Reason I Only Use Hyundai OEM Air Filters Now !

Well, Not sure what to tell you. I have used aftermarket filters on my wifes Sonata for 9 yrs. 2012 Sonata GLS we bought new in July 2011. I changed the oil every 5k miles with Castrol Edge EP 5/20 using whatever air filters were on sale at Rock Auto and used the "Premium Guard" oil filters also through Rock Auto. Had UOA's done with zero issues.

You may want to check your air intake hose clamps. Maybe they are lose? Or maybe your TB clamps are lose. Dirty air is getting in somewhere, but I doubt its because of aftermarket filters.

Just my 10 cents. Over 9 yeas and 100k plus miles on our Sonata.
Odds are much more likely that you'll get a better fit with OEM. Seriously, swapping out Castrol Edge EP at 5k intervals? Be better off using a blend instead of wasting money and a top quality engine oil.

I noticed a tighter fit with the Toyota OEM air filter for my 1992 Pickup. It's a shame I just bought a couple of Wix filters for the Toyota and Subaru. I am reluctant to use them now..
That is the round filter? I had a 92 Toyota p/u with the 3.0 engine one of my most favorite vehicles ever I used rtv to glue the air filter to the clean side of the housing.

That is the round filter? I had a 92 Toyota p/u with the 3.0 engine one of my most favorite vehicles ever I used rtv to glue the air filter to the clean side of the housing.

No, my Toyota 1992 pickup has the 22RE engine and has a rectangular shaped air filter.

*I bought an after market air filter , used for less than 10K miles and during that time I had a UOA that showed increased levels of silicon . I checked the slide in after market air filter and it was relatively clean so the high levels of silicon perplexed me . In order to try and remedy the problem I bought a genuine Hyundai Air filter for my 2017 Sonata and installed it : What I first noticed was the snug fit while being installed - no side ways wiggle at all as compared to the after market air filter . Also when comparing the two air filters the Hyundai air filter has wider gasketing material than the after market air filter . What I conclude is that after comparing the the Hyundai OEM air filter against the after market filter is while the filter media appeared similar , both had twist locking tabs - the Hyundai air filter has a wider gasket and a tighter fit with no side ways play at all . I now believe dirt (silicon) levels increased in my UOA with the after market air filter because silicon was skirting around the loose fit of the after market air filter and sneaking into the engine from the sides of the loose fitting after market air filter . Perhaps not all after market air filters are not loose but I do not want to find out . In my case , Hyundai OEM air filters fit best and due to my previous UOA increased levels of silicon with the after market air filter I have permanently switched to Hyundai OEM air filters for my Sonata.
Since you have all Hyundai/Kia cars, do you do a mass buy from the plethora of discount Hyundai online sites that are actual brick and mortar dealers? Save $$$$

Back