Recommendation for Subaru Outback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the tires on my '06 Outback. I have a few possibilities in mind and would like to hear the thoughts of others.
I want A/S tires that are great in the rain and decent in the snow. I tend to drive fairly fast but with the suspension on the Outback I'm not exactly carving corners.
Long tread life would be nice as would good ride comfort.
Here are the possibilities I've come up with so far, in no particular order. I've also listed the price per tire from Tire Rack.

1) Pirelli P4 Four Seasons $105
2) General Altimax HP $104
3) General Altimax RT $95
4) Yokohama Avid TRZ $97
5) Michelin HydroEdge $143
6) Goodyear TripleTread $128

TripleTreads seem to be well liked among Subaru Outback owners but I've heard they sometimes have some balancing problems and they tend to increase fuel consumption.

The HydroEdge rarely gets mentioned in any of the forums I frequent but I've had two sets of them on my wife's Sienna and they're great in the wet and they last a long time. I'm not really sure how well they handle since we never drive the Sienna in a manner to find out.

I've heard good things about the Generals here in this forum.

I've also heard good things about the Avid TRZ.

Any suggestions? Any other tires that I should consider?

By the way, the Altimax HP and the TripleTread are the only two H rated tires. The others are T rated. All things being equal, I'd prefer H rated, but it probably isn't absolutely necessary.

Avid TRZ out of the list. I would also look at H and V rated tires to increase handling a bit with reduced sidewall flex. These vehicles have body roll as is and need a good tire to compensate.

+1 on the Avid TRZ. This is the first Yokohama tire I've ever had, but it probably will not be my last. It really transformed the drive on my Toyota Corolla.

I've got the triple treads and VERY impressed with the wet/snow on these.

Very good all the other times. 10k on them and a year still like them.

MPG over a 2k trip this summer (and the Outback was loaded going 80mph) was over 28mpg. Best with the tires so far has been 31mpg. We average around 26mpg around town (super short trips).

No balance issues. You do have to rotate them front to back since they are directional tires.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I've got the triple treads and VERY impressed with the wet/snow on these.

Very good all the other times. 10k on them and a year still like them.

MPG over a 2k trip this summer (and the Outback was loaded going 80mph) was over 28mpg. Best with the tires so far has been 31mpg. We average around 26mpg around town (super short trips).

No balance issues. You do have to rotate them front to back since they are directional tires.

Take care, bill

I've heard other positives about the triple treads as well. I posted in another thread about a co-worker with similar experience.

They seem to wear REALLY well, but offer great handling. By the sounds of it, they stayed fairly quiet through the life of the tire.

Anyone have the Yokohamas long enough to wear them out? How long did they last?

Why not a more performance oriented tire like a Bridgestone G019 Grid, or perhaps a Continental Contiextremecontact? I think you'll do much better with those over any of the above for less money.

That said, I would try the Tripletred out of that list if I tried anything.

I got good life out of the TRZs. Hard to quantify because we alternate with another mounted set. Also, it's on our 4000lb CRV on twisty roads at speed. For an Outback, they are near ideal. If you get the Altimax, get the RT for the same reason I say to get the TRZ, you will be dissapointed with a tire that wear too fast. I am trying the HPs this winter w/high hopes. Do you want to post some more choices? I am partial to the high end Goodyears. Eagle Response or Eagle GT is worth a few extra $.

fwiw, TRZ is GREAT in rain.

I have triple treads on an 02 bravada, which have been very good all weather tires for me. I also recently put on the General Altimax HPs on an 02 530i BMW and I really like those, but I can't say anything about the winter traction, though I expect them to be solid. I've had very good luck with Yokos in the past and the TRZs get good reviews. All three IMO, are solid tires.

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 looks like an ideal tire for my application and the ratings at Tire Rack are outstanding. Price is the only issue. Do I really want to spend $750+ mounted and balanced as opposed to about $500 for the Yokohamas...?
H rated versus T rated. AA temp rating versus AB.

Originally Posted By: harrydog
The Michelin Primacy MXV4 looks like an ideal tire for my application and the ratings at Tire Rack are outstanding. Price is the only issue. Do I really want to spend $750+ mounted and balanced as opposed to about $500 for the Yokohamas...?
H rated versus T rated. AA temp rating versus AB.

Well, if you want the very best....

Have you looked at Michelins at some place like Costco or Sam's...or even Sears? I know that the last set of Michelins that Sis put on her Outback came from Sears.

Last set of Michelins I bought came from Sam's.

Any suggestions? Any other tires that I should consider?

Yes, two proper sets of seasonal tires because with all-seasons you only fooling yourself.

I was in Costco yesterday but didn't think of looking at their tires. I'll check them out. I doubt they will be cheaper than Tire Rack but you never know.

I'm not fooling myself. I fully realize that there is no real substitute for dedicated summer and winter tires but I don't want that hassle and am willing to compromise. There are some excellent A/S tires out there these days. With advances in tread compounds and designs you can get decent snow performance and excellent dry/wet performance in a single tire if you choose carefully. That's why I'm deliberating so much over my choice.

Sprintman, I don't follow what you're saying.

I was in Costco yesterday but didn't think of looking at their tires. I'll check them out. I doubt they will be cheaper than Tire Rack but you never know.

I absolutely bet they will. I've looked at Tire Rack for the last three sets of tires I've bought, and I've never had the cost even break-even. In fact, I've often saved at least $100 buying locally. When you add the cost of shipping and installation, Tire Rack always prices itself out of consideration for me. I typically buy Michelins at Sam's Club, and Tire Rack can't come close.

My very last set of tires were Yokohama Avid TRZs. Although I bought them at cost through a friend, I also price-shopped. Merchant's Tire had them for $73.99 each, plus $10 each for installation, in my size (P195/65R15). Total cost = $336 plus local taxes like tire fees, etc. Tire Rack is $69.00 each. That's $276 for the tires, but I need to add $40.70 for the cheapest shipping method. I also need to add at least another $40 for installation. $276 + $80 = $356. I'm already higher than Merchant's Tire, and on top of that, I don't have a local face to talk to if I have an issue with a tire.

Of all the tires I've bought, or price-shopped for others, Tire Rack has always been more expensive, every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back