Do you have a go to rotor/pads combo you like?

How rough on rotors are the EBC Yellowstuff pads? Do they chew them up like semi-metallic pads?
They are about the only performance pad, other than semi-metallic, that are available for both my stock Barracuda Kelsey-Hayes front brakes and the 2004 Jeep Liberty disc brakes I run on the rear.
I like to match friction compounds on the front and rear. As the front rotors for this car seem to be out of production, I need to make those in my stash last. That probably means moving away from semi-metallic.
I don't want much. Just matching high friction street pads that stop well cold and are easy on rotors! 😂
Hoping EBC Yellowstuff may fit the bill.
Thanks for your input.
Not that I have experienced. Try them out!

Not a Element 3 fan, warped on my wife's Element within a few thousand miles. Will be going Wagner when I get around to replacing them. Have Wagner severe duty on my Expedition and C1500 and like them pretty well. Have used Bosch quietcast with good luck when I had a couple Volvo's and Pagid on my old Mercedes as well. Napa severe duty did very well on an old Dakota I had for about 40k just fine. Duralast and Raybestos are brands I will avoid from now on but others like them, such is life.

I’ll second @wlk regarding Bosch. I swapped all 4 rotors to Bosch on a friends Camry and they’ve held up well. Pretty sure I used element3 for pads. He’s been very happy with it.

Reactions: wlk
I’ll second @wlk regarding Bosch. I swapped all 4 rotors to Bosch on a friends Camry and they’ve held up well. Pretty sure I used element3 for pads. He’s been very happy with it.
Which Bosch pads? Ceramic??

Stoptech 309s pads, ive put it on everything I drive, yes they had XJ fitment :D

If someone was looking for lower dusting pad then the Raybestoes Hybrid pads would be my pick.

For rotors well, not really sure there is a good way to gauge this. I usually buy the cheapest coated rotors I can find from any reputable brand.

I like Detroit Axle drilled and slotted rotors, and their ceramic pads. They work great, look great, last a long time, they’re affordable, and are their ceramic pads are low dust.

Detroit Axle products are made in China. The name sounds American, but its just the name that’s American.

I had DA slotted and drilled rotors and ceramic pads on my 2010 Ford Taurus sho, and I’ve had DA rotors and pads on it for about 30,000 miles, and they were in excellent shape. I sold the car recently, but I’m sure it can go at least another 30,000 miles no sweat.

Now I got a 2001 Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4. I bought a complete brake replacement kit for only $220 on EBay from Detroit Axle. Got drilled and slotted rotors front and back, got ceramic pads for front and back, all the hardware, and the kit came with a bottle of brake fluid, and a can of brake clean. Great deal for $220. Truck stops on a dime.

Detroit Axle drilled and slotted rotors, and their ceramic pads are my go to rotor/pad combo. They work great, good price, and last a long time.

Well that’s enough ranting for today, but I hope people give DA a shot! A lot of people seem to not like DA brakes, but I love them.

Raybestos Element3 have worked well on several applications that I used them on, for myself, family, and friends. Long lasting, no complaints, good pricing.
I have been a happy user of these pads for YEARS using them on all my vehicles as well and probably installing hundreds of sets for customers...BUT...this year I had 3 occurances where the pads did not fit well and actually I needed to file off some metal.. My son had a set on his truck that we noticed last month the pad material was delaminating (pads were 1yr old)- that was the last straw so we stopped buying them. I just started using Duralast's Gold and above line of pads and they have been very high quality. Added bonus the savings I get with my AZ commercial account and same day deliver within an hour and I am happy! Thinking back I used DL brakes before going to Raybestos E3 and never any issues. I will use Powerstop, Centric and others from time to time as well. I just couldn't turn my head to the the quality issues I suddenly started to see with the E3 pads.

I like Detroit Axle drilled and slotted rotors, and their ceramic pads. They work great, look great, last a long time, they’re affordable, and are their ceramic pads are low dust.

Detroit Axle products are made in China. The name sounds American, but its just the name that’s American.

I had DA slotted and drilled rotors and ceramic pads on my 2010 Ford Taurus sho, and I’ve had DA rotors and pads on it for about 30,000 miles, and they were in excellent shape. I sold the car recently, but I’m sure it can go at least another 30,000 miles no sweat.

Now I got a 2001 Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4. I bought a complete brake replacement kit for only $220 on EBay from Detroit Axle. Got drilled and slotted rotors front and back, got ceramic pads for front and back, all the hardware, and the kit came with a bottle of brake fluid, and a can of brake clean. Great deal for $220. Truck stops on a dime.

Detroit Axle drilled and slotted rotors, and their ceramic pads are my go to rotor/pad combo. They work great, good price, and last a long time.

Well that’s enough ranting for today, but I hope people give DA a shot! A lot of people seem to not like DA brakes, but I love them.
WOW that is the 1st time I ever heard anything good about DA! I won't touch their chassis parts if they were given to me.

I have been a happy user of these pads for YEARS using them on all my vehicles as well and probably installing hundreds of sets for customers...BUT...this year I had 3 occurances where the pads did not fit well and actually I needed to file off some metal.. My son had a set on his truck that we noticed last month the pad material was delaminating (pads were 1yr old)- that was the last straw so we stopped buying them. I just started using Duralast's Gold and above line of pads and they have been very high quality. Added bonus the savings I get with my AZ commercial account and same day deliver within an hour and I am happy! Thinking back I used DL brakes before going to Raybestos E3 and never any issues. I will use Powerstop, Centric and others from time to time as well. I just couldn't turn my head to the the quality issues I suddenly started to see with the E3 pads.
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had a problem yet, but I haven't used hundreds of sets either. Rest assured if I do I'll be looking elsewhere. I had shorter pad life from AAP's pads and Duralast, and stopped using both as a result. Driving conditions have been similar for years, so I really can't blame that.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had a problem yet, but I haven't used hundreds of sets either. Rest assured if I do I'll be looking elsewhere. I had shorter pad life from AAP's pads and Duralast, and stopped using both as a result. Driving conditions have been similar for years, so I really can't blame that.
You are right about the wear on the Duralast but you can get a free replacement set 1 time.

I mean I really loved those E3's because they stopped a little better, much less dust, quiet and under $35 most applications on RA! I did throw a set on a Tahoe a month ago because customer brought them and they actually did fit fine so who knows maybe I just got unlucky each time and like anything else mass produced there are gonna be defects. I might start ordering them again.

You are right about the wear on the Duralast but you can get a free replacement set 1 time.

I mean I really loved those E3's because they stopped a little better, much less dust, quiet and under $35 most applications on RA! I did throw a set on a Tahoe a month ago because customer brought them and they actually did fit fine so who knows maybe I just got unlucky each time and like anything else mass produced there are gonna be defects. I might start ordering them again.
If you order them again I'd be interested in your observations. I'll be using them tomorrow on the rear of the Subaru I did last week.

How rough on rotors are the EBC Yellowstuff pads? Do they chew them up like semi-metallic pads?
They are about the only performance pad, other than semi-metallic, that are available for both my stock Barracuda Kelsey-Hayes front brakes and the 2004 Jeep Liberty disc brakes I run on the rear.
I like to match friction compounds on the front and rear. As the front rotors for this car seem to be out of production, I need to make those in my stash last. That probably means moving away from semi-metallic.
I don't want much. Just matching high friction street pads that stop well cold and are easy on rotors! 😂
Hoping EBC Yellowstuff may fit the bill.
Thanks for your input.
You might want to look at the EBC Greenstuff flavors for a little more ease on the rotors, if memory serves...

In descending order of cost:

OEM
NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and Adaptive One
Raybestos Element3 rotors and pads

I have had excellent service from all of these.

The finest parts in the world won't save you from "warped rotors" and there's a bit of grit, flashing, or peening on the hub, and you don't catch it by measuring rotor runout before putting it into service.

I've asked dozens of people with "warped rotors" what the as-installed, and after "warping" runout measurements were. I have yet to get an answer.

I put Centric posi-quiet pads and Centric rotors on my 17 Accord last summer.

Just put Element 3 rotors/pads on her 15 Altima today. The front pads were a tight fit. Took it for a test drive after doing the fronts and heard a little squeak squeak here and there on the right front. Took off the pads and filed down the pad ears a little and fit better.

The rotors were oem from when we bought the car in Louisiana in 2015 and then moved back to Massachusetts in 2018. Very rusty. Hoping these rotors hood up to the rust a little better

Attachments

• IMG_4257.jpeg
    IMG_4257.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4258.jpeg
    IMG_4258.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4260.jpeg
    IMG_4260.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4261.jpeg
    IMG_4261.jpeg