General altimax rt43 vs douglas 195/70r14

Had the RT43 on my wife's '01 Lexus RX300/AWD(225-70-16) prior to selling it to her sister(my SIL) 5 yrs ago/60K ago.
Currently have the RT43 on the '15 Civic(195-65-15) in my sig w/8K on them and doing well thus far.
My other SIL currently has them on her '14 GMC Terrain 2.4L/4cyl/AWD(235-60-17) with no complaints.

Though I am not a fan of the Douglas tires or any private label tire(based on much experience), if you only drive the car a few thousand miles a year on good days, it's kind of hard to pass up $37/tires. I mean, where inexpensive/private label tires can often show their true colors is in the foul weather and the long haul/longevity.

I always liked cheap tires for(maybe) the first 10K-15K miles. Then they all seemed to become junk quickly after that and became complete rubbish by 25K.

In my experience, inexpensive private label tires wear differently on all 4 tires even when properly rotated and a good alignment, start to radial pull, and feel like I am driving on ice in the rain in JULY.

Last edited:
The Douglas don't look all that bad for the price . Have some deep sipes and decent tread pattern .

I bought my son a 2013 Jetta that had brand new Altimax tires last fall. They are pretty good and seem to be wearing well 6 months in. I had not had them before so I looked through a lot of reviews on Tirerack and they were mostly saying the same thing... good tire, but remember that it is a touring tire, so it is kind of a jack of all trades and not super sporty. I’d say that has been our experience so far.

Our 2014 Focus currently has Douglas Performance tires on them. Not sure if they still make those, but no complaints about them so far. IIRC, we have 12,000 miles on them so far and no issues. Noise is above average but what do you expect... again, wearing well...

I have had both on our Corolla (currently douglas) we got about 40,000 miles out of the generals. Personally I think the Douglas tires are a great buy especially if you have a dedicated set of separate winter tires.

Thanks for the input. I will probably go with the altimax. I keep reading about douglas tires having a thin sidewall that seems to have issues.

I just bought the rt43 on tire rack. I have been wanting to try them for years and figure the extra money is worth it for the safety even though the tires are going to age out.

Thanks for the input. I will probably go with the altimax. I keep reading about douglas tires having a thin sidewall that seems to have issues.
I seriously doubt the douglas tires have a thin sidewall, these tires are sold at every walmart service center and I've actually seen mostly positive reviews.

I had the Generals in a Toyota Camry. I found the noise they made literally grating compared to whatever I had on the car prior. I had to replace the tires it had at about 60% tread left because I managed to drive through someone's dropped box of nails and lost two tires. I used that car for road trips from Atlanta to Charlotte every other week for work (I don't fly if the drive is 6 or less hours if I can help it) and that noise... ug.

But, they were excellent handling tires and if you have a car with a little more road noise sound deadening up front, I'd get them.

The Douglas tires can be made in the USA by Neil Degrass Tyson for all I care... they aren't going to be as good as the Generals. No way.

I seriously doubt the douglas tires have a thin sidewall, these tires are sold at every walmart service center and I've actually seen mostly positive reviews.
My father in law had two blow out, both on the inner sidewall. I have a set on my Hyundai and they're the only tire I've ever had de-bead after going flat from a leak.

you are right, the douglas and general probably have the same ply and thickness sidewall. I meant that the tire failures i saw online seemed to be on the sidewall a lot of the time. While im sure its mostly from people hitting curbs or potholes i do have a set of douglas tires on another car and the sidewalls are very pliable.

I had the Generals in a Toyota Camry. I found the noise they made literally grating compared to whatever I had on the car prior. I had to replace the tires it had at about 60% tread left because I managed to drive through someone's dropped box of nails and lost two tires. I used that car for road trips from Atlanta to Charlotte every other week for work (I don't fly if the drive is 6 or less hours if I can help it) and that noise... ug.

But, they were excellent handling tires and if you have a car with a little more road noise sound deadening up front, I'd get them.

The Douglas tires can be made in the USA by Neil Degrass Tyson for all I care... they aren't going to be as good as the Generals. No way.
Usually i care about tire noise but this car has a fairly loud diesel engine so im less concerned about the noise possibility.

I had Douglas tires from Walmart on a Corolla we used to have. They handled well, rode nice, weren't loud... Within less than six months two of them had rather large balloons on the sidewalls, prompting road hazard warranty claims. They blamed potholes but I tend to believe the internet chatter that Douglas tires are prone to this. I've hever had this happen on any other brand of tire I have used.

Are you actually thinking between RT43 and anything else? RT43 compound is probably used in Pfizer vaccines. It is answer to everything that bothers you :)
On bit more serious note, RT43 if going between those two.

Back