Tires: General vs Goodyear vs Pirelli ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Do you find the RT43s as smooth & quiet as the Primacy MXV4s?

I noticed no difference in ride quality and quietness between the two. Satisfied/like them both, as noted the RT43 significantly less cost. I should add, YMMV.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Do you find the RT43s as smooth & quiet as the Primacy MXV4s?

I noticed no difference in ride quality and quietness between the two. Satisfied/like them both, as noted the RT43 significantly less cost. I should add, YMMV.

I bought the RT43s(due to their price) for my wife's RX300 ~ yr&1/2 prior to selling it. The RT43s replaced the G/Y AssComTrd(a fine tire) and I had similar opinion about the RT's as you. I could hear the RT's just a tiny bit compared to the G/Y's but, the RT's were not loud by any means and had slightly better bump/poor road absorption than the G/Y's did even when the G/Y were new.

I currently have Primacy MXV4's on my '15 Altima and when the time comes, I want a replacement tire for them that are as smooth & quiet as these Michelin. I don't think the RT43 will be quite the tire for the job however the P7 may get the job. I mean, I would like to have the MXV4s again but their grossly overpriced.

I figure I should add into this (2015 Focus sedan, 205/50r17, tires rotated every oil change ~5000 miles, always made sure tire pressure was at the factory 36PSI, 95% highway):

I currently have the RT43s on about 4000 miles now (had them on for about a month.) They're very soft and smooth, in fact so soft that I notice the time from when I turn the steering to when my car actually starts turning. They're about 3 pounds lighter per tire than my previous set, the Sumitomo AS P02 (see paragraph below.) Dry performance minus the soft sidewall is good for a daily driver, wet performance is amazing - 80mph in the pouring rain with no noticeable hydroplaning, but haven't tried them in the snow since I have a second set of wheels for winter. If I recall correctly, General Tires is Continental's budget brand but don't quote me on that.

Before the RT43s, I had the Sumitomo AS PO2 which performed really well for their price (~$70/tire.) They performed really well in the snow as long as you weren't fooling around and the dry/wet performance was on par with tires that costed twice as much. I got about 60K miles out of the set but I had issues with the middle wearing down a lot more than the outside tread which looked brand new. I've heard similar issues with these tires but I wasn't mad considering the miles I got out of the tire. NVH when wearing down was worse than most all season tires at comparable tread depth.

Back when I worked for BMW, there were a lot of their 328s and 528s on the Pirelli P4s. They were a great tire, comfy, decent life, and good grip in all types of conditions but they always seemed to wear towards the middle unnaturally more versus the outside. They basically felt like the Michelin MXV4s in every way. Honestly not worth the price to me, but they're pretty much the king of everything all-season if you want to drop the cash on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back