I've Narrowed it Down to 4 Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2017 Fusion with AWD with almost 45k on the OE Eagle LS2's. I didn't like them stock tires at all so I am switching it up. I've done my research and I've narrowed it down to 4. I am in the Chicago area so snow and cold temps are a concern. If I had the space I would buy a set off snow wheels and tires but I just don't right now. I really want a touring tire than handles decent, quiet, and can handle the snow somewhat respectably. Any thoughts and opinions on these? Thanks!

1. Firestone WeatherGrip
2. General Altimax RT43
3. Yokohama Avid Ascend GT
4. Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady

Last edited:
Of those I would say the General Altimax RT43 first with the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT right behind them.

The RT43 handles light snow well but can get loud if not rotated properly. Have these on my MiLs car and several customers have them also.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99

I am in the Chicago area so snow and cold temps are a concern ...

The ALL WEATHER tires will be better in extreme winter conditions, period. The Firestone Weathergrip actually LOOKS like a pure winter tire ...

Have the RT43's on two of our cars, and like them. Really good on slush or standing water and light snow, o.k. but not great on ice (after all, they're not a full winter tire). Good so far for road noise, with about 15000 miles on the Honda's set.

Did you consider the Continental TrueContact Tour? The TrueContact has been a good enough tire that I've put it on 3 successive vehicles, and now they released an upgraded version. They've been really good tires, had them on a 2011 Fusion (70k miles on them when sold), 2006 Odyssey (35k+ so far), and 2007 Impala (~7k miles so far). I'm getting ready to put a set of the Tours on my 2005 Outback.

If you're stuck on those 4, I had the RT43 and they were decent, if lacking a little in wet acceleration traction. I read those Yokos are pretty darn good in the wet but never owned them.

I've had excellent results with the V rated RT 43 on an Accord. So, I'd buy those again. However, depending on total price and rebate available, I'd definitely keep the Yoko and the WeatherReady in the mix for consideration. In other words, I wouldn't rule them out. Not sure that helps you much. Perhaps in Ill and snow, the WeatherReady might be the better choice. Snow not a significant factor here.

What size are on your Fusion? My mom's 2014 Fusion is going to need tires soon and I don't really want to go with the factory Continental ContiProContacts again. I was thinking the Michelin MXM4 since it keeps the same 96V speed and load index.

Buy one of each and see which one you like the most???
lol.gif

General Altimax RT43, unless you put more emphasis on snow traction then I'd go with the Goodyear or Firestone.
I had a '06 Fusion for twelve years and while I had a spare set of steelies with snow tires, there were years I didn't even put them on - snows tires are not fun on dry pavement.

I have a dedicated set on the SE come New years. General Arctics. I don't know what the LE has , they hold air and don't ride badly. I'm retired. I 'd just as soon stay home and feed the stove anyway .
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Did you consider the Continental TrueContact Tour? .

RT43 is a favorite tire of BITOG, at the same time, I checked ratings on Tire Rack and Continental TrueContact Tour and Goodyear Assurance MaxLife are better rated than RT43. There is not much of a price difference if I remember correctly.

What is the price difference between those tires? And how much of a factor is price?
smile.gif

Out of those 4, my top choice would be the Weatherready. Not a fan of Firestone or directional tires. If snow is a concern, and you're not using dedicated winter tires, at least get something a 3-peak all-season.

Yokohama has quiet ride and long life, in your case since winter is your concern look for Yokohama Avid Ascent LX all season tires.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by jcartwright99

I am in the Chicago area so snow and cold temps are a concern ...

The ALL WEATHER tires will be better in extreme winter conditions, period. The Firestone Weathergrip actually LOOKS like a pure winter tire ...

That's what I got "All Weathers" no more problems with tire changing etc and that's what I too would advise him to get, unless he drives more than 15K miles a year or goes where there is very deep snow. My neighbours went to Quebec in the dead of winter with all weather and never had any problems.

If the GY Assurance Weathereadys are anything like the Assurance Tripletreds they replaced, they would be a good tire in reasonable amounts of snow. Any heavier, studless snows would be required (studs are illegal in IL).

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Out of those 4, and considering it is the unofficial official default tire of BITOG, I would go with the General.

01.gif
+1000%

but Personally, I'd still go with Coopers.
My apologies to the site owners for borrowing your graphics, ditto to General tire. also to any graphics designers who may cringe at my creation... all i have to work with is MSpaint..

Unofficial tire.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back