Help me pick between 3 touring tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't speak for the other tires, but +1 on the Arctic snows. They have performed very well all-around on my Grand Marquis. From reading the other comments it seems that General has a number of tires that do well.

Originally Posted By: Radman
Originally Posted By: stranger706
Those new Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads sure look nice.

I bought a couple of sets of the Goodyear Integrity's and had seperation issues on all 8 tires. That was the reason I tried the made in the USA Yokohama's.

Integrity's. Big difference. Compare oranges to oranges. You're throwing an apple into the mix here...

Most all season touring tires do not perform well in snow. The Hankook Optimo H727 and Continental ExtremeContact DWS are exceptions. The Hankook Optimo H727 only has a T speed rating (safe for sustained speeds up to 118mph) but most drivers would never consider driving their cars over 118mph on public roads.

For the record, General Tire is a subsidiary of Continental Tire.

Originally Posted By: novadude
Can't decide between these 3 tires. All are priced w/in $5 of each other (235/55R17), and all look pretty good.

BFG Advantage T/A H-rated
General Altimax HP H-rated
Yokahama AVID ENVigor H-rated

I run dedicated winter tires on a different set of wheels Nov-Mar in PA, so snow performance is not important. looking for long life and great 3-season performance on dry and wet roads. My driving is about 80% highway.

Which would you choose? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Novadude,
In your particular case, where you are using dedicated winter snows, and since all 3 tires that your asking about are very decent/respectable tires to say the least, I would be inclined to pick the tires that you think look the best(tread pattern/sidewall) on your vehicle and call it a day!

It's not a though your asking about 3 different speed ratings of tires or tires that we here at BOB's all know were junk for tires. These 3 tires your asking about are very decent and worthy of cosideration by many. I would say, reguardless of CR tire ratings or TR customer ratings etc, that it's a wash.

Do some research and see which of these 3 tires best fit your particular driving style/climate. One may do something a bit better than the others in an area that you find particularly important. Othewise, I'd buy the blue one!(GEICO advertisement)

Have the Gen Altimax HP's on daughter's 01 Civic currently with 46k on them. Should easily get 50k+, rated then at 55k. Been satisfied, a have found them very hydroplane resistant even in heavy rain. That said, prime reason for purchase, I got an outstanding deal on them at the time, $50 visa rebate and a free shipping/no tax quote for DT to match/beat.

The Yoko ENV's have been well recieved here, and if not for a promo on another tire would have been my choice for a V6 Accord. Can't comment on the BFG. As mentioned, check Tire Rack for a comparison. IIRC, the ENV's have a good treadwear spec.

Since it's been mentioned, I got ~68k on a set of Yoko Avid Touring (now S) on the same vehicle, and was very satisfied with the overall performance of the tire.

#1 in Tire Rack test.
Michelin Primacy MXV4(Grand Touring All-Season)
Great tires that I have on two vehicles.
But out of the 3,I'd go General.

Originally Posted By: Colt
#1 in Tire Rack test.
Michelin Primacy MXV4(Grand Touring All-Season)
Great tires that I have on two vehicles.
But out of the 3,I'd go General.

Oh yeah, Primaxy MXV4's are #1 on CR test too!
I am kinda curious as to the price difference between the 3 tires that novadude has asked about and the MXV4's? Or if the size is available?

Novadude, are you buying from a local tire dealer or online?

I use the general altimax artic snow tires in size 205/50/17 and they are a great winter tire, the only thing is they are very loud especially at 45-60 mph. I have general exclaim uhp in the same size, also loud not as loud but i am afraid they will soon be as loud. Because of the loudness I will not buy another general tire even though traction on both are outstanding in all weather, the exclaims are not as good as the altimax in the snow of course. As for your three choices I would choose the avid's as I have been considering them myself and tire rack gives them good reviews. I also saw someone mention the cooper cs4 touring tires, they look good also and I am considering them now as well.

I'd spend $20 more per tire and go with the Michelin Hydroedge w/ Green X or $70 more per tire and get the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred myself.

Treadlife would actually increase for you since you do a seasonal winter tire swap.

Your dry grip would be good and wet grip excellent.

I ended up getting the Advantage T/A because of the rebate Tirerack is running right now. Got them yesterday, still need to get them mounted. $460 + $47 shipping - $50 rebate. Should end up right around $500-$525 for a set of 4, since mouting / balancing will run ~$15 / tire.

For that price, I had to try them. Another set of triple tread Goodyears in a 235/55R17 would have ran around $800 installed.

If you have a Wal*Mart Service Center in your area that does tire installations, they're the cheapest that I know of(in my area anyway!) $12.00 per tire + tax...$52.00 out the door. They'll Install the new tires and toss your old tires, 1X balance(Lifetime balance is $7.50 ea.) With the lifetime balance, they'll also rotate the tires each time.

And when having your tires mounted, it doesn't matter wheather you bring in the whole car or just your wheels seperately as I sometimes do, same price! They also have extra services that you can purchace(should you want them---not me). IIRC, they sell lifetime flat repair and road hazard warranty(RHW) at extra cost but, you'd have to ask as I'm sure each W*M may do things differently across the country.

Last edited:
Shoudda bought 'em locally so you can get free air,free rotations,and a prorated credit,if the tires wear less than the warranty miles. We have Discount Tire down here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back