Raybestos R-300 Rotors + Pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only used their heavy duty OEM replacement models but never had any issues with them

I like wise have had great luck with Brembo brand.

I have two sets of r300 rotors with akebono pads.

The MDX runs the first set I bought and they have been absolutely fantastic in that vehicle. Far surpassed pedal feel and braking power over what had been on there before, which was either oem or dealer-supplied.

The Tundra also has the r300 rotors and akebono pads up front. it's been a mixed bag. Two of the rotors came defective (one had a visible hairline crack in it under the zinc coating) and I've had to re-bed them 3 times now to try to keep them from pulsing. The pulsing is more of a vibration than a pulse and it may be that the "ground" areas stay slightly cooler than the rest, making the bedding process a little harder. The last time I did it, I bedded them well into brake-fade mushy pedal. That seems to be holding for now.

I do notice in the truck a sort of "metallic pad feel" to them. That is, they work better hot, and tend to be a little numb when cold for the first mile. I have never felt that in a "normal" pad before, only metallics. It's not bad, just enough to be noticed. This does not show up in the formulation akebono uses on the mdx.

The truck's brakes see towing ~6 times per year; they get used a lot harder than the MDX.

The application in the MDX, however, has been flawless and excellent.

Last edited:
I went with Raybestos advanced technology rotors & pads and on the front and Raybestos professional grade rotors and Wagner TQs on the rear along with Raybestos professional grade emergency brake shoes. For some reason, I had a new box of TQs for the rear on the shelf in the garage (although I do not remember buying them).

Thus far, the overall braking is much improved and the shudder is gone (which was the objective). The front rotors were heavily scored and the pads had large patches of metal in the pad media (there were semi-metallic, but it was a bit overkill on the metal). Sorry there are no photos--I did not have my phone handy.

I will post an update after my vacation trip this year on how they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back