. My "buddy" said this, my another "buddy" said that and all my "buddies" on TireRack confirmed it. In the end every"body" is in the friggin ditch. Are you [censored] kidding me??!You can't be serious! My buddy said he seeing aliens:) Yeah that must be true! North Carolina eh? Yeah I'm sure you get some killer blizzards there.

Just like a human faucet you pour words that have no true meaning. It's a very simple test. Go where it really snows and try 2 cars one with winter tires and one with A/S tires of your choice. That's it.

Oilnoob, are you related to lazaro?

happy2.gif

Last edited:
Noobie, I was born in Rhode Island, where it DOES snow. All the rest of my family lives in Michigan. You assume that because I live in a southern state now that I must not have experience with winter weather. You know what they say about assuming...but this time, you can take the "and me" out of the phrase.

I know what snow is, but I genuinely appreciate your concern for my well being.

Not everything in this world revolves around you, you know. I was talking to Bill when I said how much my friend likes his TripleTreds in the snow. And I was talking to harrydog when I mentioned the Cooper CS4 Touring, because he was looking for feedback on it. If you want to cast my comments upon your humble point of view, that's up to you.

By the way, Lazaro is a troll who believes that anyone who disagrees with him must not know what they're talking about, simply because their opinion and experiences differ from his. Your resemblance is uncanny. But go on doubting, filling your posts with inappropriate words and reckoning that none of us knows what we're talking about. Some people enjoy living in a cone of negativity. Most of us do not.

Good day my friend.

I don't care who you talked too I seen some B S and I commented on it, it's called freedom of speech. I'm not a negative person but when I see some ridiculosly obvious B S I do tend to react negatively. And don't be all offended by "innapropriate words" while at the same time you calling somebody noobie and troll. That makes you a hypocrite.

You were BORN in snowy state? I'm sure you had fun making a snowman. People in Africa also know about snow, that doesn't mean anything. When was the last time you drove through unplowed parking lot in your marvelous A/S tires??

Originally Posted By: harrydog
A/S tires can not improve? That's simply a ridiculous statement. They're improving all the time. Some of the current A/S will outperform a dedicated winter tire from years ago. That's improvement. And it will continue to improve. Just like multi-weight oils have dramatically improved due to advances in base stocks, etc., advances in tire compounds are leading to improved performance in all conditions.

No matter how much you improve the chemical formula of the compound it simply cannot change its properties from one season to another season; Same goes for tread pattern. That's why I said you can't improve the A/S TIRE! Yes you can improve thread design and compound formula for seasonal tire to tweak their properties from one side to another but combine it all in one single tire for all conditions is simply not going to work due to the fact that it is immposible to defy laws of physics and chemistry. In short it's too much work. It's like trying to combine pizza and ice cream.

And yes You do appear to be brainwashed by advertising, as millions of others. Advertising companies aren't getting their pay for nothing. All this "advance technology" gibberish is taken straight out of tire ads in magazines. They just throwing bunch of generic pseudo-technical terms in there to confuse regular consumer, but regardless of fancy terms this is just fighting simple logic and common sense. There are no miracles.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
^^^^^ It's a real shame that this site doesn't have an "ignore" function...

yes it is. some sheeple just can't take all the "offense".

And don't be all offended by "innapropriate words" while at the same time you calling somebody noobie and troll. That makes you a hypocrite.

Excuse me, but YOU called yourself a "noobie", in your user name. I just addressed you by the name you gave yourself.

When was the last time you drove through unplowed parking lot in your marvelous A/S tires??

Well, I don't recall the EXACT date, but it must have been about March 2008, the last time it snowed in southwest Virginia. You see, my wife's family lives there. And I went to school there. We got snow there as well. You'll forgive me if I don't recall the exact date and time. Tires were Michelin X Radials, by the way, very much all season tires.

It does. Click on the users name to the left, view profile than on the bottom it will allow you to ignore them.

Works well.
01.gif

Bill

It does. Click on the users name to the left, view profile than on the bottom it will allow you to ignore them.

Works well.
01.gif

Bill

Sweeeeeeet!!!

Thanks Bill!

I almost gave up entirely on getting involved in this debate after being beaten over the head on the subject by guys who demand ONLY the best tire for a given circumstance.

Well, I don't feel like typing this out, but I will. I really don't feel like rehashing the points afterwards, so I won't be responding, at all.

Sooo, on a small point, let's imaging the performance graph of a basic all-season tire of 15 years ago (Turanza RE 92). On the one axis you have ride vs handling and on the other axis you have grip vs wear. Ok, so that graph makes some sort of circular shape. Now, take a nice modern tire with advanced compounding and computer design, like a...ohh... Eagle F1 A/S. That circle will be bigger- better in ALL aspects, ALL direction. So, yeah... tires get better as the technology advances.

On a bigger point, these guys who want ONLY the BEST tire for the job and insist on seperate summer and winter tires...hah! MANY instances all-seasons are better. How about cold-wet-dusting of snow? Do we need a full snow for that? We know a summer tire won't work. The answer is all-seasons. Think you have a good comeback for that? The ultimate joke there is that not onlythe next day can the weather be bright and warm, the same day, the same freaking trip, the weather changes!

I mean, not even funny guys. if you want the BEST, you better pull a trailer full of tires. Deep snows to make it out of the driveway. All-seasons for the plowed 10 miles on the secondary roads and summer/track/R-compound for when you hit the already dry highway.

Gimme a break. Before you knock all-seasons try some Conti Extremes. I've used every decent all-seasons tire and still not found one as crazy good in snow as these. I would absolutely put my circut time on these tires against any snows set-up on MY DRIVING cycle.

I'm with Audi on this one with the following caveats...

Snow tires are very useful on older non-fancy RWD cars without traction control/ABS etc. They make getting through winter a lot easier.

Most All-Seasons (Turanza class plain all-seasons) are terrible in every way, sometimes even noise and comfort too. They're cheap, worthless, and only sometimes round.

A properly selected performance all-season, like the continentals audi described, will be satisfactory the majority of the time even in sporty driving conditions. They will wear longer than a snow tire, and work better most of the year.

One must consider the vehicle type, possible road conditions, and risk acceptance when they consider tires. For me and my subaru in PA with the possible winter trip to WI to visit relatives and no place in my apartment to store snow tires (on a student budget), I choose the best snow capable "ultra high performance" all-season that I can get my hands on for the money.

Hope it helps. And yes, most people think the tripletred is a good tire and it probably is if you need a basic all-season with better than average capabilities.

I'm sorry that this thread has deteriorated into a debate over A/S tires vs. dedicated summer & winter tires. Actually it's just one person causing that and most of what he has said is wrong. But I'm done responding to his posts. He can start his own thread if he wants to debate this. You see, I DON'T WANT two sets of tires for my car.
Most everyone else has given me great feedback and I appreciate it. I'm still undecided on what tires I'll buy but I have narrowed it down.

Once again, oil"NOOB"............proving his name. Should be "tirenoob".

This is the same guy that tried to prove to all of us that sunlight doesn't increase tire pressure.

I live in CO and have to deal with 2 foot blizzards on a regular basis, and myself or any of my family members have not had problems with quality all season tires that are inflated properly and have sufficient tread. That is one thing that will get you, even with a snow tire. Sure, it may be at 5/32 and not to the wear bars, and ol Abe's head is still covered a bit by the tread, but snow performance is going to be drastically decreased over a new tire. Discount let me go with the tread wear warranty at 5/32 on my Comfortreads since the snow performance had become dangerous.

The BFGoodrich Precept touring all season tires I have on my car have now have more siping (full depth wide siping) than some snow tires, and they remain plenty pliable in cold weather. I've had no trouble on ice.

Now, obviously, a full on dedicated snow tire is going to be better, especially on ice when braking, but a Subaru Outback with AWD and a quality all season tire like the Triple tread is likely going to do better in a blizzard then my Corolla with Blizzak WS-60s!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
If you're still shopping/reviewing, have you thought about Nokians?

Yes I have thought about Nokians. I'm very interested in the WRG2. I've heard nothing but good things about them with the possible exception of tread life. I'm not sure how long they will last if they're kept on year round. I'm looking to get a minimum of 40K miles out of the tires I end up getting and I'm not sure the Nokians will give me that. I need to check to see what the cost is for my size (225/55-17) and then decide. They're definitely on my short list.
Have you had any experience with them?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
........Now, obviously, a full on dedicated snow tire is going to be better, especially on ice when braking, but a Subaru Outback with AWD and a quality all season tire like the Triple tread is likely going to do better in a blizzard then my Corolla with Blizzak WS-60s!

Under acceleration on ice/snow, the Outback may perform better than your Corolla, but under braking and cornering, where AWD offers no performance advantage, your Corolla with the WS60s will perform better than the Outback with all seasons.

Tirerack tested the above scenario and found that:
"..................we found it interesting that the all-wheel drive Porsche Cayenne equipped with all-season tires was only able to accelerate about as quickly as the rear-wheel drive BMW on the dedicated winter tires (WS60) used in Part 1 of this
test...."

"......The winter tire-equipped Cayenne stopped in an average distance of about 61 feet, while the all-season tire-equipped Cayenne took 102 feet (an additional 41 feet or about two and one-half car lengths). A 41-foot difference in stopping distance during a panic stop at 30 mph on a snow-packed road is more than enough to determine whether it's a near miss or an accident!......."

"..........Additionally, while the all-wheel drive Cayenne offered noticeably faster acceleration than the rear-wheel drive sedan, the winter tire-equipped BMW's 59-foot stopping distance and all-season tire-equipped 89-foot stopping distance showed that all-wheel drive didn't really offer a measurable advantage when it came to stopping......."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Once again, oil"NOOB"............proving his name. Should be "tirenoob".

This is the same guy that tried to prove to all of us that sunlight doesn't increase tire pressure.

I live in CO and have to deal with 2 foot blizzards on a regular basis, and myself or any of my family members have not had problems with quality all season tires that are inflated properly and have sufficient tread. That is one thing that will get you, even with a snow tire. Sure, it may be at 5/32 and not to the wear bars, and ol Abe's head is still covered a bit by the tread, but snow performance is going to be drastically decreased over a new tire. Discount let me go with the tread wear warranty at 5/32 on my Comfortreads since the snow performance had become dangerous.

The BFGoodrich Precept touring all season tires I have on my car have now have more siping (full depth wide siping) than some snow tires, and they remain plenty pliable in cold weather. I've had no trouble on ice.

Now, obviously, a full on dedicated snow tire is going to be better, especially on ice when braking, but a Subaru Outback with AWD and a quality all season tire like the Triple tread is likely going to do better in a blizzard then my Corolla with Blizzak WS-60s!

As far as I'm concerned you shouldn't even be here. You should be playing with other kiddies in the sandbox. If you don't understand even simple obvious things then you are not just stubborn you are effin stupid. Same people say all this stuff about how their all seasons are great and then same dumb asses getting into accidents later on. Why do you think insurance is so expensive on Subarus? It's because people like you thinking a/s tires are good enough and AWD will bail them out. Internet is full of stories about these clowns. Everybody who thinks A/S are sufficient is plain wrong and ignorant. Now go take a hike kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back