168k miles on these front rotors and pads - 2014 Durango

wwillson

Staff member
I took a front wheel off to see how the brakes are doing on the Durango. These are the original pads and rotors at 168k miles. 99% of the miles were driven by yours truly. I have a new set of rotors and pads sitting in the garage, but it doesn't look like I will need them any time soon. I simply look ahead and plan ahead. No driving to a light and slamming on the brakes.

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

Last edited:
How do you keep the rotors from rusting into scrap. those are 2.4x as old and 5x the milage of the ones I replaced this summer on the elantra and they weren't pretty.
The brake pads well I drive about 5% of the miles on the elantra... heh former(long time ago) paper delivery person drives it.

OTOH I got 2 rotors and pads for about $100 and it was the easiest brake job I ever did.

1700274489594.png

How do you keep the rotors from rusting into scrap.
I do nothing special. The only thing I can think of is the Durango always sits inside where it is usually above freezing. That may give it a chance to dry. Salt isn't corrosive when it's dry, when wet, it's game-on.

Yeah I've always wondered what curses rotors to look like records, if it's the pad material, if grit gets in there. "They" say semi-metallic pads are better at polishing rotors, which would be good for an infrequently driven car that flash-rusts from humidity.

OP might take the opportunity to grease the pins and make sure the pad ears haven't swollen from rust.

I bought pads for the 2017 Tahoe thinking it was time at 80k …
Turns out they were still very thick and the rotors smooth …
Was a tough choice - but put the new pads & related on …

Nice. I got 70k on my 2018 F150 pads (rotors are still like new front and back, zero grooves or edge) and thought I was doing good!

I would change them and inspect the calipers. I had caliper failure on my ram at 136k

A coworker and I got new Chevy 1500 trucks at the same time in 2007, or 2008. We decided to compete on wear items as to who could stretch them out the longest.

He won on brakes, taking his to 100,000, whereas mine were at 85,000 or so, and the rears so rusted they had to keep the truck overnight to do finish them. In fairness, his role was more highway, and mine was more gravel.

Yours are an inspiration!

My Jeeps both sit outside and I’m switching to coated rotors to see if that gives me a few more years of use out of them….I wind up changing them due to rust never wear…

Yeah I've always wondered what curses rotors to look like records, if it's the pad material, if grit gets in there. "They" say semi-metallic pads are better at polishing rotors, which would be good for an infrequently driven car that flash-rusts from humidity.

OP might take the opportunity to grease the pins and make sure the pad ears haven't swollen from rust.
You don't polish by rotation alone, the pad itself isn't rotating like most polisher, so it will still get that record like scratches.

I previously had a 1990 golf GTI 16V (from new). Before it was stolen, it had done over 200k miles of very (very!) fast driving all it's life on OEM disc and only one pad change!
The dsic (rotor) shows a quite wear step. I would measure it just for the pease of mind

Back