Reclaimed Oil for push mower.

Why bother changing the oil?

Trolling? :unsure:
Indeed. Reusing old oil is like... just not changing it?

Oh wait, now that I think about it, it might have been a few years since I changed mine... might be due, come to think of it... so maybe I shouldn't talk. :ROFLMAO:

I'm also not sure why they posted a thread without a question... it's just a statement that the OP is using used motor oil.

"Hey guys I'm too cheap to buy new oil, and instead waste time swapping used oil between my mowers." 🤣😵‍💫

For much of my adult life you could grab a basic B&S for $150 - and what I’d get - around $300. Now it’s $300 & $500 respectively …
I had one I bought in 1994 for $89, or $99, I think. It had a 3.5 hp engine. I threw it away, still running fine, to get a self-propelled Honda in 1999, along with a Honda Harmony 2013 Lawn Tractor I got the same year. Those 25-year old machines are still running great, and have not used recycled oil in them yet.

Brilliant marketing strategy! Do those engines have internal features, such as a sludge trap, to make "no change" viable?
It's really to sell the public on the "no maintenance/low maintenance idea" just like newer cars. Briggs is banking on the fact that if you just add oil when it is low, the engine will still outlast the deck, which for most mowers is likely the case.

I remember when I was a kid , my Dad had the old push mowers with the B&S engines . He never did anything to them except put gas in them . Never changed the oil , cleaned the air filter or sharpen the blade . When I got old enough to mow grass around the neighborhood for money I learned how to take care of them .

1. I always allude to a lawn mower being so close to the ground, it has to be ingesting dirt, as in 'soil'. How can you NOT change it out?

2. After repeated instances of very low oil in my friends' and family members' vehicles, I took to changing my own oil early and always having a jug of it handy. My partially used oil is way better than the roofing tar in their crankcases.
I'd fill 'em up and tell them to get an oil change ASAP. If they didn't get an oil change, they're still better off by quite a bit.
That, my friends, is an actual good use for 'reclaimed oil'.

I think the original poster is pursuing false economies. The oil on small engines is subject to high operating temperatures. It can take on water. There is no hierarchy of used oil going from one engine to another. You should be buying inexpensive new oils from Amazon probably. A five quart jug might last you half a decade and your oil will protect the whole time. If you are that cheap, you could probably push the oil through two seasons.
Your 2 points are mutually exclusive. How is it going to take on water and be subjected to high temperature?
Also new oil still in the jug loses anti oxident protection after several years so keeping a jug of oil for 10 years isn't the best idea either.

OP, clearly you kicked over an ant bed. They are extremely concerned about the health of your push mowers.

They are not thinking about WMO or heating oil or using it as a wood preserver either but lets focus on the health of the push mowers. Tell us more about the push mowers.
They're old and I got them for free. My newest one is a flat head 6hp Briggs from the 2000s

1. I always allude to a lawn mower being so close to the ground, it has to be ingesting dirt, as in 'soil'. How can you NOT change it out?

2. After repeated instances of very low oil in my friends' and family members' vehicles, I took to changing my own oil early and always having a jug of it handy. My partially used oil is way better than the roofing tar in their crankcases.
I'd fill 'em up and tell them to get an oil change ASAP. If they didn't get an oil change, they're still better off by quite a bit.
That, my friends, is an actual good use for 'reclaimed oil'.
Normally I soak logs in my used motor oil and transmission fluid then burn them in my coal furnace. Now that you mentioned it it's a about time to start soaking logs for this winter.

On today's episode we're gonna pour reclaimed "Mobil 2" on pancakes to save a few bucks on syrup.

But seriously - I'd have no problems using that reclaimed oil on a chain saw. And not gonna gum things up like "Bar & Chain oil", while still being very effective.

If you aren't going to do it properly, why bother?
Just top it off from your castoff can.
Cast off oil gets drained into the reclaimed jug too. So there's some fresh oil in there. I don't want to keep a 5 or 10qt jug that only has 6oz left in it.

But seriously - I'd have no problems using that reclaimed oil on a chain saw. And not gonna gum things up like "Bar & Chain oil", while still being very effective.
I still have two full 5 gallon buckets of gear oil from the last place I worked. We changed it out of big gear boxes that held 7ish gallons of oil every year so the oil was still nice and honey colored. Use it for bar and chain oil.

Back