Reclaimed Oil for push mower.

I mean, I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t do that. My small mower uses 3/4 of a quart. I will tell you I don’t think I have ever bought oil for it. It gets the 1/4 quart left in bottom of a 5quart jug from my wife’s oil change and then another half quart from the jig from the leftover from my sons oil change. Clean oil though.

It seems like I remember seeing an analysis on the "no change" engines along these lines:

The "average" homeowner will probably mow around 40 times a year(once a week for the spring/summer/fall) and run the engine for about an hour every time they use it. That's 40 hours a year, which honestly is probably high(I'd guess a lot of people who spend an hour pushing have a yard big enough to consider a rider).

At the end of 10 years, the mower will have accumulated 400 hours give-or-take. Between the fairly high quality air filter used on the no-change engines and keeping the crankcase topped off with a quality oil, the estimated engine life is ~500 hours.

After 10 years, on a typical consumer grade mower, there's a decent chance the deck will be rotten, other parts will be worn out, and/or the typical owner will just be ready for something new by that point.

Even when I was mowing our yard with a $200 Wal-Mart mower with a no-oil-change engine(my wife bought it right after she bought the house we're in, which was about a year before I met her) I still changed the oil every year, but truth be told after ~4 years the deck was already getting a bit thin in spots(and I was pretty picky about cleaning it when I was done with it for the day). There wasn't a lot of steel there to begin with(so glad everything I use now is alloy). I don't know if it would have even made 10 years.

As to the OP's premise-it seems nutty to me, but at the same time their mower is probably getting fresher oil than 99% of the homeowner push mowers out there. Granted when I actually had to worry about changing mower oil(mine never gets intentionally changed now :) , or perhaps you could say I constantly change it) I almost always just used whatever partial bottle I had from a car oil change and called it a day. Most of the time it was Mobil1 5W-30, although at least once I had VR1 20W-50 in it. That made for fun starting that fall...
After 10 years and 500 hours if the deck rusts out on a push mower I'll jack up the engine and roll another deck under it.
Up until a few years ago I had a seriously used early 1990s Briggs and Stratton engine on a brand new deck made around 2012, that engine blew the F apart in 2020 and I put another heavily used 2000s brigs engine on that deck and still use, it it's my backup mower.
Every year to every other year I see a brand new push mower with a blown engine for sale for $20 or less at Lowes, I usually buy them when I see them and use them for parts that where the 2012 deck came from.
My problem is dust. I glue paper air filters in place with rtv and change oil every year.
I'll probably save my year old riding mower oil and use it for engine break in as it's only going to be used for 20 or 30 minutes, to flush neglected small engines again it's only going to be ran for 20 to 60 minutes or as chainsaw barchain oil where it will only be used for a few seconds and maybe run it in a push mower for the whole season.
If the mower deck rusts out of my 19.5hp 46 inch riding mower I'll head to the local small engine shop and buy the deck off some junk mower, hopefully a 54 to 60 inch deck with plenty of meat on it and make it fit.

I mean, I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t do that. My small mower uses 3/4 of a quart. I will tell you I don’t think I have ever bought oil for it. It gets the 1/4 quart left in bottom of a 5quart jug from my wife’s oil change and then another half quart from the jig from the leftover from my sons oil change. Clean oil though.
Yeah I dump those in a quart container and use them in whatever. That quart bottle with the jug left overs in it is usually empty.

I worked at AutoZone when the ValuCraft brand oil came out. We were convinced it was just the stuff out of the recycling pits, filtered and bottled. Lol.

That stuff looked rough straight out of the bottle. I hated having to actually let people buy it. Mobil 5000 was like $1.29 or so a quart at the time. VC was under a buck and people would buy it to change the oil in their nice new cars. Horrible. Lol

What’s wrong with recycled
Oil of done properly and it let specs?? Guess nextgen was a bad idea too🤣🤣🤣

“Used or reclaimed oil” should be recycled or possibly burned for power burned cleanly if possible. I care about my mower and Focus’s too much to pour dirty, nasty oil thru them. “Flush” or not: doesn’t sound healthy or practical.

The US military still buys recycled oil to use in gasoline and diesel engines. Even new it's still kinda dark. USPS was using recycled oil, probably still are.
I recall that AMOCO oil was dark from the get go. Not implying that it was re-refined or recycled oil in general. I bought many 1 gallon 10w40 jugs from K-Mart for under 6 dollars in the early 90's. I was broke then and I had to buy only the least expensive of what was available for my 1982 Toyota truck with the carbed 22r engine. I ran the cheapest oil filter I could find at the time which was the Fram PH-8A. I want to say that I could buy that filter for 1.50 when on sale at K-Mart. The truck always started even when it was below 20 degrees outside. Sometimes I had to really pump the gas pedal to get it going but when it fired up it was good to go.

What’s wrong with recycled
Oil of done properly and it let specs?? Guess nextgen was a bad idea too🤣🤣🤣

“Used or reclaimed oil” should be recycled or possibly burned for power burned cleanly if possible. I care about my mower and Focus’s too much to pour dirty, nasty oil thru them. “Flush” or not: doesn’t sound healthy or practical.
Yeah I soak logs in used motor oil and burn them.

If it was older equipment I didn’t care about, used oil might be a thing, but I could never do it. Even a quart of cheap Walmart oil would provide better piece of mind for me.

For $8 a year my rider probably sees far better lubrication. A 5 quart jug of penzoil 10-30 synthetic can be had for $26. Changed annually, that’s 3 changes, maybe 4. It’s received synthetic from its first change and makes it a year with no top-off needed.

If it was older equipment I didn’t care about, used oil might be a thing, but I could never do it. Even a quart of cheap Walmart oil would provide better piece of mind for me.

For $8 a year my rider probably sees far better lubrication. A 5 quart jug of penzoil 10-30 synthetic can be had for $26. Changed annually, that’s 3 changes, maybe 4. It’s received synthetic from its first change and makes it a year with no top-off needed.
I'm running 20w-50 Castrol GTX classic that was on Walmart clearance, till it runs out. My riding mower runs 260f or higher so it gets an oil that ends in 50.

Last edited:
Since the Camrys spec 0W20 that gets added to the heating oil. I also use it for bar oil. The Predators are recoil start, so they get 5w30. Mowers get 20w50 new.

Since the Camrys spec 0W20 that gets added to the heating oil. I also use it for bar oil. The Predators are recoil start, so they get 5w30. Mowers get 20w50 new.
Project farm tests seems to indicate that thinner oils like motor oil with anti wear additives are better than super thick oils with no anti wear additives. I can only guess it's because the thiner oil pumps easier, you get more of it and the anti wear additives.

Burned up all that reclaimed oil in 3 neglected push mowers just doing top offs then flushes. It saved a few quarts of Walmart brand 15w-40 I bought on clearance last year for $3 a quart. But once that's gone I'll be using regular full priced stuff or my coveted Walmart clearance priced 20w-50 Castrol GTX classic that I have to order at full price if I want more.
I sold 2 of the mowers all they cost me was an air filter for each one, a new blade for one, 3/4 of a quart of that Walmart 15w-40 oil in each, maybe a half gallon of gas. After they're fixed I run at least one full tank of gas through them to make sure they'll keep going at least for a while.
The third mower is a pile. The grass discharge chute/cover is completely gone, the air intake filter housing is smashed and missing, one of the deck bolts broke off on the engine and it's still burning/blowing by a lot of oil covering the filter with oil.
I'll probably keep it as my 2nd backup mower for now. It can be the mower I let people barrow if they need to use a mower.
Lucky I have a couple new style Briggs and Stratton 2 hole air filters in my trash that hadn't been dumped. I picked them back out, blew them off with compressed air and put on the junk mower as it soaks the paper with oil after 2hr hours of use. No need in wasting new $10 each air filters to see if it will ever stop burning oil.
I'll drag that junk mower behind my riding mower to get the tall weeds that go between my Riding mowers blades.

Gorilla tape to hold the air filter on.
The oil is nice and clear now.
The oil that first came out of it looked like it had gone back in time to kill people.
IMG_20240625_163528_5.jpg

I can't tell you how many times I've done an oil change on one of my cars, usually too early and I'm like "****, I could have used this in my lawn mower"
I change the oil in my wife's car as early as 3500 miles during the winter due to fuel dilution. I was burning it as 4% gas in the oil burns pretty good. I bet it would be fine in a mower, the mower gets hot up to 260f which is way hotter than her cars oil gets and would burn off most of that gasoline.

Back