Real Syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilymoily
I’m using M1 0-20 in both ...

Dan in ABQ

As I've been told, and I invite those more knowledgeable then me to share their knowledge and correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told that a 0w rating can't be achieved with non-synthetic dino oil. As such any 0w-XX rated oil will have to have a significant enough amount of Group IV or V synthetic in it to be able to achieve a 0w-XX rating. But I haven't researched the matter personally, but I'm sure others will correct me if I've been misinformed.

So if you're not seeing the mileage gains that you were hoping to see with M1 0w-20, I don't think changing to a higher priced synthetic would help you in the mileage department. (BTW, although M1 is the easiest to find, I believe that PP and Valvoline both have 0w-20 available, as well as other manufacturers).

If you really want to squeeze out some more mileage, try driving a bit slower, or maybe seeing if there's a different route to drive to normal/daily location, routes with less hills, less stop lights, more nice steady driving that helps bring up gas mileage. Obviously these options may not be applicable to everyone, but if they apply to you I think you'll see more improvements from them then moving to a different oil then the M1 0w-20 you currently have

Originally Posted By: sicko
As I've been told, and I invite those more knowledgeable then me to share their knowledge and correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told that a 0w rating can't be achieved with non-synthetic dino oil. As such any 0w-XX rated oil will have to have a significant enough amount of Group IV or V synthetic in it to be able to achieve a 0w-XX rating.

Quote from Lube Report 6/24/09:

"SK Energy and Petronas have created a new tier of base oil, Rousmaniere continued, with viscosity index above 130. “You can make a 0W-20 without PAO using a Group III with V.I. over 130,” he said..."

Tom NJ

35.gif
Gett'n ready for a 5-page topic!

Kind of rediculous,since this topic comes up about every 2-weeks or so.

For ME, A "real" syn has at minimum 15% group-v (avaition turbofan lubricant) in the base oil blend with NO grp-iii. I am ony aware of a few oils that have this. Redline, Motul 300v or E-Tech (now x-max?) and Silkolene Pro-S. What else?
(And what was the old tri-synthetic formula M1? POE/AN/PAO blend?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back