Pirelli P4 Tire Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tire size: 205-65 16 "T" rated(Could use 215-60-16 or 225-60-16)
Rim size and construction: 16 x 6.5 steel wheel
Vehicle: 04 Nissan Altima 2.5 S
Factory installed: Continental ContiTouringContact
These Pirelli P4's are rated for about 75-80000 miles.
In the summer Im using 225-55-17 GoodYear Eagle LS on aluminum wheels.

When I first received the Pirelli P4's in Oct 08 from Discount Tire Direct($300.00 shipped to my door), the first thing that I noticed after getting them off of the UPS truck was how narrow the tires were compared to the Continental's that I was replacing. Then the Pirelli's sat in my garage for about 2 weeks prior to taking them over to Super Wal*Mart for their $11.00 + tax($11.88 per tire) installation. 47.52 OTD for mounting, balancing, valve stems and tire disposal. Nothing extra was purchaced for the tires at W*M such as Life Time Balance/Rotation.

The tires apparance meant very little to me since I did a great deal of research on tires to fit my needs. I was looking for an All Season Tires that perform well in snow, slush, heavy rain and ice as well as in other areas such as cornering and straight line tracking on the highway with some reasonably amount of quiet and ride quality. The Pirelli P4's scored high in all catigories. And I must say the the Pirelli P4's have performed admirably, about as good as any tire that I have owned and I've had some pretty good tires. Had alot of junk too!

The tires narrow appearance is just that! After checking the specs on other these and other tires in 205-65-16, I notices that the other tires in this size measured a bit taller and wider than the Pirelli P4's but the Pirelli's out weighed them all by about 3lbs per tire. Yes, this is a dence tire!

Throughout the winter here in the northeast the Pirelli's went thourgh deep snow, heavy slush and wet roads with out any complaints. They have transformed my Altima into a much better vehicle in the foul weather where the Continental's have failed. The torquey 2.5 4 cylinder in the Altima would spin the Continental's even on dry roads while making a left turn while crossing traffic or even on a WOT rolling start. The Pirelli's have reduced this tire spinning in almost all conditions unless I want them to spin by stomping on the gas pedal.

I can only mention how many unplowed or poorly plowed Mall Parking Lots I have drove into during the Christmas Holidays and the Pierlli's took me there and then home again where other tires would have certainly failed. During a recent rain storm(heavy down pour)...(we've had a bit of warmer temps) the Pirelli's didn't even notice the heavy puddles of water and run off from the melting snow mountains left by the snow plows. Even at highway speeds, the water seemed non-existant. My wife and daughter both mentioned the great difference with these tires and how well the car handled the snow and ice.

I don't want to talk too much on dry cornering or breaking with the Pirelli's because the Altima does very well in both of these conditions all on it's own. The Pirelli's just make the car better in these areas is all I will say. I not sure where the limits are with the Pirelli's, all I know is that I reached the limits all too easy in the Continental ContiTouringConcrap's and even the GoodYear Eagle LS's that I use for summer tires squeel/spin on takeoff more than the Pirelli P4's.

Now for a little RANTING!
Although the tires are not loud, they can become noisier on certain pavement conditions than the Continental's or the GoodYear's and can also pound a bit hard on broken pavement or the tar strips/expansion joints on the highway regardless of the tire pressure. I keep within the factory psi spec for the tires but have experimented a bit with a little more here or a little less there. But, that it! I love these tires.

Any questions on anything that I may have missed, please ask and I will respond with what I have experienced.

Very good review, no wonder P4 is at the top of standard touring all-season tires review on Tirerack.

I don't need tires right now, I'll need 225/60-16 for '94 LS400 next year. According to Tirerack, the price of P4 is $27 more than Yokohama AVID Touring-S at $99 vs $72. I had the old version Yokohama AVID Touring some years ago, everything was good except tread life lasted less than 35k miles. By the time I need tires for LS400 and if the price difference is less than $20 each, I'll try P4.

Thanks for details review.

HTSS,
The Avid TRZ's were at the top of my list as well. I went for final pricing with the P4's due to all of my vehicles needing tires right now. I wanted a great tire for the best price. My wifes RX-300(GoodYear Assurance Comfort Treads) and our '80 Firebird FORMULA V8(undecided yet). Will narrow down tires for this car in the spring. It's just for cruising! I'll be going for a period correct look anyway(RWL).

I have had a set of P4's on my Buick LeSabre for about 26k miles now, and they have performed admirably in every condition I've thrown at them. Very good treadwear, and the grip is still as good as the day they went onto the car.

I'd say these are a 50k tire if you drive nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back