Raybestos R-300 Rotors + Pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

Any thoughts about the aforementioned? It is time to change the rotors on my FX4 and these seem to have decent features and the price is acceptable. Are good/bad/junk?

Also, I see Bosch rotors out there; any thoughts on these?

Input appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been a fan of drilled or slotted rotors, but maybe Raybestos' S-slot design will run quietly and not wear the pads as bad as radial slots. But I'd bet that they would wear the pads worse than a smooth rotor. The only feature about the rotor that I think is a real benefit is the Grey Fusion coating for improved rust resistance.

I have no experience with Raybestos R-300 Rotors, so I can't give you any opinion about it.

But, I have a question: Why do you think you need new rotors (front only ?) ? With your mostly highway mileage the rotors should lasted a lot longer than 100k miles and 5 years.

I have r 300 rotors and advance technology pads on the front my truck. I would have to check my log book, but I bet I have at least 30k miles on them. I like their S groove design over traditional drill/slotted... when it comes time to do the rear I'm going to use R300's and AT pads.

As a daily driver i didnt notice much, though it seems to have better bite in wet weather.

I have had zero brake fade when towing even when braking aggressively.

Two thumbs way up from me

Last edited:
I will be installing "Frontline" rotors from AAP on my 2011 F150 with just under 70k this summer. Turned the OEM rotors at 40k and the vibration is back again...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I have a question: Why do you think you need new rotors (front only ?) ? With your mostly highway mileage the rotors should lasted a lot longer than 100k miles and 5 years.
I have one question and a comment:

1. Why are you assuming that my miles are mostly highway? I have a 60 mile daily commute in the heart of Houston traffic five times per week which is hardly conducive to brake longevity (not to mention the towing that I do).

2. My FX4 has 150K on it and thus far I have only managed about 75K per brake set. Pulsation sets in and requires rotor turning or rotor replacement. Since I have only managed 75K on MC parts, I want to try something else.

Make sense?

Originally Posted By: buck91
I will be installing "Frontline" rotors from AAP on my 2011 F150 with just under 70k this summer. Turned the OEM rotors at 40k and the vibration is back again...
This seems to be a common problem with F150s. I have used MC and Wagner pads and it happened with both. I am assuming that your steering wheel shakes as you brake from a relatively moderate speed?

Its not the worst brake vibration I've ever had, but yes. Plenty of life left in pads but I don't care much for turning rotors to begin with, left alone multiple times.

Still, not as bad as trying to keep the brakes in those older (pre-1998) Crown Vics workign smoothly.

Plenty of life left in pads but I don't care much for turning rotors to begin with, left alone multiple times.
Same here; pads are still good, but the pulsation/vibration has to go. I will have a look at the AAP rotors that you are considering.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
This seems to be a common problem with F150s. I have used MC and Wagner pads and it happened with both. I am assuming that your steering wheel shakes as you brake from a relatively moderate speed?

I've got a '10 F-150 supercrew 4x4 5.4 that I've never really had the brake vibrations. I did however glaze the stock mc pads at around 45k while towing heavy with an equipment trailer running failed brakes and running mountain curves.... Swapped pads to ebc yellow stuff and cleaned rotors up, went on for another 40k of heavy towing, hills, etc.

Pads still had some life in them and rotors were clean with no cooked on uneven deposits that typically cause the vibrations. Rotors were worn to where I didn't want to turn them. Running raybestos advanced technology rotors with no issues and EBC extra duty pads. A bit more bite than the yellow stuff pads and rotors are solid. The yellow stuff with stock fomoco rotors would throw you through the windshield if hammered brakes empty. The extra duties I haven't fully hammered on them empty as they have more than I need empty. They have plenty for stopping heavy loads without trailer brakes, which is what I need. Zero fade with ate super blue fluid. No complaints. Ebc customer service is awesome also.

I'm sure the raybestos slotted rotors are good. You'd probably have more braking force by running better pads, however. The rotor lines from raybestos are same as the napa offering that raybestos manufactures.

Biggest thing is while coming to a stop on hot brakes, especially towing, I usually creep along and roll up to a stop (or keep rolling to avoid complete stop at redlights) rather than just coming to a sudden stop. Or better yet, coast down a little with no brakes. Coming to a sudden stop with the pads clamped is a good way to cook on some brake pads material to your rotors and get the pulsing/vibration feedback from rotors.

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/extra-duty-light-truck-jeep-and-suv-brake-pads/

Last edited:
We used to buy their Brute Stop line in the old days. Had excellent quality, I would tend to trust their name a bit.

But as hinted at earlier, too many folks confuse pad issues with rotor issues. The guys in the rusty areas need coated stuff, us milder climes do not. Otherwise, iron is iron. A properly machined rotor that matches ALL factory specs or even exceeds them is going to be good no matter who made it. The trick is avoiding the cheaper chinese and knock offs that are everywhere now.

As for slotteds, they are OEM on my sig car because of pad issues. Very few real benefits, I would rather change pads. Drilled and slotted are for bling, I have a set of those for the street...

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I have a question: Why do you think you need new rotors (front only ?) ? With your mostly highway mileage the rotors should lasted a lot longer than 100k miles and 5 years.
I have one question and a comment:

1. Why are you assuming that my miles are mostly highway? I have a 60 mile daily commute in the heart of Houston traffic five times per week which is hardly conducive to brake longevity (not to mention the towing that I do).

2. My FX4 has 150K on it and thus far I have only managed about 75K per brake set. Pulsation sets in and requires rotor turning or rotor replacement. Since I have only managed 75K on MC parts, I want to try something else.

Make sense?

Since you accumulate 150k miles in about 5 years so I assume that these are mostly highway miles. I was wrong, sorry.

I agree that if OE rotor only lasted 70-80k miles then it is time to try something else.

It seems that my post somehow upsetting you, for that I'm sorry.

It seems that my post somehow upsetting you, for that I'm sorry.
Not at all and no need to apologize; I just wanted to clarify since it could easily seem that I only have highway miles
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Considering the mileage you accrue, I would have guessed your original pads would last a half million miles.
wink.gif

Not with the towing and city driving, BUT I would not have guessed that two sets of MC rotors and a set of MC pads and a set of Wagner TQs would have only lasted 75K each.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
I have r 300 rotors and advance technology pads on the front my truck. I would have to check my log book, but I bet I have at least 30k miles on them. I like their S groove design over traditional drill/slotted... when it comes time to do the rear I'm going to use R300's and AT pads.

As a daily driver i didnt notice much, though it seems to have better bite in wet weather.

I have had zero brake fade when towing even when braking aggressively.

Two thumbs way up from me

Well i finally look in my log book... I have had them on alot longer than I thought.

I have 60k miles on mine and they are still doing great
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back